No Females within NHL coaching nor Management fraternity/ Old boys Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not quite aware of who is who, but is there a women CEO in the NHL? As in, a person who mainly deals with the business side of the game?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I disagree that it begins at the grass roots level.

I think the NHL should be more proactive. This begins at the NHL level. Nhl should create greater opportunities for women to (as someone mentioned earlier on here); "groomed / apprenticeship / co-op program" where they can learn & develop GM skills: like cap management, CBA, contract negotations, pro & amateur scouting, team building/ construction"
But why? Why cant they take the initiative and go the normal route?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It has always been an old boys club.

Plenty of past or current executives had no NHL experience, and there are management positions that aren't directly related to on-ice activity anyways.. so it is pretty obvious.

Pro sports will be destroyed if they cease being merit based.

You think it is merit based now? People in the network get recycled constantly.

However there is an old boys' network in the NHL that provides entry to the business to hockey peoples' friends and family over outsiders. I bet when there are female hires, they will be from an existing NHL hockey family.

Oh right, so it isn't just merit based.. I mean this isn't a problem with only the NHL. Nepotism is everywhere.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
There are currently no qualified women for NHL front office positions, but I'm sure there are qualified women that are qualified for front office positions in lower level organizations. Unfortunately, those are also old-boys clubs, so you will not see very many - if any - women in front office positions in there, and then if those women can't get the lower level experience, how will they ever get NHL positions?

It's a systemic thing, not specific to the NHL, though NHL does have resources to help with this (by supporting womens hockey).

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
This, and it's an issue because feminist and leftist ideology is being jammed down everyone's throats, they believe in equality of outcome and not equality of opportunity. So if females aren't represented it must be discrimination which is why op called the NHL "Old Boys Club", insinuating there is discrimination, yet providing no evidence.

No. equality of opportunity is the problem. And there's an enormous weight of evidence across industries, cultures, times and places. Are you seriously arguing that NHL management is an equal-opportunity venue to to which talented women/persons of colour etc need only apply?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Pro sports will be destroyed if they cease being merit based.

They've never, ever been merit based on the whole at an executive level. If they were, ex-players would never be hired.

And I'd just love to know how you think you know there are no qualified women, particularly for positions like AGM or Pro Scouting, where historically a law degree or any level of playing experience are the dominant qualifications. There's no freaking way that there are zero women as qualified to work in management roles as John Chayka.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This, and it's an issue because feminist and leftist ideology is being jammed down everyone's throats, they believe in equality of outcome and not equality of opportunity. So if females aren't represented it must be discrimination which is why op called the NHL "Old Boys Club", insinuating there is discrimination, yet providing no evidence.

The evidence is that there are no women in the coaching or front office management positions. An extremely unlikely outcome statistically if opportunities were indeed equal. (hint: they aren't)

Bryzard of Oz

Mar 28, 2012
John Mara explicitly stated that he's never had an issue be as much of an emotional sounding board from fans more than the Kaepernick issue. Other general managers and individuals in management and ownership positions have stated the same thing. If you have a problem with me repeating those facts, so be it.

Key word, from fans. There's decades of precedence of GMs not giving two ***** what fans think if it will help their football club win. Why is this situation different? Because ESPN decided to morph into some hybrid sports/political commentary network? Because a majority of visible celebrities are salty over the election?

Hypothetical - Kaep signs in Dallas to backup Prescott after Romo leaves (one of the few places he could conceivably fit). Prescott goes down in prime time on opening night and Kaep leads them to a comeback win over the Giants. How many people are talking about this "conspiracy theory" after that? No one.

I agree that from a skill set standpoint and a fit perspective Kaepernick isn't a sensible gamble to take for multiple teams and would be hard pressed to carve out a spot as a #2 guy on any roster in the league. There is a difference between making an opening day roster and not even getting invitations to OTA's or Training Camp and the former. When other QB's who have accomplished far less and are awkward fits for certain systems are getting signed however, you'd have to be pretty naive to think that Kaepernick getting passed over is strictly due to his limitations as a football player.

I don't see anyone complaining about RG3 - a younger, potentially cheaper version not getting any phone calls?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I disagree that it begins at the grass roots level.

I think the NHL should be more proactive. This begins at the NHL level. Nhl should create greater opportunities for women to (as someone mentioned earlier on here); "groomed / apprenticeship / co-op program" where they can learn & develop GM skills: like cap management, CBA, contract negotations, pro & amateur scouting, team building/ construction"

Ugh...why is there this need by some to go out looking for a "problem". If there are actually women out there that are clearly being discriminated against in the hockey ranks, then I would have a huge problem with it. But that doesn't seem to be the case - every indication is that women have equal OPPORTUNITY as a man to work in a hockey management position and work their way up to the NHL level. That's all you can ask for.

While we're at it with creating special treatment for women to get into these NHL positions, how about some programs for women miners, garbage collectors, deep sea fishers, loggers, etc - you know, other professions where women are severely underrepresented? Where's the outrage for those professions and when are those programs coming along?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Ugh...why is there this need by some to go out looking for a "problem". If there are actually women out there that are clearly being discriminated against in the hockey ranks, then I would have a huge problem with it. But that doesn't seem to be the case - every indication is that women have equal OPPORTUNITY as a man to work in a hockey management position and work their way up to the NHL level. That's all you can ask for.

Citation needed.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The evidence is that there are no women in the coaching or front office management positions. An extremely unlikely outcome statistically if opportunities were indeed equal. (hint: they aren't)

If you assume that the applicants were equal to the gender split within society (hint: they aren't).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

100% correct.

People don't really want to dig into an issue and really understand it, so they chalk it up to "discrimination" or "racism" (for Kaepernick), etc.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Anyone mention Becky Hammon? Assistant Coach for the Spurs in the NBA, I think that'll be the first step towards getting more women involved with the game at a higher level. I don't see any reason why there can't be a female assistant coach, or goalie coach possibly... but even in women's hockey most of the coaching staff are men

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
At the very least they will go the way of the NFL and at least gt started with some guest coaches or assistants sooner than later I would imagine.

I think there are some pretty bright women in the coaching ranks with some good accomplishments.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
To me, people should be hired based upon their merit not their gender. If a female is more qualified for a position she should be hired based upon that not because she's a woman. This coming from a man who's profession is in a female dominated industry.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
It'd be hard for female coaches/trainers etc. to be in the NHL just cause it would be deemed inappropriate for them to be in the same dressing rooms as men.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Find it odd. That there are no females within the coaching nor Hockey decisions Management ranks in the NHL.

It's not like women are not capable of doing the job. I Would like to see someone been given the chance. Old boys club currently. Wouldn't hurt to have some creative female minds in the game; instead of the non creative Jim Bennings of the world.

Don't even think that there are any women within the Scouting ranks .

Ummm there are at least a handful of teams who have female skating coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad