GDT: NO LOTTERY THREAD SMH

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
At what point is there confirmation whether or not the season gets played? I’ve heard there are concerns about finding a hub city. Is there a set date where if they don’t figure things out, the season’s canceled, or are things flexible?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
At what point is there confirmation whether or not the season gets played? I’ve heard there are concerns about finding a hub city. Is there a set date where if they don’t figure things out, the season’s canceled, or are things flexible?
Training camps begin on July 10th for a few weeks. But those aren't held in the hub cities. So they still have time.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

everything at this point is flexible and completely up in the air. even if they announce the hub cities and dates today, that is all based on assumptions and hopes of how things will look a month from now. but it could all change at any minute if the numbers go up or lots of players start testing positive

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I just want one pick in the top two. Is that too much to ask.
Ummm, like last year? Naaah, we don't ask for much...regardless that we have won "only" 1 cup in 80 years......fans of other teams might say we are spoiled.

I mean we HAVE made the PO's nearly every year since getting lucky with that infamous 7th rounder. When was the last time that Buffalo even "sniffed" at a PO spot?
Lots of perennial losing teams out there, more often than not. I count MY blessings.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
This thread is confusing.

Lets assume the season is not played (as this seems the reasonable conclusion given the numbers).
We get 12.5% chance for being in the lower 8 of the bracket?

What then happens to the other(s) first we have?

Glad you are all alive.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
This thread is confusing.

Lets assume the season is not played (as this seems the reasonable conclusion given the numbers).
We get 12.5% chance for being in the lower 8 of the bracket?

What then happens to the other(s) first we have?

Glad you are all alive.

Losing in the Qualifier or no resumption of play gives us a 12.5% chance at No. 1. No resumption also means we would get Carolina's pick (No. 23)

Reactions: Whoot Whoot

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The play in series is playoff experience.
I have a question it's the playoffs and called the playoffs for a reason. So now this year, this 1st round is called the play in, shouldn't it be called the play on? I mean if it's play in then the opposite is play out...... but it's not called play out it's called playoff's oh, so then shouldn't it be called play on? Okay this is beginning to sound like an Abbott and Costello thing

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don’t think NHL players are tanking a playoff shot for a chance at a 12.5% chance at 1. They have careers and reputations. Whose to say you ever even get a playoff shot again?
3 cities, 3 states, 3 dumping teams

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
Penguins
Penguins
Penguins!

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This is the optimal outcome. Intense 5 game series, learn from the mistakes against a very good team (like avoiding the endless killer defensive gaffes) and then get pick 9-13 with a 12.5% free shot at getting LeF. I'd call that a hell of a season for the franchise.
Not to mention the in season positive strides as a team.

Panarin and his would be 110 pts.
Fox rip-off of Carolina
Igor's successful arrival
Tony O, I mean Tony D's maturation
Kreider healing because of delay

& Z'BAD'S GAME WINNING BLAST!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
One small correction. If both Toronto and Carolina lose the play-in and Carolina wins 1st overall, the Toronto pick can't be better than 12th. There are only 4 teams with a better regular season winning percentage than Toronto, and Carolina is one of those teams. So if Carolina wins 1st overall, that pushes Toronto back 1 spot.

Here are the things we would need to happen to get each pick:

12th overall

Carolina, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Islanders all lose in the play-in
Carolina wins 1st overall

13th overall
Carolina and Toronto lose
Two of Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Islanders lose
Carolina wins 1st overall

14th overall
Carolina, Toronto and Pittsburgh lose

15th overall
Carolina and Toronto lose and Pittsburgh wins

16th +
Carolina or Toronto win

For the 12th and 13th picks, we need too many things to happen. I doubt Pittsburgh is going to lose, so we are probably looking at either the 15th pick, or more likely, a pick somewhere between 16 and 31. If we beat Carolina and Toronto wins, both of our picks could end up being 20+, depending on how far each team goes. Worst case scenario (for our picks) would be losing to Toronto in the ECF. Assuming they handle the last 4 picks as usual, that would give us the 28th or 29th pick and Toronto's 30th or 31st pick.

It's pretty crazy. On one end, we could get 1st overall and 16th overall, and on the other, we could get 29th overall and 31st overall.
I come here for enjoyment. When I read similar to this, I get a headache. (No offense GagLine)
They need to so simplify all this, until all of us old timers (meaning those around with those orig6) are ALL DEAD AND BURIED!

Trying to follow all of this.......WILL send me to an early grave, and at the very least....the aforementioned headache.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I come here for enjoyment. When I read similar to this, I get a headache. (No offense GagLine)
They need to so simplify all this, until all of us old timers (meaning those around with those orig6) are ALL DEAD AND BURIED!

Trying to follow all of this.......WILL send me to an early grave, and at the very least....the aforementioned headache.

It's really not that complicated, there are just a lot of variables that are yet unknown, so there are a lot of ways it can play out. In simpler terms, if we lose to Carolina and don't win 1st overall, our pick will improve if teams with a better points percentage than us also lose in the play-in. If one of the teams with a better points percentage loses in the play-in, but then wins 1st overall, we move back 1 spot.

Reactions: TominNC

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

I don't understand why they drag it so long. I thought the whole point of hub cities was to get place where they can start playing sooner rather than later. And how will it make sense if Las Vegas is a hub city for Eastern teams and Toronto for Western teams? Completely assbackwards.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't understand why they drag it so long. I thought the whole point of hub cities was to get place where they can start playing sooner rather than later. And how will it make sense if Las Vegas is a hub city for Eastern teams and Toronto for Western teams? Completely assbackwards.

at no point did anyone say that the point of hub cities was so they can play sooner rather than later. the hub cities are being used so they can avoid travel and isolate players in a bubble to hopefully keep them safe. the intention was always to hold training camps in teams own cities and then go to the hub cities toward the end of july. NOTHING there has changed yet...

and it boggles my mind how anyone can look at the world right now and not understand why this isn't an easy decision...place that a month ago looked safe are now completely being overrun by covid and the league is trying to pick a place that will be safe for their players for the next 5-6 months when no one knows what tomorrow will look like

and the point of putting the east in a west city and the west in an east city so they don't have to worry about claims that a team had home ice advantage

Reactions: TominNC

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Now today reading that it's going to be Edmonton and Toronto. Also not worrying about "home advantage" and just having the east in Toronto.

As Leetch3 said, whatever is safest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad