No Man's Sky - Part 2 - 1 thread down, 17,999,999,999,999,999,999 to go

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Been super busy, so I haven't gotten to the update yet (it's downloaded but I'm on a Heroes 3/Civ VI binge), but apparently there's evidence of vehicles in the data files of the update. Not necessarily that they are implemented yet, but something that could be coming in a later update.

I've always wondered what those half cylinder (rounded roof) structures next to some outposts are there for. They're like mini shelters, but they're never really sheltering anything. Perhaps they were meant to be carports and the developers never got around to implementing the "cars." It would be cool if vehicles were to eventually come inside them, allowing you take off on them to explore, if you so choose.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
They definitely added more variety, even beyond what was listed on the patch notes. Playing on survival, and I found a cave/tunnel literally made out of aluminum. Mining beneath my feet sent me plummeting about 25 feet to my eventual doom, because I couldn't find my way out, don't have the grenades yet, and lost all my shield plus a health point from the fall.

My opening planet is murdering me, over and over. Just can't find enough resources to get to my ship (which is about 15 minutes away). Best I've gotten is about 2/3's of the way there. At least it's a really cool planet :laugh:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Has the game gotten to a state where it's worth playing if... say I watched for a $20 sale down the road?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I played it twice, I think. Both four-ish hour sessions.

First session: This is weird, but kind of fun.
Second session: This is weird, but kinda of bland.
Third session: *puts a different game in the PS4 instead*

Haven't looked back since.

Guess eight hours of entertainment's worth twenty bucks. But not the type of game that I'd say is worthwhile going out of your way for. Just sadly a vast bland sea of mostly samey stuff with a lot of repetition. Lots of promise, but didn't really deliver on anything. And this is coming from a guy that loves open world time sinks.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for the response... I don't do a ton of gaming these days, so I'm pretty stingy with my gaming dollars, so even at that level... not worth 20 bucks to me.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Good question. I don't think anyone here still plays who can confirm. I know I don't.
I've been playing survival mode periodically since it came out - not for a bit though. Of course I liked the initial game (played about 60 hours pre-update) as running around finding cool **** so :dunno:

For what it's worth a co-worker got the game post foundation update and loved the game and talked about his base all the time for awhile. I haven't gotten far enough in survival to do much more than start a base :laugh:

The first update certainly addressed some of the complaints: survival mode lends urgency and desperation to every instant outside on some planets (at least early game) and base buidling and an improved materials system allowed for tiered recipes and such.

If your're looking for story, look elsewhere. This game has always been about the journey rather than the destination.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I've been playing survival mode periodically since it came out - not for a bit though. Of course I liked the initial game (played about 60 hours pre-update) as running around finding cool **** so :dunno:

For what it's worth a co-worker got the game post foundation update and loved the game and talked about his base all the time for awhile. I haven't gotten far enough in survival to do much more than start a base :laugh:

The first update certainly addressed some of the complaints: survival mode lends urgency and desperation to every instant outside on some planets (at least early game) and base buidling and an improved materials system allowed for tiered recipes and such.

If your're looking for story, look elsewhere. This game has always been about the journey rather than the destination.

So basically if you like Minecraft, Terraria et al., the game should be enjoyable if you're looking for something spacey?

But otherwise something like Elite Dangerous might be more your cup of tea if you want a hint of narrative with your open world space adventure?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I played it after the foundation update, it's a pretty fun game, basrbuilding adds quite a bit of gameplay. I spent about half my time mining to buy a ship upgrade, and about the other half building my base up. Basrbuilding actually makes it way easier to acquire rare items and resources.

There's just one problem. The storage vault things are completely glitched. They have 7 slots each but only 2 of them work. The possibility that freighters are also glitched has kept me from even attempting to save up for one

I stumbled upon a crash landed ship that had an epgraded warp drive, which meant I could get to an Atlas in 2 warps every single time. But then I put it down. Definitely will try to pick it up again.

Also, sometimes when you save a freighter from a pirate attack the doors stay red forever and you can't get in, this happens quite often to the point where there's pretty much no reason to ever not be a pirate

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So basically if you like Minecraft, Terraria et al., the game should be enjoyable if you're looking for something spacey?

But otherwise something like Elite Dangerous might be more your cup of tea if you want a hint of narrative with your open world space adventure?
I don't know to be honest, haven't played either and minecraft is definitively not my thing. A lot of the appeal for me is the graphics combined with the procedural generation system. I loved finding cool things like a thin land bridge splitting two deep lakes, knowing that I would almost certainly be the only one to find that particular land bridge.

I was always in it for the exploration side of things, which is why I didn't think it was a particularly bad game even upon release (I think Gamespot's 7 was about right, I think Game Informer gave it about the same). This game was always going to be primarily about the exploration. While the crafting was not up to snuff upon release, it seems like they're slowly building depth into the game to supplement the core exploration gameplay.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
:laugh::help::shakehead

Maybe $20 of some 30th world country where $20 = $0.20

Oh, trust me, I hate this game. But part of that hatred (and a big part, TBH) has to do with me paying full price after a very hyped up launch. I still think it's worth $20 just to play around and see what you can do with procedural generation. Plus now all the Sean Murray stuff with the footage and the advertisements have been out there and discussed all over the interwebs so nobody can claim they were tricked.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Oh, trust me, I hate this game. But part of that hatred (and a big part, TBH) has to do with me paying full price after a very hyped up launch. I still think it's worth $20 just to play around and see what you can do with procedural generation. Plus now all the Sean Murray stuff with the footage and the advertisements have been out there and discussed all over the interwebs so nobody can claim they were tricked.
And with for a few more patches like the one it just had - it may be worth the $20. It's an Early Access Alpha game that was released full-price.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
That pathfinder update combined with the last, wow they look great! Time to dust off my game! :handclap:

Also, there's no way this game isn't worth $20 unless you're being just plain ridiculous or don't like these types of games, but why would you even care in that case!

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's definitely getting closer to a complete game, but it absolutely shouldn't have launched at full price.

Good on hello games for attempting to make it right though. Still, its been 8 months.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I don't really give them any credit.They had to do this and earn some goodwill back if they wanted to have a future as a company.They're not a big machine like EA or Ubisoft who can really get away with this type of stuff.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Beefing up the sandbox aspects is all well and good, but it doesn't seem to me as though they've at all addressed the core complaints with the game: that the journey is repetitive, long and unsatisfying. It's like they're doubling down on the things that were already the game's strengths and ignoring the glaring weaknesses. I guess that they figure that anyone still playing is already done with the journey... though one of the purposes of free updates should be to make the game more appealing for first-time buyers (because that's the only source of income), and I'm not sure how many people who put off buying the game because an empty sandbox game wasn't quite to their taste will buy it now that it's sandbox-ier. At the very least, they could fit in a few things to make the journey and endgame more rewarding while they're beefing up the sandbox.

Anyways, I'd check out the latest update, but, somehow, my savegame got corrupted or overwritten and all of my progress was lost. I don't want to play the game from the beginning again, and redo all of that grinding, especially when the journey has hardly been improved upon. I could do Creative mode, I guess, but the lack of challenge doesn't really appeal to me. It's too bad that this isn't the kind of game where you don't mind or even enjoy starting over. For example, if you lose your world in Minecraft, it may be disappointing, but you don't quit playing; you happily start from scratch again. Imagine how awesome this game could've been if they'd figured out how to do something like that, where each game is a new experience.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So two pretty massive free updates/dlc came out

Then they had some huge ARG happen and now another free update/dlc is coming

Love how they doubled down. Hope it works out, I'm still very open to giving this game a chance.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So two pretty massive free updates/dlc came out

Then they had some huge ARG happen and now another free update/dlc is coming

Love how they doubled down. Hope it works out, I'm still very open to giving this game a chance.

Part of the reason I bought it still was because I could see they were still trying to improve the game rather than just completely abandoning it after they fell completely flat at first. They ****ed up at first, but I respect the hell out of them for sticking with it and trying to improve it. Plus, knowing what to really expect going in, I wasn't disappointed. It was beautiful and relaxing. I've enjoyed it so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad