GDT: NO LOTTERY THREAD SMH

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I’d rather lose and get pick 9-13 with 4-5 games of playoff experience than win a round, get 9-10 games of playoff experience and then pick 16th.

This is the optimal outcome. Intense 5 game series, learn from the mistakes against a very good team (like avoiding the endless killer defensive gaffes) and then get pick 9-13 with a 12.5% free shot at getting LeF. I'd call that a hell of a season for the franchise.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Forget what I said above in #103. Apparently there is going to be a second lottery of the the losers of the play in and one of those 8 teams is going to get the 1 OA. 12.5 % chance for all the play in losers.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
There was no reason to do the lottery before the play-in. Now there’s a real concern teams will tank. It’s not 50% or even 25% or even 15%, but it’s not 0 percent nor a small fraction.

I wish they’d just cancel the season and move on to the next one and try for a more normal starting point to next season.
There’s no concern teams will tank, IMO. Tanking is done by teams trading their better players away, not by players losing on purpose or by coaching decisions.

Reactions: Barnaby

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So...if the Rangers won the top pick, would you trade it to Ottawa for #s 3 & 5?

I honestly think I might. You’re picking 2 from A field of byfield stutzle Raymond perfetti Rossi Holtz.

we’re stacked at left wing and lafreniere wants nothing to do with playing center or the right side. He worships Patrick Kane wants to be exactly like him and play off that wall.

hes by far the best player but this draft is special. What if you could walk away with Byfield Holtz and whoever with that later first.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
My math might be wrong, but here are the pick scenarios for what the TOR/CAR picks will be. Let me know.

EDIT: NYR will pick 10-13 if they lose the play-in and don't get 1OA. If they win vs CAR, it will be 16+. Have not figured out non-CF pick range yet. Maybe tomorrow. Already in bed.

qIqsxOl.png

One small correction. If both Toronto and Carolina lose the play-in and Carolina wins 1st overall, the Toronto pick can't be better than 12th. There are only 4 teams with a better regular season winning percentage than Toronto, and Carolina is one of those teams. So if Carolina wins 1st overall, that pushes Toronto back 1 spot.

Here are the things we would need to happen to get each pick:

12th overall

Carolina, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Islanders all lose in the play-in
Carolina wins 1st overall

13th overall
Carolina and Toronto lose
Two of Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Islanders lose

14th overall
Carolina, Toronto and Pittsburgh lose

15th overall
Carolina and Toronto lose and Pittsburgh wins

16th +
Carolina or Toronto win

For the 12th and 13th picks, we need too many things to happen. I doubt Pittsburgh is going to lose, so we are probably looking at either the 15th pick, or more likely, a pick somewhere between 16 and 31. If we beat Carolina and Toronto wins, both of our picks could end up being 20+, depending on how far each team goes. Worst case scenario (for our picks) would be losing to Toronto in the ECF. Assuming they handle the last 4 picks as usual, that would give us the 28th or 29th pick and Toronto's 30th or 31st pick.

It's pretty crazy. On one end, we could get 1st overall and 16th overall, and on the other, we could get 29th overall and 31st overall.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I honestly think I might. You’re picking 2 from A field of byfield stutzle Raymond perfetti Rossi Holtz.

we’re stacked at left wing and lafreniere wants nothing to do with playing center or the right side. He worships Patrick Kane wants to be exactly like him and play off that wall.

hes by far the best player but this draft is special. What if you could walk away with Byfield Holtz and whoever with that later first.

but kane plays RW so if he wants to be like kane why not be willing to play the right side?

The trade would be hugely tempting because those are some really good players...but we'd potentially be saved from our self there cause no way ottawa makes that deal. the cost to job 2 spots from 3 to 1 isnt the 5th pick. as a comparable, 2003 the pens and panthers swapped #1 and #3 and it was mikael samuelsson, #3 and a 3rd round pick for #1 and a 3rd round pick.

if the trade was on the table, I probably do it and then we'd regret it for 20 years...I hate myself for using this phrase but don't try to be the smartest person in the room. you win the lottery and you sprint to the podium to take Lafreniere and then build your franchise around a top line with Lafreniere & Kakko on the wings.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
if the trade was on the table, I probably do it and then we'd regret it for 20 years...I hate myself for using this phrase but don't try to be the smartest person in the room. you win the lottery and you sprint to the podium to take Lafreniere and then build your franchise around a top line with Lafreniere & Kakko on the wings.

I completely agree. If we somehow end up with 1st overall, we'll be Laffing all the way to the bank :laugh:

That said, I'm going to root for the Rangers to beat Carolina. If they end up losing, only then will I let myself seriously think about getting that pick.

Reactions: McSauer

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

So, Kreider moves to RW until he slides to the 3rd line in the back half of his contract. Not a problem.

Reactions: Leetch3

InTheShift

Jul 24, 2002
I think the more plausible scenario is the league never gets back to play this season and the 8 play-in teams each have a 12.5% chance at 1OA.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
One small correction. If both Toronto and Carolina lose the play-in and Carolina wins 1st overall, the Toronto pick can't be better than 12th. There are only 4 teams with a better regular season winning percentage than Toronto, and Carolina is one of those teams. So if Carolina wins 1st overall, that pushes Toronto back 1 spot.

Here are the things we would need to happen to get each pick:

12th overall

Carolina, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Islanders all lose in the play-in

13th overall
Carolina and Toronto lose
Two of Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Islanders lose

14th overall
Carolina, Toronto and Pittsburgh lose

15th overall
Carolina and Toronto lose and Pittsburgh wins

16th +
Carolina or Toronto win

For the 12th and 13th picks, we need too many things to happen. I doubt Pittsburgh is going to lose, so we are probably looking at either the 15th pick, or more likely, a pick somewhere between 16 and 31. If we beat Carolina and Toronto wins, both of our picks could end up being 20+, depending on how far each team goes. Worst case scenario (for our picks) would be losing to Toronto in the ECF. Assuming they handle the last 4 picks as usual, that would give us the 28th or 29th pick and Toronto's 30th or 31st pick.

It's pretty crazy. On one end, we could get 1st overall and 16th overall, and on the other, we could get 29th overall and 31st overall.
Ah. Knew the buzz was getting to me last night. Always good to have someone double-checking. Cheers!

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
but kane plays RW so if he wants to be like kane why not be willing to play the right side?

The trade would be hugely tempting because those are some really good players...but we'd potentially be saved from our self there cause no way ottawa makes that deal. the cost to job 2 spots from 3 to 1 isnt the 5th pick. as a comparable, 2003 the pens and panthers swapped #1 and #3 and it was mikael samuelsson, #3 and a 3rd round pick for #1 and a 3rd round pick.

Well to your point I probably make the deal because no one would give you the 5th overall to move 2 spots up from 3rd That’s crazy value. Lafreniere is a beast but who’s to say stutzle who blew me away at the worlds and a Raymond wouldn’t give you much more combined than one player. That twosome is more likely to do more damage than a left winger even if he is a superstar

like saying would you rather have Bergeron and Pasternak or would you rather have Patrick Kane

I’d take the combo

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
OK but what are the chances Rangers hit a lotto 2 times in a row?

Also make no sense that all those different teams(some very good teams) have same odds.

Devils hit 2 out of 3 years for 1OA.

Have to admit I was a happy camper when I saw the Devils sign at 7--had a bad feeling they were going to win again--which funny enough would have been 2 years in a row.

Reactions: McSauer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad