Post-Game Talk: No Lead Is Safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
nobody who works for this organization should be writing the season off already that's still ridiculous regardless of what the odds say

The Devils basically have 72 games to collect 90 points which would put them at 97 on the season and likely in a playoff spot...

Sure, it's still way too early to write off the season, but asking this team to play a 102/103-point pace for the rest of the season? We should temper expectations.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Wasn't able to watch the game. Gonna have to watch the highlights later so I can be miserable. I see we out shot them at a 42-23. What the hell happened? Was Schneider that bad? Defense? Or both?

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Wasn't able to watch the game. Gonna have to watch the highlights later so I can be miserable. I see we out shot them at a 42-23. What the hell happened? Was Schneider that bad? Defense? Or both?

source.gif

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we can make up a lot of points in our division as we've only played 2 games against the metro so far. obviously it's going to be hard but with games in hand and the way the other teams are playing it's not impossible. but obviously that's only if something changes and they stop finding new ways to lose every day

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
but also my point was about the team - management, coaching, players, etc. they absolutely can not write the season off this early. fans can give up for all i care

Reactions: devilsblood

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Hahaha!!! What did u smoke? I am sure they are in the same tier, although hughes is probably bit better offense and nico defense, but both will be outstanding players.

Jack Hughes is already a better offensive threat than Nico and he's 18 years old and fragile... His skating, shot, and vision are all a tier above Nico who is more of an all around player. What did I smoke.... Do you even watch the Devils or follow prospects? Jack Hughes was always considered a much better prospect than Nico was.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Hahaha!!! What did u smoke? I am sure they are in the same tier, although hughes is probably bit better offense and nico defense, but both will be outstanding players.

Bud Hughes has shown more offensive creativity, flash and ability in ten games than Nico has in his career thus far.

Nico isn't a dynamic forward. Love the kid, but he is what he is. I'd be surprised if Nico ever gets himself out of Pettersson's shadow.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schneider is completely cooked. That short stretch towards the end of last season was clearly a mirage. The stats over the past few years tell a very disturbing story. He certainly does not pass the “eye test,” letting in shots that should be routine stops, poor rebound control and general ineptitude...does this guy EVER make a big save?!

Blackwood has been shaky at times for sure but it’s time the Devils let the kid play for a prolonged period of games. I’m not saying he is the answer but the team needs to see what they have (or don’t have) in him. It’s painfully obvious to us (but apparently not this coaching staff) just how rancid Schneider is. Buy him out...he’s useless.
One thing I think you can't fault this coaching staff on is how they've played Schneider. Hynes has been sitting Schneider and has had him on a short leash ever since 16-17. He even benched him for the last 3 weeks of the 17-18 season, when he murdered us in that game in San Jose. If he had given Schneider even one game between then and before we clinched a playoff spot, we likely lose at least one point and miss the playoffs and the Panthers get in.

So I think the staff has done a good enough job not to play him, as Blackwood has had some awful games this year (but he actually has 2 good games, Schneider hasn't allowed fewer than 2 goals in a game that he played the entirety of all season) and was coming off what was probably his worst game of the year. And this was easily the worst game Schneider has played since last December.

I've been on the buy him out wagon since a year ago, but this time we REALLY NEED to buy him out after this year, unless he's injured to the point of going to LTIR. However we have to do it, he can't play him next year. He's one of the worst players in the league at his position.

Reactions: longislanddevil

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
we can make up a lot of points in our division as we've only played 2 games against the metro so far. obviously it's going to be hard but with games in hand and the way the other teams are playing it's not impossible. but obviously that's only if something changes and they stop finding new ways to lose every day

Problem is the amount of 3 point games that will occur between now and April within the division will be plenty. So even if they win some in overtime or shootout you're only gaining 1 point.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Bud Hughes has shown more offensive creativity, flash and ability in ten games than Nico has in his career thus far.

Nico isn't a dynamic forward. Love the kid, but he is what he is. I'd be surprised if Nico ever gets himself out of Pettersson's shadow.
i don't really think he's in his shadow

great picks happen like that all the time. at LEAST he's not nolan (thus far). i'm happy with our beautiful future selke winner

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
1)Schneider was def not good. Tampa did score a beauty of a goal, they also had at least one tip, and Hall put one in his own net. So some of the goals you just don't expect a goalie to stop, but you also expect your goalie to make some unexpected saves. Then there were a couple that he just has to save.

2)I find the breakdowns to be more team, full ice break downs, then merely defensive breakdowns. Hall had a late turnover just inside the offensive zone that Tampa turned into an odd man rush and eventually scored on (see Hall putting one in his own net) and we've seen a bunch of those types this season. A couple from Zacha, Palms had one, Wood-Rooney last game, Simmonds last game. Just bad turnovers that go the other way and lead to a goal. But again, you do expect your goalie to bail you out. Ours are not, at least not nearly enough.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Stop with this Nico vs Jack horse****. When they both hit their peaks Nico won’t be as good offensively as Jack and Jack will be nowhere close to Nico’s two way play.

Just stop, its a pointless debate.

We can't have nice things.

This board will always throw dirt at one player to make their point about another, even when both players are productive and fill a role.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nico is a low tier 1OA, Jack is probably a mid tier 1OA. Happy to have both, but Jack will be the better player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

But merely being dynamic does not make you better. Otherwise Gusev would not be hemmed in his own zone all game.

Nico plays a complete game, and with that comes big responsibilities. He's getting very tough minutes this year. While Hughes is getting very easy minutes. Is Hughes a more talented offensive player? I think that is clear already, but there is more to it then that.

Reactions: swissexpert

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Problem is the amount of 3 point games that will occur between now and April within the division will be plenty. So even if they win some in overtime or shootout you're only gaining 1 point.

if (and a big if) we win the games we have at hand we are what, 3 points out of the wildcard? 3 points behind pittsburgh, 4 points behind toronto, 3 points behind tampa and montreal and it's still october.

if the team/goaltending plays like they have been then they're not going to win. but i really believe the team is better than they've shown they just haven't figured it out, they have no confidence to close out games and there seems to be a losing culture. there need to be changes

Reactions: devilsblood

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I don't know what you guys are talking about with Hall's "comments," just went through all the post game interviews on Devils youtube page. Hall had a nice short interview on there where he said nothing about the fans. Must have never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad