Blue Jays Discussion: No longer the off-season. It's time for real baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The one early concern is Montoyo going to the pen so early in games. The bullpen will be burnt out by mid June. I know the book says don't let guys go thru the order a 3rd time but gotta let them work it out even today Zeuch could have went out for the 5th and saved 1 pen arm.

Imagine if you can get 6 innings from guys the majority of the time.....the bullpen would be well rested and a threat with Romano, Merryweather, Borucki, Chatwood among them.

They're still building guys up, though. What we see now isn't likely how things will be run by mid-season.

And Zeuch doesn't really have the track record to be trusted to keep going in a tight game. I'm perfectly happy getting 4 strong innings from him and handing it over to the pen. He was really good, though, so if he keeps it up he'll earn the chance to go deeper.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Just got a Sportsnet alert that Valera and McGuire cleared waivers, don't appear to have opted for a release off the back of their DFA and will report to the Jays' alternate training site.

Reese will be happy he's staying in Florida. He could've been scared stiff about having to relocate and instead he gets to release all that pent-up stress instead. Truly a happy ending.

Can’t the players be outrighted off the 40 man after clearing waivers once in their career without permission? No idea about Valera but this would be the first time for McGuire.

McGuire’s still a Jay, fans perhaps got excited about losing McGuire too soon. Not the first time, surprisingly McGuire’s got a little stamina left in him this time.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Here's why Cards can thank Braves for Goldy
”They attempted to acquire the veteran third baseman from the Blue Jays during the 2017 season, but they were never willing to include Jack Flaherty in the trade."

Just want to remind everyone there have been disputing reports about whether the Jays said no to Flaherty or the Cards said no.

Can’t say for certainty that one is right over the other, but it was a Bob Nightengale report stating that the Jays said no to Flaherty. If it were any other big name insider name, I would believe it, but not Nightengale where there is a Twitter account specifically created to highlight all his errors. Most recently;

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Can’t the players be outrighted off the 40 man after clearing waivers once in their career without permission? No idea about Valera but this would be the first time for McGuire.

McGuire’s still a Jay, fans perhaps got excited about losing McGuire too soon. Not the first time, surprisingly McGuire’s got a little stamina left in him this time.

They are off the 40-man now. I also just went and looked up the DFA rules for clarity and it turns out that the process is as follows:

1) The player is immediately removed from the 40-man roster upon being tabbed as DFA.
2) Said player passes through waivers, allowing other clubs to claim him
3) Upon completing the waiver process unclaimed, the team has 3 choices for what to do:
a) Assign the player to a minor league affiliate (or in this case the alternate training site)
b) Work out a trade for the player to be sent elsewhere (indications are that if a player qualifies for trade protection via 10-and-5 rules, he is allowed to veto DFA trades just the same as any other)
c) Release the player outright, making them a free agent.

However, if the player has 3 years of accrued MLB service time OR has previously been outrighted off a 40-man roster previously in his career he is allowed to reject an assignment via (3a) and choose free agency for himself.

According to Fangraphs Reese has only accrued just over a year's worth of MLB service time. He also does not appear to have been outrighted before. So he did not have the option of electing free agency. That was my mistake

Valera however appears to have had the option of electing free agency. He doesn't have nearly enough service time, but the Jays DFA'd and reassigned him to the minors/alt training site in February of last year in order to create a roster spot to slot in Rafael Dolis. That would mean he chose not to become a free agent and instead stick with the Jays.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Here's why Cards can thank Braves for Goldy

Just want to remind everyone there have been disputing reports about whether the Jays said no to Flaherty or the Cards said no.

Can’t say for certainty that one is right over the other, but it was a Bob Nightengale report stating that the Jays said no to Flaherty. If it were any other big name insider name, I would believe it, but not Nightengale where there is a Twitter account specifically created to highlight all his errors. Most recently;

I don't remember hearing the Jays said no. Just that the Cards wouldn't put him on the table. But I never listen to Nightengale because he's a hack, so there's that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They are off the 40-man now. I also just went and looked up the DFA rules for clarity and it turns out that the process is as follows:

1) The player is immediately removed from the 40-man roster upon being tabbed as DFA.
2) Said player passes through waivers, allowing other clubs to claim him
3) Upon completing the waiver process unclaimed, the team has 3 choices for what to do:
a) Assign the player to a minor league affiliate (or in this case the alternate training site)
b) Work out a trade for the player to be sent elsewhere (indications are that if a player qualifies for trade protection via 10-and-5 rules, he is allowed to veto DFA trades just the same as any other)
c) Release the player outright, making them a free agent.

However, if the player has 3 years of accrued MLB service time OR has previously been outrighted off a 40-man roster previously in his career he is allowed to reject an assignment via (3a) and choose free agency for himself.

According to Fangraphs Reese has only accrued just over a year's worth of MLB service time. He also does not appear to have been outrighted before. So he did not have the option of electing free agency. That was my mistake

Valera however appears to have had the option of electing free agency. He doesn't have nearly enough service time, but the Jays DFA'd and reassigned him to the minors/alt training site in February of last year in order to create a roster spot to slot in Rafael Dolis. That would mean he chose not to become a free agent and instead stick with the Jays.

What's the source for this? I was under the impression the waiver thing wasn't automatic. The team had 3 choices. Trade, release, or place on waivers within 10 days. If they choose waivers and the player clears then they can either outright to the minors if that's an option, or if the player agrees(if they can block it), or release. Otherwise all these trades that happen to guys who get DFA'd make no sense if they could have grabbed them on waivers since presumably they cleared for the trade option to be possible.

I didn't know about the 3 years service time thing though.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
...Jack Flaherty? he was on the table for Donaldson? yikes
Pretty sure those rumours were debunked.

Shame about JM’s myriad of injuries and lost time, but it wasn’t a coincidence that he was acquired with full control during his peak years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Prediction I hope is wrong: Panik starts again tomorrow, probably at 2B.

I expect Davis to start in center, Grichuk in right and Teo DH. I guess that wouldn't preclude Panik from playing but Biggio or Semien would probably have to sit in that case and I don't see that happening

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I expect Davis to start in center, Grichuk in right and Teo DH. I guess that wouldn't preclude Panik from playing but Biggio or Semien would probably have to sit in that case and I don't see that happening

Ohhh that's a good point, and you're probably right. Except that I would actually like that move, and when it comes to deploying Panik, Montoyo's strategy seems to be to do whatever will piss me off the most.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

tv-ma2.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
No politics, guys. This thread will be closed and transitioned to a new one in a moment, so hopefully it can stem the tide.

And for clarification since the tweet does a crap job: Bichette is not suggesting he won't get vaccinated, nor is he suggesting he doesn't think the vaccine is important. Later in that same statement (in a part not carried in the tweet) he notes that lots of guys will be getting theirs right away and stresses that it is important for them to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad