No Man's Sky - Part 2 - 1 thread down, 17,999,999,999,999,999,999 to go

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Itching to try this game out again.
Not sure when I'll really be able to do it though. Might be a while.
Same. I thought it was decent despite all the complaints, but am looking forward to trying it out again with all the improvements. Don't really understand all the vitriol TBH, I thought they offered refunds and dropped the price tag. Don't really understand the "too little too late" sentiment.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Same. I thought it was decent despite all the complaints, but am looking forward to trying it out again with all the improvements. Don't really understand all the vitriol TBH, I thought they offered refunds and dropped the price tag. Don't really understand the "too little too late" sentiment.
They didn't offer refunds, at least not that I'm aware of. Steam and Sony gave refunds purely because the enormous number of refund requests.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I really don't understand how the game surprised anyone. I was fascinated by the concept of what you could do, but when I saw the gameplay trailers showing the space battles and actual things to do when on the planets, it turned me off. Even with the supposed promises it always seemed like a game with a great concept but didn't really have much else to it.

I still may grab it for the exploration aspect of it. Do not find the endless search for resources all that enticing, though.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I really don't understand how the game surprised anyone. I was fascinated by the concept of what you could do, but when I saw the gameplay trailers showing the space battles and actual things to do when on the planets, it turned me off. Even with the supposed promises it always seemed like a game with a great concept but didn't really have much else to it.

I still may grab it for the exploration aspect of it. Do not find the endless search for resources all that enticing, though.

It has to do with 2 main reasons:

1) Financial constraints driving the release far before the game was actually polished enough for that.
2) A lot of people projecting what they wanted the game to be rather than what it was.

Even in it's modern, much improved state, this game is still largely a walking simulator and that's not going to work for everyone.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

People prioritize hype over actual observation and critical thinking. On the bright side, I can't remember the last time I bought a game and regretted it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
People prioritize hype over actual observation and critical thinking. On the bright side, I can't remember the last time I bought a game and regretted it.
There is one game I've bought and regretted. The crash remaster/remake.

I have no nostalgia for it so I can say without any hint of sadness, these games are terrible. 3d platforming does not work with precision jumps and running into or away from the screen which is what the majority of crash is. I'll give 2 and 3 a shot eventually but 1 is just awful.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I hate Sentinels. So much. I know they're just supposed to be a minor inconvenience, but it's still annoying to be mining something and having these floating asshats harassing me, so I have to stop.

And God forbid you try and grab a Gravito Ball or one of the other forbidden resources. That's a hassle and a half.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This game is the first game I've ever seen have a revival like this. Just wow.

96,954 players at one point today. It's going to hit 100,000 after barely scraping 1,000 average players in June (peak: 2,047). It spent 7 months under 1,000 average players before June.

And according to Hello Games, there's still more to come.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Best part of the new update: Ancient Ruins. They had Monoliths and Structures before, but other than learning a language and getting the tradeable Relics/Effigies/etc, they were kind of useless.

Well, now if you go to a Monolith, it'll ask if you want help with their language or with their past. ALWAYS CHOOSE PAST. It'll point you to an Ancient Ruin, where 3-5 Ancient Keys and an Ancient Chest are buried.

Use your Scanner and Multitool to find the keys and the chest, unlock the chest, and reap some very nice rewards. Unique items that sell for MILLIONS on the galatic trade network. 3rd chest I dug up had a single item worth 10 million units.

Imma buy me a new ship :D

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Best part of the new update: Ancient Ruins. They had Monoliths and Structures before, but other than learning a language and getting the tradeable Relics/Effigies/etc, they were kind of useless.

Well, now if you go to a Monolith, it'll ask if you want help with their language or with their past. ALWAYS CHOOSE PAST. It'll point you to an Ancient Ruin, where 3-5 Ancient Keys and an Ancient Chest are buried.

Use your Scanner and Multitool to find the keys and the chest, unlock the chest, and reap some very nice rewards. Unique items that sell for MILLIONS on the galatic trade network. 3rd chest I dug up had a single item worth 10 million units.

Imma buy me a new ship :D
I just cheesed the market to make money. I had blueprint for Fusion Accelerant. It cost about $550,000 to make. Sold for $2,000,000. Made about 200 those and sold them.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I just cheesed the market to make money. I had blueprint for Fusion Accelerant. It cost about $550,000 to make. Sold for $2,000,000. Made about 200 those and sold them.

Probably for the best, since it appears they nerfed the Ancient Ruin items. When I logged off yesterday, it was worth 10 million. Today? 500k.

Should have sold it when I had the chance.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Probably for the best, since it appears they nerfed the Ancient Ruin items. When I logged off yesterday, it was worth 10 million. Today? 500k.

Does the game feature a live market with shifting prices and demand and the like? Maybe that's it.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Does the game feature a live market with shifting prices and demand and the like? Maybe that's it.

It does, but not to the effect of that. And usually it's somewhat contained within whatever system you're in. If you mine a bunch of gold and flood the market in that star system, it's not going to be worth much. Warp to the next and it'll be back near it's original price.

But those changes are only very small percentages. Dropping from 10 million to 500k is a fundamental change to the items value from outside the game.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I can front you some of the $2M items (if they still cost that, Ill have to check) if you want to jump on in the next hour or so (assuming you're on PC)?

Steam Community :: Natey

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It has to do with 2 main reasons:

1) Financial constraints driving the release far before the game was actually polished enough for that.
2) A lot of people projecting what they wanted the game to be rather than what it was.

Even in it's modern, much improved state, this game is still largely a walking simulator and that's not going to work for everyone.
And outright lies by the developer. Don't forget the lies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's kind of funny that it was an underwhelming game for 2 years and, then, it finally came to Xbox at the very moment that it finally reached its potential and was really worth buying. So much for exclusivity. Sony ended up doing Xbox owners a favor by saving a lot of trouble, disappointment and money by being forbidden from getting the game until now.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Since I've still yet to find any technology worth a damn, I've gone with a secondary source of income: Hunting Monstrosities. Whispering eggs are worth half a million per stack, and Abandoned Buildings are everywhere.

To make it simple, build a base computer by an Abandoned Building. This will allow you to build wooden walls around the egg clutches. Do so, and begin harvesting carefree. The Horrors will appear, but can't get past your walls. Once you're done with one clutch, jetpack to the roof of the Abandoned Building, dismantle the walls, then repeat the process on another clutch.

Destroy the base computer once all clutches are harvested, and move on to the next one.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I hate Sentinels. So much. I know they're just supposed to be a minor inconvenience, but it's still annoying to be mining something and having these floating asshats harassing me, so I have to stop.

And God forbid you try and grab a Gravito Ball or one of the other forbidden resources. That's a hassle and a half.

I grabbed some pearl things and immediately got gangbanged.

I want to like next but the lack of guides and the constantly retracing of steps is incredibly annoying. Why do I have no way of shooing away the little sentinels? They're dumb as shit too, you can just hide in your base and wait for the timer.

The first half dozen hours are so incredibly rough.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Anyone still have this? I'm tempted to get in again after watching some videos on youtube about all the steps they've taken to fix it.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I was also curious about the updates that this game has received. It's 50% off on Steam right now until the 21st.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Still been meaning to get back into this, looks great from a lot of the stuff I've seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad