No Man's Sky - Part 2 - 1 thread down, 17,999,999,999,999,999,999 to go

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
This thread isn't at all what SniperHF promised when he was talking about a new no mans sky thread. He blatantly lied, most of what he promised is not present.

I'm posting this from mobile because when I opened the thread on my computer the browser crashed.

Anyway, what's the point of having a thread with 1,000 posts if they're all the same, with slight variations? You know all the posts are just going to be about how great the game is or how much the game sucks. Where's the variation there? Why should I bother checking in on new posts when they're just going to recap what's already been said.

Sniper is a liar and I'll be ashamed with you all if we allow #HFGeek to get away with this.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
this thread isn't at all what sniperhf promised when he was talking about a new no mans sky thread. He blatantly lied, most of what he promised is not present.

I'm posting this from mobile because when i opened the thread on my computer the browser crashed.

Anyway, what's the point of having a thread with 1,000 posts if they're all the same, with slight variations? You know all the posts are just going to be about how great the game is or how much the game sucks. Where's the variation there? Why should i bother checking in on new posts when they're just going to recap what's already been said.

Sniper is a liar and i'll be ashamed with you all if we allow #hfgeek to get away with this.

10/10

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
This thread isn't at all what SniperHF promised when he was talking about a new no mans sky thread. He blatantly lied, most of what he promised is not present.

I'm posting this from mobile because when I opened the thread on my computer the browser crashed.

Anyway, what's the point of having a thread with 1,000 posts if they're all the same, with slight variations? You know all the posts are just going to be about how great the game is or how much the game sucks. Where's the variation there? Why should I bother checking in on new posts when they're just going to recap what's already been said.

Sniper is a liar and I'll be ashamed with you all if we allow #HFGeek to get away with this.

:laugh:

Well done

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thought it was about time I shared my favorite screen shots so far

zEsBP1d.jpg

I8J7Wpq.jpg

5sUcqZn.jpg

cTwYEF1.jpg

jA0PNot.jpg

mlkTmEq.jpg

hMTypoR.jpg

6S6hP1b.jpg

dxtB7Tt.jpg

iOfbBXU.jpg

dgrrPC8.jpg

VYzybuh.jpg

yxIauT6.jpg

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
This game feels like the spiritual successor to the Starflight games I used to play in the late 80s on my Amiga. I've been waiting for something to fill that void for almost 30 years.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
A tangent but I've heard some people say that the hype hurt it and that it was overhyped, I can't even understand that in this day in age.

All this "hype" is coming from some articles or tweets you don't even have to read, or a couple of e3 trailers you dont have to watch. Its not like you're being bombarded with ads like in the days of radio, cable, and pre-******* internet.

I just dont get that

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A tangent but I've heard some people say that the hype hurt it and that it was overhyped, I can't even understand that in this day in age.

All this "hype" is coming from some articles or tweets you don't even have to read, or a couple of e3 trailers you dont have to watch. Its not like you're being bombarded with ads like in the days of radio, cable, and pre-******* internet.

I just dont get that

Yeah, it's not like one of the consoles featured it heavily in shows and is marketing it.

Sean Murray sold NMS as a "do anything" game when in reality there isn't much to do.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Marketing and hype are not the same thing. People seem to confuse the two often.

I still maintain that people developed unrealistic expectations for this game. And that 'hype' is what's resulted in this backlash.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, it's not like one of the consoles featured it heavily in shows and is marketing it.

Sean Murray sold NMS as a "do anything" game when in reality there isn't much to do.
what shows would those be? You mean Colberts show?

I've played it a bit to test it out on my PC, it is in fact broken

Whether it was at 1080 high settings or 720 low settings it ran at the same 20-25 fps with occasional drops to 0 fps. Pure crap.

But from what i saw I didn't find it to be a do nothing game. It reminds me of motherload and super motherload if you've ever played that

Basically the premise of that game is to upgrade your vehicle more and more to get deeper and deeper into the planets core, until you eventually reach, while the story mode basically plays out in the background, which seems to be how this game is designed too.

That was one of my favorite games, wouldn't be surprised if this became too. But yeah, definitely not worth $60, then again most $60 games aren't worth $60 to me.

On a side note, a truly horrible design choice I noticed is that upgrading you gun (and I would assume other things) seems to take up inventory space. Terrible.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
what shows would those be? You mean Colberts show?

I've played it a bit to test it out on my PC, it is in fact broken

Whether it was at 1080 high settings or 720 low settings it ran at the same 20-25 fps with occasional drops to 0 fps. Pure crap.

But from what i saw I didn't find it to be a do nothing game. It reminds me of motherload and super motherload if you've ever played that

Basically the premise of that game is to upgrade your vehicle more and more to get deeper and deeper into the planets core, until you eventually reach, while the story mode basically plays out in the background, which seems to be how this game is designed too.

That was one of my favorite games, wouldn't be surprised if this became too. But yeah, definitely not worth $60, then again most $60 games aren't worth $60 to me.

On a side note, a truly horrible design choice I noticed is that upgrading you gun (and I would assume other things) seems to take up inventory space. Terrible.

There's plenty of opportunities to get upgraded inventory slot multitools. I just bought one with 22 slots for like 190k.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Is there a way to check what you need to build an upgrade outside of when you go to fill in a slot or memorising it? Say I wanted to add an upgrade but all the slots on the multi-tool are taken it appears the only way to check what I need is to dismantle another upgrade and check.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Uhhh...no. You can see what you have...the only upgrade that's necessary on the multi tool is the scanner.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Best thread title ever :)

I have to say it the kind of game space exploration game that fascinates me, but then I watch videos on youtube and it just seems to consist of walking round firing your mining laser at everything, and I think "is that it?"

I don't have a PS4, but if it ever came out on XB1, it would still tempt me.

Gunna be fascinating come the end of year "Game of the Year" threads :)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Anyone else notice how easy it is to outrun sentinels? I'm on this moon 1 system outside the starting system and it's a hostile planet(sentinels attack on sight) and this place is literally littered with the gravitrino balls(27k/pop). I've found I can basically empty my slots and run from ball to ball filling up all my slots and out running all the sentinels. Once both my ship and exosuit are filled I go sell em and make like 3-400k in like 20-30 minutes.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Anyone else notice how easy it is to outrun sentinels? I'm on this moon 1 system outside the starting system and it's a hostile planet(sentinels attack on sight) and this place is literally littered with the gravitrino balls(27k/pop). I've found I can basically empty my slots and run from ball to ball filling up all my slots and out running all the sentinels. Once both my ship and exosuit are filled I go sell em and make like 3-400k in like 20-30 minutes.

It's trivial to run away from them with the melee/boost trick.

Did the same thing on a Sac Venom planet and was making 500k every 7-8 minutes.

Unfortunately I jumped pretty far away and can't seem to find that system anymore.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Came across my first planet that was already visited by one person. It was the most hostile planet I've ever been on. Sentinel's attacked on sight and the sentinel bots ramped up their level to the point where the tiger-drone's were apart of the attacks. Even in space there were sentinel ships and pirate ships looking for trouble. The previous explorer named the planet "Worthless" so I renamed the system "Hornets Nest" which I think is appropriate.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I personally had my expectations in check with this game. I posted something on an IGN or Kotaku or Polygon article on the game the other day about how the potential for this game is huge as long as they continue to patch and build on the foundation they've laid out.

Someone responded that this game should have been as it is now, but with Call of Duty FPS combat and Mass Effect story.

That is why so many people are so venomous towards this game. They had totally unrealistic expectations as to what this game is.

I don't think this is a perfect game by any means, but I expected a game based totally around exploration and that is IT.

I wasn't disappointed.

I found a planet last night that had tons of Exo Cubes (I think that's the name? Green items that sell for 20-30k units) just floating above little pedestals on the ground. All around an abandoned housing structure. Whenever you'd take one, a spider looking sentinel would appear and also call the floating sentinels to chase me down. I ran around and grabbed as many as I could before hauling back to the ship and taking off.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I personally had my expectations in check with this game. I posted something on an IGN or Kotaku or Polygon article on the game the other day about how the potential for this game is huge as long as they continue to patch and build on the foundation they've laid out.

Someone responded that this game should have been as it is now, but with Call of Duty FPS combat and Mass Effect story.

That is why so many people are so venomous towards this game. They had totally unrealistic expectations as to what this game is.

I don't think this is a perfect game by any means, but I expected a game based totally around exploration and that is IT.

I wasn't disappointed.

I found a planet last night that had tons of Exo Cubes (I think that's the name? Green items that sell for 20-30k units) just floating above little pedestals on the ground. All around an abandoned housing structure. Whenever you'd take one, a spider looking sentinel would appear and also call the floating sentinels to chase me down. I ran around and grabbed as many as I could before hauling back to the ship and taking off.

I think you're absolutely right, and I'm still baffled as to how anyone could have looked at what was shown and projected that gun battles were a primary focus of the gameplay or that there was any story to speak of.

What No Man's Sky is is something that has never been done before. What some people seemed to think No Man's Sky was going to be is something completely impossible at this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad