Post-Game Talk: No Lead Is Safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I don't see the "writing off this season" behavior - this doesn't make sense as of today.

Hynes extension was warranted at the time, and they can fire him at anytime.

You weren't going to buy Cory out last offseason- and they still aren't. He's more likely to retire or go on LTIR, than buy him out. He'd cost too much.

Philly's been great these last couple years in the NBA, so I'm not sure what you're getting at - and the leagues are just different operation models in terms of winning. NBA you need 3 great players, you need to lose to draft them.

I disagree that Hynes’ extension was warranted. I think he’s been a disaster. The amount of losing - and in particular the losing streaks - is indicative of a coaching staff that is unable to keep things from snowballing.

In terms of Cory, it would have been hard to jettison that contract, but Edmonton managed to rid themselves of Lucic, so even really bad contracts are moveable.

Philly has been great? They are good, but given their draft picks and amount of talent, I don’t know that anyone would say that management has gotten then to perform better than expectations.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
There's literally no difference between Cory in 2019 and Marty in 2014, other than the fact that one guy was about 9 years older than the other. And the only advantage Cory ever had was the fact that he's not 40+ years old, so maybe there's a little bit more hope in him turning it around after 4 years of declining play than there was for a 40-something year old Marty after 4 years of declining play, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. The odds were always stacked against it happening.

While I agree with most of your post, and I'll brush past any SV% mention since we'll agree to disagree - I'll take offense at the above statement...

One was a true hockey player and goalie who could read the play, understood the nuances of goaltending and would do what his team needed to win a game. The other was an athlete who relied upon quickness, reflexes and positioning with all sorts of flaws in his overall goaltending game. In the NHL, any chink in your armor gets exposed, and if it gets exposed enough (like rebound control) it wrecks your confidence.

Cory lost his fastball and he's now worthless. When Marty lost his fastball it wasn't a big deal because he knew how to *pitch*.

Marty could make a bad team play better in front of him, settle them down, and pick them up.

Cory is just a big question mark and that totally wrecks the psyche of an already fragile shitshow in front of him.

Reactions: Hypernova

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I disagree that Hynes’ extension was warranted. I think he’s been a disaster. The amount of losing - and in particular the losing streaks - is indicative of a coaching staff that is unable to keep things from snowballing.

In terms of Cory, it would have been hard to jettison that contract, but Edmonton managed to rid themselves of Lucic, so even really bad contracts are moveable.

Philly has been great? They are good, but given their draft picks and amount of talent, I don’t know that anyone would say that management has gotten then to perform better than expectations.
they lost to the team who won in the finals on a buzzer beater shot in game 7.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I'm glad they spent a good amount of time on this game on the NHL Network. They showed PK and Halls comments and pretty much called Hall out and said yeah of course they're booing with the way we've thrown away games. They gave PK props for taking ownership of his poor play.

They listed all the blown lead games at home and talked about coaching and not taking risks in certain game situations and stapling guys to the bench to send a message (Halls dumb turnover). Called him out for that one and mentioned he needs to be a leader out there lol.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This is objectively *worse* than when MacLean was coach.

I'll completely agree with this. Expectations are killing us.

The season they went to the playoffs two years ago, coming out of camp, I had the feeling that they were a blue-collar team with one great player who were just going to go to work and grind out some wins depsite everyone crapping on them.

Guys like Coleman, Wood, Nose, Gibbons jump started the season, and we had very very steady play from the Kids and the Hall, and by a second line with Zajac and Palms.

THIS year, it felt like 'we're just going to show up with all of this talent and start winning automagically' - and there is a feeling that there is not really one guy on the team that is just going to 'grind it out'...

I mean - even Coleman has a little 'wedding hangover' going on or something after that first crazy goal... and only really Zajac and Zacha (because of the KHL stuff) have seemingly come to play every night. Everyone else is just waiting for someone else (Jack, Subban, Hall, Nico, Gusev) to do something - or gripping their own sticks so hard that it hurts. Jack gets a pass for sure. Subban and Hall... not so much.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
"Good teams find ways to win while bad teams find ways to lose" has never seemed more appropriate of a description of the way this season has gone.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
here’s a fact, Nico sucks and can’t score

Since Nico has entered the NHL in 2017, he has outproduced the following players at 5 on 5:

Cam Atkinson
Dylan Larkin
Nik Ehlers
Nick Backstrom
Vladimir Tarasenko
Mark Scheifele
Blake Wheeler
Logan Couture
Jake Voracek
Anze Kopitar
Jonathan Toews
Tyler Seguin
Patrik Laine
Gabriel Landeskog

to name few. at 18-20 years old. But yes, he "sucks and cannot score". Sure.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Since Nico has entered the NHL in 2017, he has outproduced the following players at 5 on 5:

Cam Atkinson
Dylan Larkin
Nik Ehlers
Nick Backstrom
Vladimir Tarasenko
Mark Scheifele
Blake Wheeler
Logan Couture
Jack Voracek
Anze Kopitar
Jonathan Toews
Tyler Seguin
Patrik Laine
Gabriel Landeskog

to name few. But yes, he "sucks and cannot score". Sure.

This is absolutely accurate, but you've come to the wrong place for rational takes. The Devils could outshoot the Stanley Cup champions 55-14 and lose in a shootout, and we would need to blow the whole team up yesterday and fire every executive in the organization. At a very minimum, bring back Lemaire and the neutral zone trap.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada

Cam Atkinson
Dylan Larkin
Nik Ehlers
Nick Backstrom
Vladimir Tarasenko
Mark Scheifele
Blake Wheeler
Logan Couture
Jake Voracek
Anze Kopitar
Jonathan Toews
Tyler Seguin
Patrik Laine
Gabriel Landeskog

to name few. at 18-20 years old. But yes, he "sucks and cannot score". Sure.
Yeah but he is not producing like Petterson, we shoulda drafted him instead! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad