OT: No Leaf hockey... what you doing?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
For some reason I want to make the best pizza in the world, Ive been watching alot of youtube videos, probably going to get a pizza oven built in the back patio this spring. Currently making so many I'm delivering to the neighbours. lol!
Any tricks to get a more "airy" crust? I'm getting a nice edge and crispy base, but overall the crust feels a little heavier than I'd like.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Any tricks to get a more "airy" crust? I'm getting a nice edge and crispy base, but overall the crust feels a little heavier than I'd like.
Are you making poolish the night before?
200 grams flour
5 grams honey
5 grams yeast
200 grams water
stir the yeast and honey into the water , let sit for 5 minutes stir in the flour pour into a container let sit for 15 minutes with lid off put lid on let sit for 1 hour room temp, then put the poolish in fridge, ready to use in 8 hrs but not longer than 24.

When making the pie don't stretch the dough too much rather press down and work your way to the edges when near the edge press firmly. You are trying t trap air in the crust One Guy Changed My Pizza Game Forever - YouTube

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Are you making poolish the night before?
200 grams flour
5 grams honey
5 grams yeast
200 grams water
stir the yeast and honey into the water , let sit for 5 minutes stir in the flour pour into a container let sit for 15 minutes with lid off put lid on let sit for 1 hour room temp, then put the poolish in fridge, ready to use in 8 hrs but not longer than 24.

When making the pie don't stretch the dough too much rather press down and work your way to the edges when near the edge press firmly. You are trying t trap air in the crust One Guy Changed My Pizza Game Forever - YouTube

Never made the poolish before.....will give it a try next time. Thanks :thumbu:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
It’s been 5 days and I’ve already rewatched a majority of the highlights of this year…. But those cooking plans are almost as interesting as hockey:thumbu:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Here is the WIP of my drawing I'm working on.
20211219_171234.jpg

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Preparing my Es335 style kit guitar for a Christmas Bigsby:), while self isolating due to Covid. :( Thankfully everyone’s vaccinated with very mild cases (which seems to be the MO of this variant).:thumbu: I think this is the beginning of the end of this pandemic, but that’s my gut feeling. Rewatching the Leafs slaughter the Oilers later this afternoon.:D I want to wish everyone here a great Christmas. When your out there amongst the Christmas bustle, don’t panic, be kind, respectful and thoughtful to each other while being true to your values and doing what’s right for you. Peace and Love.

I love guitars. If you feel like sharing, I'd be interested in pics and hearing about your experience building and playing this guitar as I'm interested in buying a ES335 style guitar one day. Not in the near future, but maybe some day ...

I am not a luthier, but enjoy playing guitars. I've been doing that for 55+ years now. However, with a recent divorce and move, I'm not doing much of anything. All my stuff is either in a mover's warehouse or a truck. Moving is a pain now, as is trying to buy a house, etc. Not sure if its entirely COVID to blame, but its really screwed up a lot of things.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Humidity in the oven. Seems counter intuitive but when you bake bread with a shallow pan of water in the oven develops a crispy hard crust like french bread.

Sorry misread that at first. The airy crust part comes from more cycles of rises (3+) and not over working the dough.

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
A pizza stone is a super simple solution to making quality homemade pizza. No pan. Some people just use a large terra cotta tile. I've gotten great results with it. I also "cheat" bit by using corn meal to slide the sticky dough on to the stone. At the very least, it'll be way better than any frozen pizza no matter how much they've improved.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I make my pizza in a heavy cast iron pan. I lube the bottom and sides with lard and the crust is awesome

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
First time I followed this YT demo for French Baguettes it turned out really well. Working with the sticky dough can be frustrating but I've tried it with a drier dough and it doesn't turn out as well:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am not a luthier, but enjoy playing guitars. I've been doing that for 55+ years now. However, with a recent divorce and move, I'm not doing much of anything. All my stuff is either in a mover's warehouse or a truck. Moving is a pain now, as is trying to buy a house, etc. Not sure if its entirely COVID to blame, but its really screwed up a lot of things.

That sucks man, hope you get things stabilized soon!

A pizza stone is a super simple solution to making quality homemade pizza. No pan. Some people just use a large terra cotta tile. I've gotten great results with it. I also "cheat" bit by using corn meal to slide the sticky dough on to the stone. At the very least, it'll be way better than any frozen pizza no matter how much they've improved.

My solution is simpler, albeit less sophisticated. I found that Cobs Bread sells homemade pizza crusts in packages of two and they are amazingly good! So just put on the toppings, pop in the oven for 10 minutes and presto. My fave lately is is pesto and mozzarella topped with tomatoes, olives and grilled artichokes. Yum!!

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
That sucks man, hope you get things stabilized soon!

My solution is simpler, albeit less sophisticated. I found that Cobs Bread sells homemade pizza crusts in packages of two and they are amazingly good! So just put on the toppings, pop in the oven for 10 minutes and presto. My fave lately is is pesto and mozzarella topped with tomatoes, olives and grilled artichokes. Yum!!
Thanks. I like your pizza idea btw.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I make my pizza in a heavy cast iron pan. I lube the bottom and sides with lard and the crust is awesome

I also use a large pan and the bottom is perfect, its the middle that needs improvement . The poolish idea (which is new to me) is certainly worth a try, as is trying multiple rise cycles.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

You should be vigilant about the stone you use, it should be food grade material. You never know what type of material or chemicals are used in the "stone". I emailed one company that makes firebricks for woodstoves and fireplaces, I asked if it would be ok to cook on the firebricks. They responded, "Don't do it" they then went on to explain about silicates in the stone and other stuff. I basically stopped reading after they said , don't do it.

I forgot to mention, when my granddaughter comes over we have to pretend we are Italian while making pizza because the dough knows. So, I play Funiculi, Funicula in the background from youtube, ok sometimes we blare it. LOL!

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Been watching succession pretty decent
yeah, mid season 2, its ok, entertainingly corrupt characters.
expanding my whiskey collection, picked up some Royal Crown Northern Harvest Rye, first Canadian whiskey I've had that didn't make me gag.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For some reason I want to make the best pizza in the world, Ive been watching alot of youtube videos, probably going to get a pizza oven built in the back patio this spring. Currently making so many I'm delivering to the neighbours. lol!

It is hard to make a bad pizza, and good pizza is obviously personal choice.

I like crispy top and bottom, on the greasy side. Like 1970's London Eastown Pizza, before they built an eat-in restaurant, won awards and went belly-up. Meet our Chef of the Year - Canadian Pizza Magazine

I left the city for a few years moved back and the old was gone and I thought the new (award winning) was just your typical get everywhere pizza.

Not sure I'd turn down even bad pizza, like I used to get from Digby NS, in 1973.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
yeah, mid season 2, its ok, entertainingly corrupt characters.
expanding my whiskey collection, picked up some Royal Crown Northern Harvest Rye, first Canadian whiskey I've had that didn't make me gag.

I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin Offerman Edition Guiness Cask Finish that I've been saving for the holidays so ... good times ahead. :)

I don't even see this Guiness version listed on lcbo.com anymore so this might be the first and last bottle of it I will ever drink. :(

Reactions: Macallan18

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It is hard to make a bad pizza, and good pizza is obviously personal choice.

I like crispy top and bottom, on the greasy side. Like 1970's London Eastown Pizza, before they built an eat-in restaurant, won awards and went belly-up. Meet our Chef of the Year - Canadian Pizza Magazine

I left the city for a few years moved back and the old was gone and I thought the new (award winning) was just your typical get everywhere pizza.

Not sure I'd turn down even bad pizza, like I used to get from Digby NS, in 1973.

Oh my first few were crackers... I just called it NewYork Style. lol! Pans are good for deepdish Chicago style, stone does seem to work well for Neapolitan style.

It is a personal choice, which makes the search all the more intriguing, Find a combination that everyone loves. I like adding parmesan to the mozzarella cheese many have said they like it better as well. Anyway the research just goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad