Post-Game Talk: No Lead Is Safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
great assessment .. Shero and Hynes have to make the tough decision .. but they have to do it now.. or they may as well kiss the season goodbye...it is likely too late already but the team needs a spark in net much like KK gave them...I don't love Hynes at this point.... but if we are being brutally honest with ourselves what NHL coach would have a better record right now with the level of play they have gotten in net.. when they get good play in net they do well...

Shero needs to act on at least one of those issues... Real FAST: Hynes, Hall, and goaltending. Preferabbly all 3.

To be honest, I'd like to see a new captain named as well, where is Greene in this debacle...

It would be horrible to drag this out through November.

After sleeping on this, still pissed off.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
An understated part of how bad this first ten games have been is they’ve had 7 of 10 at home in a spaced out schedule with not the greatest competition. What’s going to happen when we go on the road and play better teams?!

Reactions: Auto Pilot

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
An understated part of how bad this first ten games have been is they’ve had 7 of 10 at home in a spaced out schedule with not the greatest competition. What’s going to happen when we go on the road and play better teams?!

Annndd... Edm had a badish game when they played us. Florida winnable.

Tb was horrible yesterday, yet we still dropped a turd.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
All Cory Schneider did in NJ was screw us out of a better chance at McDavid and Matthews

But don’t worry we got the #1 overall that hasn’t scored a goal since February

Jack Hughes easily has 80+ point upside though, although nico is not in the same tier. Hughes is like a more talented version of Johnny hockey that plays the premier position.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Growing pains with new players would be one thing, but after 10 games we can still say every loss has been terrible.

I support Shero and think he's been appropriately aggressive, but now it seems like he's willing to write off this season to make Hynes work. It just feels so forced.
I’ve said it a lot the last few days and I really feel strongly about this. I’m pretty confident this will happen.

Hynes fate is probably already sealed. It’s just a matter of if he goes at the conclusion of the season or earlier. I have a feeling Shero is looking for a big name coach like Boudreau, but he has to wait for one of them to become available, which might not be until this offseason.

So if he cans him earlier, it will probably be an interim. Maybe Fitzgerald or somebody like that. Nasreddine is probably out with Hynes whenever that is. Kowalsky will probably be gone after the season, since he was a Hynes hire.

If we turn out to make the playoffs this year, Hynes probably keeps his job, but do you really think we’re gonna make the playoffs after what we just saw this October?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
also i think we win last night if blackwood was in goal, and i think we probably win last friday night if schneider was in goal - blackwood shouldn't have been playing after sitting out all week with the flu and basically having one practice in 5 days

but those things are on the coaching and their decision making

Reactions: Nico Hischier

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Schneider is completely cooked. That short stretch towards the end of last season was clearly a mirage. The stats over the past few years tell a very disturbing story. He certainly does not pass the “eye test,” letting in shots that should be routine stops, poor rebound control and general ineptitude...does this guy EVER make a big save?!

Blackwood has been shaky at times for sure but it’s time the Devils let the kid play for a prolonged period of games. I’m not saying he is the answer but the team needs to see what they have (or don’t have) in him. It’s painfully obvious to us (but apparently not this coaching staff) just how rancid Schneider is. Buy him out...he’s useless.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
it's completely rational to be mad about the devils blowing a multi goal lead again just like it is completely rational for him to say a team that finished 3rd worst in the league needs more talent. and then to say that internal growth will be one of the factors for getting more talent. but you avoided that part of the statement this whole time so I don't think you want to acknowledge how he qualified his 'we need more talent' statement.
Well let's go back to our original interaction regarding this "we need more talent" quote.

You asked when did he point fingers. That was an instance where he pointed fingers. Last night was another.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Well let's go back to our original interaction regarding this "we need more talent" quote.

You asked when did he point fingers. That was an instance where he pointed fingers. Last night was another.
And I don’t think saying we need more talent is pointing fingers especially considering how he qualified that statement. Obviously we’ll never agree on this

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's called a JMAc stretch, nothing to worry about, ya know.
Eh, Jmacs team was uncompetitive and couldnt even get a lead, they’d routinely lose 4-1 5-1 6-2. This team had multiple, multiple goal leads, they should have 6-7 wins.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The team entered this season with two big question marks: goal and coaching. They decided to ride out the Cory contract for at least this year, and Shero extended Hynes. Both those decisions are blowing up in their face.

Clearly, Shero and ownership are writing off this season. This season has been such a spectacular disaster that there almost hasn't been a reasonable way to course correct in-season. At this point, any move is really to re-establish a foundation and build toward next year.

Personally, I think we're at a very dicey point in the rebuild. The team clearly has enough talent to compete. But, performance is less than the sum of its parts. Can the Devils become something like the Astros where they build the management and winning culture around the talent? Or will they instead never figure out that side of it, and therefore become middling like the Sixers (or worse - a disaster like the Oilers and Sabres have been forever).

IMO, this starts with ownership. They don't have a great track record with Philly. The Philly management team isn't regarded as top tier in the NBA. It's not bad, but it's not great. Seems similar in NJ. Does ownership have the ability to evaluate, hire, and retain great people in management (GM included)? Or will they just hope that talented players will overcome whatever mediocrity in systems, roster construction, culture, etc. comes from management?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
tony-90-degrees.jpg

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
The team entered this season with two big question marks: goal and coaching. They decided to ride out the Cory contract for at least this year, and Shero extended Hynes. Both those decisions are blowing up in their face.

Clearly, Shero and ownership are writing off this season. This season has been such a spectacular disaster that there almost hasn't been a reasonable way to course correct in-season. At this point, any move is really to re-establish a foundation and build toward next year.

Personally, I think we're at a very dicey point in the rebuild. The team clearly has enough talent to compete. But, performance is less than the sum of its parts. Can the Devils become something like the Astros where they build the management and winning culture around the talent? Or will they instead never figure out that side of it, and therefore become middling like the Sixers (or worse - a disaster like the Oilers and Sabres have been forever).

IMO, this starts with ownership. They don't have a great track record with Philly. The Philly management team isn't regarded as top tier in the NBA. It's not bad, but it's not great. Seems similar in NJ. Does ownership have the ability to evaluate, hire, and retain great people in management (GM included)? Or will they just hope that talented players will overcome whatever mediocrity in systems, roster construction, culture, etc. comes from management?

I don't see the "writing off this season" behavior - this doesn't make sense as of today.

Hynes extension was warranted at the time, and they can fire him at anytime.

You weren't going to buy Cory out last offseason- and they still aren't. He's more likely to retire or go on LTIR, than buy him out. He'd cost too much.

Philly's been great these last couple years in the NBA, so I'm not sure what you're getting at - and the leagues are just different operation models in terms of winning. NBA you need 3 great players, you need to lose to draft them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Guys no need to panic it’s just a bad streak, even playoff teams go through this.

lol
This was my argument.

And we have played better lately.

But I certainly did not expect a game where we gave up 7 goals on 23 shots.

Or 12 goals on 40 shots over 2 games.

mosare

Dec 19, 2013
Jack Hughes easily has 80+ point upside though, although nico is not in the same tier. Hughes is like a more talented version of Johnny hockey that plays the premier position.

Hahaha!!! What did u smoke? I am sure they are in the same tier, although hughes is probably bit better offense and nico defense, but both will be outstanding players.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
nobody who works for this organization should be writing the season off already that's still ridiculous regardless of what the odds say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad