Blue Jays Discussion: No longer the off-season. It's time for real baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That Merryweather looks like a good one. I know hes a 29yo rookie, but do the Jays really have any other overpowering arms like that? And he was a starter right so they could use him in multiple innings situations as well right?

Jordan Romano- normally. Didnt have his stuff today but fought through.

Nate Pearson.

Reactions: kb

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Great shutdown to the end of that game, some butt puckering but lots of composure.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I am sure people will try and call the manager bunting with 2 strikes in extra innings a "stats" manager sometime soon. The amount he likes bunting is so annoying.
Yup. I'd love to see analytics which says to bunt in that scenario or with 2 strikes. I haven't seen them.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hell if you don't think Jansen can get it done just pinch hit him for Kirk or something. Anything other then bunting with no outs.

I would assume that they wanted to keep Jansen in for defensive purposes once they had taken the lead. Jansen had actually had good at bats in the game too. 8 pitch K that should have been a walk, 6 pitch out and then a single. The only one he looked lost on was the one where he was bunting. Looked like someone who's never practiced it. If Montoyo is going to make the stupid move to bunt with certain players perhaps he should have them practice it and see if they can do it or not.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I would assume that they wanted to keep Jansen in for defensive purposes once they had taken the lead. Jansen had actually had good at bats in the game too. 8 pitch K that should have been a walk, 6 pitch out and then a single. The only one he looked lost on was the one where he was bunting. Looked like someone who's never practiced it. If Montoyo is going to make the stupid move to bunt with certain players perhaps he should have them practice it and see if they can do it or not.
Oh I am not advocating for pulling Jansen for Kirk there. Just that it would have been more justifiable then what they actually did with him. Just let him hit.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Did you guys see Turner f*** up Bellingers HR? Lmaoooooo.

How can that be a rule that he doesn't get a HR there. Never seen anything like it.

Reactions: heatersthebest

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Did you guys see Turner f*** up Bellingers HR? Lmaoooooo.

How can that be a rule that he doesn't get a HR there. Never seen anything like it.

Would be a terrible "HR" to hit down 1 in the 9th. We win, no wait it's only tied. I assume the out is record after all the runs score? If there's 2 outs before the HR you can't lose a game you think you walk off because the out counts first?

If there's 2 runners on and the guy on 2nd gets passed by 2 guys they're both out I assume? The people who do the passing are the out not the one being passed correct?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Would be a terrible "HR" to hit down 1 in the 9th. We win, no wait it's only tied. I assume the out is record after all the runs score? If there's 2 outs before the HR you can't lose a game you think you walk off because the out counts first?

If there's 2 runners on and the guy on 2nd gets passed by 2 guys they're both out I assume? The people who do the passing are the out not the one being passed correct?

Its ridiculous because isnt play technically "dead" after a HR? Like when it drops into foul territory if a player passes another I can't see them being called out for it, so why is it like that for a HR?

Its not like you can fault Turner for going balls to the wall to get back or even Bellinger because... well he hit a HR. Such a strange thing, and I feel like logically the umpires (rulebook?) got it wrong.

Reminds me when I was in umpiring school and our stupid 13 year old asses asked stupid questions of things that literally never occur.

Reactions: heatersthebest

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Its ridiculous because isnt play technically "dead" after a HR? Like when it drops into foul territory if a player passes another I can't see them being called out for it, so why is it like that for a HR?

Its not like you can fault Turner for going balls to the wall to get back or even Bellinger because... well he hit a HR. Such a strange thing, and I feel like logically the umpires (rulebook?) got it wrong.

Reminds me when I was in umpiring school and our stupid 13 year old asses asked stupid questions of things that literally never occur.
Is it dead though. What if runner misses a base?

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Julian Merryweather is just filthy nasty. Hope he can stay healthy.

There were so many good highlights today but he was the truly the top one.
Just watching him had me Homer Simpson drooling over his potential.

Have you ever seen a more exciting last 2 innings in a game???

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There were so many good highlights today but he was the truly the top one.
Just watching him had me Homer Simpson drooling over his potential.

Have you ever seen a more exciting last 2 innings in a game???
He's unbelievable. If he could actually handle a starters workload, he legit has the Gerrit Cole pitch repertoire. But I'll take the floor of high-leverage relief anyday.

It was scary fun for an opening day. Lot's of intrigue and great plays.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
He's unbelievable. If he could actually handle a starters workload, he legit has the Gerrit Cole pitch repertoire. But I'll take the floor of high-leverage relief anyday.

It was scary fun for an opening day. Lot's of intrigue and great plays.
Thats an excellent comparison.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Merriweather has some HEAT. God damn. It's only one game in but it's nice seeing the pen close it down rather than imploding.

As for Stanton i think it's just Yankees fans are kind of done with him already. Highest paid bat on the team, has played a grand total of like 40 games in the last 2 seasons and flat out stunk today when the Yankees could have used his bat to probably win that game.

I imagine it'll only get worse if he misses more time or opens the season struggling.

Edit: Still, watching Yankee fans cry season over after one game when they have that behemoth of a lineup with pitching to back it up is hilarious.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Merriweather has some HEAT. God damn. It's only one game in but it's nice seeing the pen close it down rather than imploding.

As for Stanton i think it's just Yankees fans are kind of done with him already. Highest paid bat on the team, has played a grand total of like 40 games in the last 2 seasons and flat out stunk today when the Yankees could have used his bat to probably win that game.

I imagine it'll only get worse if he misses more time or opens the season struggling.

If? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad