Blue Jays Discussion: No longer the off-season. It's time for real baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Wise of Lindor to take it. He's a stud but I'm not sure he was getting much more if any on the open market in the offseason. I keep hearing about how the Mets have no room left under the Luxury Tax threshold and have a ton of guys to sign and then they just keep signing guys. I guess they plan to go over, because they're still loaded with guys who's contracts expire at the end of the year
They are close this year. Next year is when they will have some issues

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
They are close this year. Next year is when they will have some issues

And next year they're going to have issues because so many of their guys are free agents. It was always likely they would extend Lindor... the big question is if that means Syndergaard, Stroman, and Conforto walk next year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
And next year they're going to have issues because so many of their guys are free agents. It was always likely they would extend Lindor... the big question is if that means Syndergaard, Stroman, and Conforto walk next year.

What will be even more fun is that Syndergaard will sign with the Jays next season to make up for Lindor going there.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Found this stat interesting.

Hernandez finished 9th overall in expected ISO.

Some of the names in front of him (Soto, Harper, Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna, Seager, Dalbec).

Hernandez had an average exit velocity (93.3 mph) that was higher than any of those players.

Will be interesting to see this year what kind of hitter Hernandez truly is.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I'm really trying to get back into baseball, is there a "advanced stats for dummies" article I can read? So I can fully understand WAR, and all that other stuff? trying to go full blown #nerd

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'm really trying to get back into baseball, is there a "advanced stats for dummies" article I can read? So I can fully understand WAR, and all that other stuff? trying to go full blown #nerd

Check out the glossary on Fangraphs. It's great for explanations on all kinds of stats.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Jansen going to have a good season, Kirk pushing him will light a fire under him.
My big prediction of the year is that Jansen/Kirk will be the best tandem catching combo in the league by the end of the year.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Jansen going to have a good season, Kirk pushing him will light a fire under him.
He struck out.

He had a .183 average and .671 OPS in the spring.

I mean it's nice to be optimistic but I'm not seeing this huge breakout or upside people are portending.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Oh my goodness he...struck out? Might as well call it a wrap. He had a 10 pitch K against Gerrit Cole!
Ok? and? So how is that different from projecting a breakout year based on nothing?

Spring. bad numbers. 2020. not great. That's a larger sample than 0 + hope. :huh:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ok? and? So how is that different from projecting a breakout year based on nothing?

Spring. bad numbers. 2020. not great. That's a larger sample than 0 + hope. :huh:
I mean his underlying numbers are why people see potential for a breakout add on that catchers typically can breakout later and the offense required at that position to be above average really isn't that big of a jump for him...it isn't hoping for a breakout based on nothing. You saying he didn't have a good spring and then got rung up in his first at bat in an 8 pitch AB on a borderline pitch....against Gerrit Cole as some kind of gotcha that he will not breakout is hilarious though.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I mean his underlying numbers are why people see potential for a breakout add on that catchers typically can breakout later and the offense required at that position to be above average really isn't that big of a jump for him...it isn't hoping for a breakout based on nothing. You saying he didn't have a good spring and then got rung up in his first at bat in an 8 pitch AB on a borderline pitch....against Gerrit Cole as some kind of gotcha that he will not breakout is hilarious though.

And then a very nicely hit ball for his first hit of the season in the next at bat.

I'll always be on the Danny Jansen train. As much as you can't chalk it up to simply 'bad luck', he's been one of the unluckiest players in the league.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
You saying he didn't have a good spring and then got rung up in his first at bat in an 8 pitch AB on a borderline pitch....against Gerrit Cole as some kind of gotcha that he will not breakout is hilarious though.
You must have pretty bad reading comprehension cause I did no such thing.

I just pointed out that it's funny how out of nowhere, especially after a bad spring and a negative outcome in a particular at bat someone would go "Woot! Breakout on the way."

That would be like a guy just blowing a save and I were to go, "woot he's gonna be an elite closer!"

You're making the argument that catchers often breakout at this age. Let's assume that's true. That has nothing to do with my argument cause no one took that position and I didn't reply to it.

Nor did they refer to underlying numbers (which based on my looks at exit velo, hard hit rate, etc are not obvious breakout level like say Teoscar or Gurriel). I'm simply pointing out the incongruous and counter intuitive juxtaposition of negative outcome and positive projection.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
And then a very nicely hit ball for his first hit of the season in the next at bat.

I'll always be on the Danny Jansen train. As much as you can't chalk it up to simply 'bad luck', he's been one of the unluckiest players in the league.
I project Kirk will be our catcher of the future by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad