No Man's Sky - Part 2 - 1 thread down, 17,999,999,999,999,999,999 to go

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I was so confused after playing for ~3 hours, I just abandoned the game. I think I died and lost everything, and had no idea what I was doing.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So two pretty massive free updates/dlc came out

Then they had some huge ARG happen and now another free update/dlc is coming

Love how they doubled down. Hope it works out, I'm still very open to giving this game a chance.
Update out

Pretty substantial update. I started a new save a few months ago on the normal difficulty that's only a couple of systems in. It's still fun/relaxing to throw it in for a couple hours and wander around every now and again. Definitely looking forward to throwing it in this weekend sometime.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Im one of the few weird ones that loved this game. Put tons of hours into it on my PS4.

I want to get it on PC now but cant justify $60 to spend on it again. I think it would be more fun on PC. Wish I got it on that in the first place. Does it ever go on sale on the PC?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Im one of the few weird ones that loved this game. Put tons of hours into it on my PS4.

I want to get it on PC now but cant justify $60 to spend on it again. I think it would be more fun on PC. Wish I got it on that in the first place. Does it ever go on sale on the PC?

I believe I saw it for ~$20 sometime the past week. I don't believe it was a Steam price though - it would have been the Steam version, but it was through a company like Indiegala or Humble Bundle, or something like that. I almost bought it, but I decided I can wait, because with how little I game right now, and my back log, I probably wouldn't touch it for a year anyway.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I believe I saw it for ~$20 sometime the past week. I don't believe it was a Steam price though - it would have been the Steam version, but it was through a company like Indiegala or Humble Bundle, or something like that. I almost bought it, but I decided I can wait, because with how little I game right now, and my back log, I probably wouldn't touch it for a year anyway.

Thanks ill keep an eye out for those. Im not a huge Steam gamer to the point where its STEAM OR BUST! So I could care less if any PC game I get is Steam.

Thanks! I will keep an eye out around those places.

EDIT: Boom. Just found it on gog.com for $23.99. Completely DRM free. I have a few games from gog already. Great site to get games. Done. Will download tonight.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I don't have many games there... maybe 40ish, with a number of them being freebies I likely won't play - but I LOVE GOG, and need to support them more.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Update out

Pretty substantial update. I started a new save a few months ago on the normal difficulty that's only a couple of systems in. It's still fun/relaxing to throw it in for a couple hours and wander around every now and again. Definitely looking forward to throwing it in this weekend sometime.

That does seem pretty substantial. For those not keen on going through the patch notes, here are some of the bigger additions:

* An actual story with 30 hours of content.
* Procedurally generated missions. They appear to be just fetch/transport quests, so nothing exciting, but at least they're something to do when you're bored or not sure what to do.
* Planets can now have crashed freighters to explore.
* Some high-res textures have been added, especially to terrain.
* You can now edit (subtract or add) terrain with your multi-tool. This seems to me to be a pretty major thing, so it's surprising that it's so far down the list of additions. Besides being able to customize the landscape around your base, this likely means that you're pretty much no longer in danger of falling into a hole that you can't get out of (which is easy to do while mining, if not exploring).
* Rudimentary co-op with up to 16 players. Again, why is this so far down the list? It must not work nearly as well as one would hope (much like everything about the game), but, still, along with a story, co-op has probably been one of the most requested features.
* A whole lot more, including refinements and additions to pretty much every aspect of the game, but I just wanted to list the major ones. If you're interested in the rest, then you should probably read the patch notes, yourself.

It likely won't all be enough for me to load the game up again so soon, but it increases my interest in doing so eventually, maybe after a few more major updates. It might seem like a totally new experience at that point, which would be fun.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
At under $30, I decided to give this one a shot yesterday.

Unfortunately, 63 mins later, I made my first ever Steam refund. I would say it isn't for me, but I also think that for all the ambition the game still feels and plays like a $10 purchase.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I bought the game for $20 and had a lot of fun with it. But now I'm running into a bug that pretty much makes the game impossible to continue. Every time I land at a space station, my ship refused to launch again. Everything's repaired 100%, but the ship will not fly.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, this bug fixed itself, so I'm back to exploring the galaxy. Just landed on a planet that has the largest Gold rock I've ever seen. Just a single rock has provided me with oodles of Gold, and I've only mined about half.

The downside? I'm not sure if they added it in the recent update or if it's always been like this, but the Galactic Market is ever-changing. I can mine this Gold for days, but I basically get one shot at making a profit. After you flood the market with a resource, its price drops drastically.

Cool feature, but a bit annoying to have to continue to switch planets to mine resources to earn a profit.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Well, this bug fixed itself, so I'm back to exploring the galaxy. Just landed on a planet that has the largest Gold rock I've ever seen. Just a single rock has provided me with oodles of Gold, and I've only mined about half.

The downside? I'm not sure if they added it in the recent update or if it's always been like this, but the Galactic Market is ever-changing. I can mine this Gold for days, but I basically get one shot at making a profit. After you flood the market with a resource, its price drops drastically.

Cool feature, but a bit annoying to have to continue to switch planets to mine resources to earn a profit.

I was just reading an article Forbes website saying that the patch made the game astronomically better than the meh version it was a launch

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I was just reading an article Forbes website saying that the patch made the game astronomically better than the meh version it was a launch

It really is. But the new update also brought a slew of bugs and crashes that are going to take a while to address from Hello Games. If you find yourself generally lucky in that regard, definitely give the game another shot.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I regret not looking into this base building aspect of the game sooner. It's so great.

Plus, now I've got a sweet dune buggy to explore the planet.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It really sounds like the game is finally rounding out into something representing what they promised. Good on them for that. If it's cheap, I may actually have to look into picking up a copy at some point.

This is further proof they should have gone down the reasonably priced early access route. The fact that this launched as a full priced title is a nightmarish joke.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It really sounds like the game is finally rounding out into something representing what they promised. Good on them for that. If it's cheap, I may actually have to look into picking up a copy at some point.

This is further proof they should have gone down the reasonably priced early access route. The fact that this launched as a full priced title is a nightmarish joke.

I think you can put some of that blame on SIE.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-is-good-now-1798630668/amp

I agree with a lot of this. Having played the game when it first came out and playing it now after their latest update, I'm glad to see they addressed a lot of the issues the game had at launch.

Space flight is the biggest difference. At launch, if you were attacked by Pirates, you were dead. You physically couldn't control your ship well enough to win a dog fight with 2 or more ships. Best option was always fly away AQAP and hope their ships were slower.

Today, I warped into a solar system and immediately found myself in the middle of a space battle. Apparently, a group of Pirates decided they wanted to attack a Freighter for its resources, and I was given the option to help the Freighter or take advantage of the chaos and get some resources for myself. Though my ship was a Hauler subclass (I value the cargo space over firepower), I was still able to hold my own against 8 Pirates and rescue the Freighter. Got a reward from the captain after the battle and was given the option to purchase his fleet as well (though for gobs of money that I'll likely never have).

They've also made exploration so much more fun. Right now, my home base is in a one planet system, on a planet with an atmosphere that isn't too hot/toxic/radioactive and only gets too cold on very rare storms. I've spent hours scanning the planet with my mobile dune buggy and collecting the automated harvesters I've set up at various resource deposits.

However, I'm trying to create a farm at the home base, and obviously, variety is better. So I need to travel to the too Toxic/Radioactive/Hot/Cold planets to collect plants that only grow in those environments to bring back to my base.

All the while, I'm working through the main quests, the side quests, and the missions I'm getting from the system's space station.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-is-good-now-1798630668/amp

Space flight is the biggest difference. At launch, if you were attacked by Pirates, you were dead. You physically couldn't control your ship well enough to win a dog fight with 2 or more ships. Best option was always fly away AQAP and hope their ships were slower.

I am not sure what I was doing right at launch, or what I am doing wrong now, but I never had any trouble with pirates, whether there were 1, 2, or 8. After all the patches though, even one gives me trouble. Maybe I am just hanging out in a rougher space neighbourhood. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad