Blue Jays Discussion: No longer the off-season. It's time for real baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Notes: Merryweather flexible; Palacios' start - MLB.com

lx4hyjyr7k4lkuvxr7kq.jpg

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Julian Merryweather hasn’t had many opportunities to set his feet as a pro. Between injuries, Tommy John surgery, a trade and a move to the bullpen in 2020, there’s always been something to adapt to for the Blue Jays right-hander.

Entering 2021, Merryweather, ranked as the club's No. 21 prospect by MLB Pipeline, is being stretched out as a starter. For now.

“I would just love to be a starter. It’s something that I enjoy doing,” Merryweather said. “That kind of chess game you play with the lineup when you’re going through the lineup multiple times, it’s just a fun challenge to take that on. You really prepare for each hitter and know how you’re going to attack them with your catcher. It’s just a very fun process to plan that all out.”

Merryweather enjoyed the adrenaline of coming in from the bullpen, too, and he knows the value that brings. The 29-year-old has legitimate back-end upside in the bullpen, with a great fastball, a “parachute” changeup, as catcher Danny Jansen calls it, and a slider that he used effectively in 2020.

The endgame here is probably something in between. Just like the Blue Jays did in 2020, they’ll use many of their young arms in multi-inning or piggyback roles to help cover a full season of 162 games.

“It’s probably a hybrid at this point,” Merryweather said. “I think they want to have the flexibility of using me as a starter for sure. Then, obviously, being able to come out of the ‘pen, too, is a good option. It’s not the easiest role not knowing if you’re going to end up in the rotation or not. For me, it’s not as daunting as it was last year. Being in the bullpen for the first time, I feel like I can do both pretty well.”

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Top 50 MLB prospects 2021: Wander Franco, Adley Rutschman at the top; Yankees' Jasson Dominguez cracks list
19. Austin Martin, CF/INF, Blue Jays

Scouting report: Martin entered last year's draft ranked as our No. 1 prospect in the draft thanks to his broad skill set. He has a mature approach at the plate and quality bat-to-ball skills that made him the toughest hitter in a power conference to strike out. Additionally, Martin's exit velocities suggest there might be above-average raw power in his bat to tap into. He runs well and runs smart, and he's a versatile defender -- at least in the sense that he can stand-in at short, second, third, and in center. The latter might be his permanent landing spot, though it would fit with the modern era if the Blue Jays have Martin play a little bit of everywhere.

MLB's 2022 free-agent shortstop class could be loaded; but will Lindor, Baez and other stars hit free agency?
Dayn Perry: I'll say Bo Bichette in Toronto. He's done nothing but produce since arriving in the majors, and the Blue Jays seem to be willing spenders these days. Obviously, Bichette isn't going to challenge Tatis' contract numbers, but he's a skilled young shortstop with a high ceiling. He'll command a huge number if any such extension buys out some free-agent years as opposed to just providing certainty through his arbitration years.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Notes: Merryweather flexible; Palacios' start - MLB.com

lx4hyjyr7k4lkuvxr7kq.jpg

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Julian Merryweather hasn’t had many opportunities to set his feet as a pro. Between injuries, Tommy John surgery, a trade and a move to the bullpen in 2020, there’s always been something to adapt to for the Blue Jays right-hander.

Entering 2021, Merryweather, ranked as the club's No. 21 prospect by MLB Pipeline, is being stretched out as a starter. For now.

“I would just love to be a starter. It’s something that I enjoy doing,” Merryweather said. “That kind of chess game you play with the lineup when you’re going through the lineup multiple times, it’s just a fun challenge to take that on. You really prepare for each hitter and know how you’re going to attack them with your catcher. It’s just a very fun process to plan that all out.”

Merryweather enjoyed the adrenaline of coming in from the bullpen, too, and he knows the value that brings. The 29-year-old has legitimate back-end upside in the bullpen, with a great fastball, a “parachute” changeup, as catcher Danny Jansen calls it, and a slider that he used effectively in 2020.

The endgame here is probably something in between. Just like the Blue Jays did in 2020, they’ll use many of their young arms in multi-inning or piggyback roles to help cover a full season of 162 games.

“It’s probably a hybrid at this point,” Merryweather said. “I think they want to have the flexibility of using me as a starter for sure. Then, obviously, being able to come out of the ‘pen, too, is a good option. It’s not the easiest role not knowing if you’re going to end up in the rotation or not. For me, it’s not as daunting as it was last year. Being in the bullpen for the first time, I feel like I can do both pretty well.”
I've been saying it since last season, I'd love him in the role of opener. The guy can come in and throw gas for 3 to 4 innings and then you bring another pitcher in. The benefit is he has a set schedule to pitch, which will be good for controlling his innings. He also isn't wasted as a middle relief guy or 1 inning setup man.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Josh Palacios gets the Blue Jays’ attention with early spring success | The Star

It is part of the magic of spring training that players who would otherwise not necessarily be considered for big-league roster spots get a chance to force their names into the conversation.

That’s exactly what Blue Jays outfielder Josh Palacios has done in the first week of Grapefruit League action. You can practically hear the 25-year-old saying, “Hey, hold on. I’m here, too.”

After nine at-bats, Palacios is hitting .556 with a 1.333 OPS. Those numbers look particularly impressive after Friday’s performance, which included a three-run home run, an RBI triple and a run-scoring double in Toronto’s 13-4 rout of the Baltimore Orioles.

He has been equally reliable in the field to date, among the reasons why manager Charlie Montoyo has called the team’s defence “outstanding” so far this spring.

“This kid had a good off-season and he’s showing right now that we’ve got to pay attention to what he’s doing,” Montoyo said of Palacios after Friday’s win.

Don’t expect him to be knocking George Springer, Lourdes Gurriel Jr., Teoscar Hernandez or Randal Grichuk off the opening day roster. But Jonathan Davis, among the Jays’ top outfield reserves in recent seasons, may be looking over his shoulder.

“You never know,” Montoyo said of Palacios’ shot at the big leagues. “We’ve got to stay healthy. He’s going to be an option. Of course we know who’s going to make the club when it comes to our outfielders ... but to have a guy like that and what he’s doing right now, it’s great to see.”

Another player in that outfield equation, Montoyo said, is Forrest Wall, batting .500 with a 1.167 OPS through six at-bats. Chavez Young, the club’s No. 29 prospect, has also earned good reviews for his defence, though he has struggled at the plate in six at-bats early on.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I really love Palacios's profile and fit on this team as a lefty bat who can do a bit of everything and play some CF. He's the exact kind of prospect I tend to get irrationally attached to: scouts don't love him, but he's gotten really good results the last couple years and I think he would be a great bench piece or platoon guy going forward (basically an OF version of Espinal, who I am also irrationally attached to, or what I hoped for from Pillar before he turned out to be an elite defender).

Unfortunately, unless they move Grichuk to get him semi-regularly playing time, he's probably better off starting the year in Buffalo (depending what happens with the minor league season, obviously).

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Yeah that’s a pass for me. 2 year plus a player option. He and his agent did well.
I agree, I always felt if it was one year, do it, two years, maybe depending on the price, three years pass. The Jays can upgrade the rotation at the Trade Deadline.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I agree, I always felt if it was one year, do it, two years, maybe depending on the price, three years pass. The Jays can upgrade the rotation at the Trade Deadline.

My thoughts as well. Unless Odorizzi is getting $15M per plus, I know he wants security but with another solid year he could have got a better deal next offseason.

I’d still take a Porcello or a Hamels as a short term insurance policy.

Leake would have been nice but he says he isn’t playing this season.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Yeah that’s a pass for me. 2 year plus a player option. He and his agent did well.

I agree, that's too much. However, there's a little disappointment as the last somewhat 'big' name starter left is now gone.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Jays neglecting the rotation this off-season could seriously overshadow the great potential this team has. They are going to have to win a lot of 8-7 type games.

I don't like the quantity over quality strategy of gathering a million potential pieces for the rotation and hoping some guys break out. That's not uncommon for the back end of the rotation, but right now I feel like it's essentially Ryu and that's it. Hopefully Pearson, but you can't really count on it. I have no issue with hoping someone breaks out and has a big year, but they need about three guys to do that. If some of the top prospects were closer to being ready I would probably feel differently.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So they really are putting all of their eggs in the Pearson breaks out and Ray/Matz turn it around basket. I find that ridiculous but I guess they know more than me.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I feel like we're judging this contract prematurely. 2/30 should have absolutely been in our range, especially if Heyman is suggesting that's with bonuses included.

If it's a Taijuan Walker type deal where the salary drops off in year 3 then that's a better deal for the Astros than it is for Odorizzi.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Palacios an early standout at Blue Jays camp - MLB.com

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- The lost Minor League season in 2020 threw a wrench into prospect development, but Blue Jays outfielder Josh Palacios used it as a springboard and represents what the future of that will look like.

The early star of Spring Training after going 3-for-3 with a double, triple and home run on Friday, Palacios spent most of 2020 at the club's alternate training site. When you ask members of the Blue Jays' organization who made the most of the lost season, over and over again it's Palacios' name that comes up.

"The [alternate training] site was one of the best things that could have happened to my career. It was a risk-free environment," Palacios explained Saturday. "There weren't any hard numbers, there were no league leaders, there was no batting average, there was no worrying about getting caught stealing or making an error. It was just free and development-based."

If Palacios wanted to work on stealing bases, for example, he didn't have to wait, he just did it.

At the alternate training site, though, Palacios could attempt 20 steals in an hour if he wanted to. If he gets thrown out? Who cares? It hasn't hurt his team and there he goes again, trotting back to first base to try again. This took the fear of failure out of the equation and created a dense, saturated environment for development. This is what GMs and farm directors envision happening at their complexes under the new Minor League structure, particularly with their youngest prospects.

Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo is rarely one to single out players from a larger group in camp, but Palacios hasn't left him much of a choice lately.

"He's been playing great in the outfield and swinging the bat good," Montoyo said. "That's what Spring Training is all about. You show what you can do and you get a chance to show the team, 'Hey, hold on. I'm here.' That's what he's doing."

Palacios profiles as a corner outfielder, and while his bat is making the most noise early in camp, he's also had a handful of memorable plays in the field already. He credits that to time he spent with Devon White at the alternate training site.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So they really are putting all of their eggs in the Pearson breaks out and Ray/Matz turn it around basket. I find that ridiculous but I guess they know more than me.

I get that it's not ideal, but it's more the Pearson/Kay/Merryweather/Hatch breakout and Ray/Matz/Stripling/Roark bounceback and SWR/Manoah take a step forward and they can add more pitching if needed at the deadline... basket.

I don't know... the strategy they're going with is basically the opposite of an "eggs in one basket" move.

Reactions: Morgs

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Palacios an early standout at Blue Jays camp - MLB.com

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- The lost Minor League season in 2020 threw a wrench into prospect development, but Blue Jays outfielder Josh Palacios used it as a springboard and represents what the future of that will look like.

The early star of Spring Training after going 3-for-3 with a double, triple and home run on Friday, Palacios spent most of 2020 at the club's alternate training site. When you ask members of the Blue Jays' organization who made the most of the lost season, over and over again it's Palacios' name that comes up.

"The [alternate training] site was one of the best things that could have happened to my career. It was a risk-free environment," Palacios explained Saturday. "There weren't any hard numbers, there were no league leaders, there was no batting average, there was no worrying about getting caught stealing or making an error. It was just free and development-based."

If Palacios wanted to work on stealing bases, for example, he didn't have to wait, he just did it.

At the alternate training site, though, Palacios could attempt 20 steals in an hour if he wanted to. If he gets thrown out? Who cares? It hasn't hurt his team and there he goes again, trotting back to first base to try again. This took the fear of failure out of the equation and created a dense, saturated environment for development. This is what GMs and farm directors envision happening at their complexes under the new Minor League structure, particularly with their youngest prospects.

Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo is rarely one to single out players from a larger group in camp, but Palacios hasn't left him much of a choice lately.

"He's been playing great in the outfield and swinging the bat good," Montoyo said. "That's what Spring Training is all about. You show what you can do and you get a chance to show the team, 'Hey, hold on. I'm here.' That's what he's doing."

Palacios profiles as a corner outfielder, and while his bat is making the most noise early in camp, he's also had a handful of memorable plays in the field already. He credits that to time he spent with Devon White at the alternate training site.
'bout time we start thinking about Randal Grichuk's future in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->