GDT: NO LOTTERY THREAD SMH

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
you all know that the most likely scenario is that we beat carolina, canes get the 1st pick and then we get swept in 4 by boston.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
OK but what are the chances Rangers hit a lotto 2 times in a row?

Also make no sense that all those different teams(some very good teams) have same odds.

All the teams that lose in the qualifier have the same odds. Maybe there are some good teams in that mix, maybe not. It depends on what kind of upsets we see.

That set of odds shown in that article is so ridiculous. There are only two possibilities. Either a team has a 12.5% chance or that team has a 0% chance. There’s nothing in between.

Finally, the Rangers odds are the same regardless of whether or not they won the lottery last year.

Reactions: McSauer

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
46hdlv.jpg

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I don't really buy the fairness of it, I think it will be either Montreal, Arizona, Columbus, Calgary or Nashville.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm so ****** confused. I was told we could win the Cup and still pick 1.

There was a way but involved TWO placeholder teams winning spots 1 and 2 in the lottery, and then Carolina and Toronto ending up as those two teams.

Since that didn’t happen, that possibility is now over.

The Rangers can now only get the top pick with their own selection, which requires losing to Carolina.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
My math might be wrong, but here are the pick scenarios for what the TOR/CAR picks will be. Let me know.

EDIT: NYR will pick 10-13 if they lose the play-in and don't get 1OA. If they win vs CAR, it will be 16+. Have not figured out non-CF pick range yet. Maybe tomorrow. Already in bed.

qIqsxOl.png
Is that Notepad++?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I rather get more playoff experience than 87.5% chance of not winning the lottery.

I’d rather lose and get pick 9-13 with 4-5 games of playoff experience than win a round, get 9-10 games of playoff experience and then pick 16th.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
:huh::huh:
Not to sound like an idiot, but why not do the play in games ... After the seeding is set THEN do the lottery. This seems overly complicated and I’d be kicking myself if I were WPG.

I’m sure there’s a reason???

haven’t found reasoning for that either except maybe to inject some energy and enthusiasm since we haven’t had a hockey related event in over 3 months?
I think you’re right would have been less drama if they just waited after the play In round. I’m just glad this part is over and NJ didn’t win again

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
There was no reason to do the lottery before the play-in. Now there’s a real concern teams will tank. It’s not 50% or even 25% or even 15%, but it’s not 0 percent nor a small fraction.

I wish they’d just cancel the season and move on to the next one and try for a more normal starting point to next season.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
:huh::huh:

haven’t found reasoning for that either except maybe to inject some energy and enthusiasm since we haven’t had a hockey related event in over 3 months?
I think you’re right would have been less drama if they just waited after the play In round. I’m just glad this part is over and NJ didn’t win again

Yea, I was just curious if I was missing something. The super rabid fans that get pumped over an event like this aren’t really the type you have to draw back in. Oh well, does add a bit of excitement and no rivals up top so no complaints here.

Reactions: bl02

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
There was no reason to do the lottery before the play-in. Now there’s a real concern teams will tank. It’s not 50% or even 25% or even 15%, but it’s not 0 percent nor a small fraction.

I wish they’d just cancel the season and move on to the next one and try for a more normal starting point to next season.

I don’t think NHL players are tanking a playoff shot for a chance at a 12.5% chance at 1. They have careers and reputations. Whose to say you ever even get a playoff shot again?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Not to sound like an idiot, but why not do the play in games ... After the seeding is set THEN do the lottery. This seems overly complicated and I’d be kicking myself if I were WPG.

I’m sure there’s a reason???

maybe to create more hype and more intrigue?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
maybe to create more hype and more intrigue?

I guess... I just think the fans stoked enough to be following the draft and the complicated draft lottery aren’t really the ones you need to stir up. Were you guys not going to watch the Ranger play in? Is a Devils fan more interested now that he knows he’s at 7?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I guess... I just think the fans stoked enough to be following the draft and the complicated draft lottery aren’t really the ones you need to stir up. Were you guys not going to watch the Ranger play in? Is a Devils fan more interested now that he knows he’s at 7?

yeah, they should have just done it regular style after the play in round was done.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I don’t think NHL players are tanking a playoff shot for a chance at a 12.5% chance at 1. They have careers and reputations. Whose to say you ever even get a playoff shot again?
I’m not saying blatantly tank, but perhaps a prominent player that was on the fence about playing chooses not to play or perhaps the rust takes a little longer than expected to come off. that kind of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad