No Man's Sky - Part 2 - 1 thread down, 17,999,999,999,999,999,999 to go

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I am not sure what I was doing right at launch, or what I am doing wrong now, but I never had any trouble with pirates, whether there were 1, 2, or 8. After all the patches though, even one gives me trouble. Maybe I am just hanging out in a rougher space neighbourhood. :dunno:

Honestly, I cannot tell a difference. :laugh:

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Honestly, I cannot tell a difference. :laugh:

After starting a fresh perma-death game, I am assuming that if you are using a pre-patch ship, all the stuff that made dog fighting easier with the patches is missing. My pre-patch 48 slot ship handles like a boat and the reticle is static.

I've been looking to buy a new one, but all the ships I find have 25 slots or less.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
After starting a fresh perma-death game, I am assuming that if you are using a pre-patch ship, all the stuff that made dog fighting easier with the patches is missing. My pre-patch 48 slot ship handles like a boat and the reticle is static.

I've been looking to buy a new one, but all the ships I find have 25 slots or less.
No I started a new game. But I did upgrade my ship before I ran into any pirates. I just didn't find it any easier. Haven't lost yet though so maybe that's something.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I gave it a honest go at the release and lost interest after a few weeks and 30-40 hours, went back to it about a month or so ago and started over, it is definitely improved now that it has some semblance of a storyline but yeah it just didn't live up to the hype at the beginning.

Now with lower expectations it is at least a fairly enjoyable time waster

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I haven't played literally since the first week it came out. I still have the game though. I will go back and give it a try on July 24th.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I still play it off and on. Its a much better game now than on its release.

My problem is that I'm easily distracted. I'll binge hard on the game for a month, then drop it for the next 4-5, then return and start a new file.

Reactions: Kelly

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I still play it off and on. Its a much better game now than on its release.

My problem is that I'm easily distracted. I'll binge hard on the game for a month, then drop it for the next 4-5, then return and start a new file.
Yeah, I do that a bit too. Started a new (normal) file after the Atlus Rises patch came out while I was waiting for Ni No Kuni 2 to be released. I suspect I'll just continue that file when I get back into it though. Even with the added story it' the kind of game I feel like you should be able to drop back into.
Was considering starting a survival file though. Had a file going on hard from before the spaceflight improvements, but you lose all your crap when you die (without a grave marker) and it was easy to get stuck in a bad situation, so I figure might as well go all the way
For those who enjoy the game and haven't tried hard/survival, it's a completely different experience.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you're looking for something that's kind of like No Man's Sky, but is more focused and has a story, I highly recommend Subnautica. I played it a few months ago (it was released in January) and had much more fun in it than I ever did in No Man's Sky. It's different in a lot of ways, but in good ways that avoid most of NMS' weaknesses (the grinding, the lack of purpose, building bases that you may end up abandoning, unclear end goal, etc.). It's just a better and more complete game (as opposed to a sandbox), IMO.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Confirmed coming features:
  • Multiplayer
    • Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.
    • You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
    • Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
    • Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
    • Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
    • Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.
  • Visual Overhaul
    • The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
    • Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
    • Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
    • Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.
    • No Man's Sky Next
  • Unlimited Base Building
    • Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
    • Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
    • Hundreds of new base parts.
    • Own multiple bases.
  • Command Freighters
    • Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
    • Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
    • Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
    • Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It looks very good but I'm curious why you don't need ps plus to play online. That's usually only for f2p games.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Multiplayer is a smart idea.

I think Sea of Thieves figured it out: if you're going to release a shell of a game, at least make it multiplayer.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s being released on Xbox later this month.

Is it worth the buy?

Depends on the price. On PS4 it's 20 USD and I'd say it's definitely worth that price even before the Next update. If this Next update (aka the base game for Xbox players) really does everything it says, I'd say it's worth 30, maybe even 40 if you have friends to play with. It's really a beautiful game and if you accept it for what it is, rather than what it should have been from the start, it's fun and a good way to eat a lot of time. It CAN get repetitive though.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The update seems to be getting a pretty positive reaction from both the public and reviewers. Played it for a couple of hours last night, and the materials/elements/blueprints/upgrade system is completely reworked and much deeper than before.

And of course, the game is still absolutely gorgeous, even moreso than before.

Aleshemsky83 said:
It looks very good but I'm curious why you don't need ps plus to play online. That's usually only for f2p games.​
You do need XBox gold or PS+ to play the true multiplayer.

http://gearnuke.com/no-mans-sky-will-require-xbox-live-gold-or-ps-plus-for-online-co-op-multiplayer/

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Sounds like it would've been a really good game had they released it a year later.

Sadly, you only get one release date.
Maybe not. 49,000 players on patch day. 54,000 players today. Peaked at 2,000 last month. This is a rare "re-launch" that's working. Not to the same extent, quite honestly, but 50,000 players is still a big number for Steam.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So - I hated the game. Played it for 3-hours and refunded it on PS4 originally. Game was pretty, except the monsters were really wonky and the gameplay sucked. It's better. Much better. I don't know how much I'll have to do, aside from base-building, but base-building alone with my friends is very fun. And we haven't really created much yet. Base-building and hostile planets will be really fun once we hit end-game down the road, I think.

Anyway, the flying to me isn't all that fun (maybe I'm doing something wrong) but I played 4-hours tonight and want to continue playing. Just having friends makes it better. And I played before the base-building, material refiners, etc, etc.

My first little hut!

2u5cshi.jpg

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Itching to try this game out again.
Not sure when I'll really be able to do it though. Might be a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad