No Females within NHL coaching nor Management fraternity/ Old boys Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Find it odd. That there are no females within the coaching nor Hockey decisions Management ranks in the NHL.

It's not like women are not capable of doing the job. I Would like to see someone been given the chance. Old boys club currently. Wouldn't hurt to have some creative female minds in the game; instead of the non creative Jim Bennings of the world.

Don't even think that there are any women within the Scouting ranks .

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Needs to be some women qualified via experience coaching / managing at the junior / minor league level first.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Everyone should be forced to have one female on the ice at all times. Kinda like mixed soccer

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
There are feeder systems in place. If someone deserves a hire from the NWHL or CWHL I'm sure they'll get a look. Hiring a women just because she's a women is beyond patronizing.

F.Y.I. There are already women on NHL staffs.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
No, they shouldn't hire women just because they are women, but they can absolutely create more internship/training programs. That would be an excellent beginning.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I'm not saying they SHOULDN'T hire a woman if she's qualified and wants the gig, but does anyone think it would be a little awkward having a woman in the room while 15 odd guys was walking around with their wangs out after a shower? lmao

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Can't see it happening in the NHL with how conservative things are. Not in the political sense, but the safe robotic interview sense. A female GM is a guarantee that every trade will have extra scrutiny and have endless analysis of whether she's getting unfair value because the other GM is sexist. An eventual firing would also create a media storm.

I can't see NHL owners wanting that kind of attention, they're having a hard enough time just dealing with concussions and painkiller use. Even just hiring a young guy like Chayka was a headache.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Maybe the majority of women have different career interests so there's not many seeking those positions?

Just because there aren't any doesn't mean they're being forced away..

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
These are the same people who are saying that it's unfair Kaepernick doesn't have a job and the NFL should force a team to sign him. It's utter stupidity.

Your analogy is inherently flawed and ridiculous.

Kaepernick is blacklisted because a bunch of fragile white racist fans couldn't deal with the fact that a black player was taking a passive stand against a very serious issue and tried spinning it as him disrespecting the country and its armed forces. Based on merit and qualifications, he should've been signed before numerous other players that have already been given opportunities.

As for the thread topic; when it comes to having female involvement in the league, I expect the NHL, like it does with nearly everything else, will lag far behind the other professional sports leagues in terms of encouraging and giving women the opportunities to pursue career opportunities in their respective leagues. We've seen female assistant coaches in the NBA, coaching interns in the NFL, refs in the NFL, owners in the NBA, MLB and NFL, women in management positions in the NFL etc.... the NHL will catch up eventually but I doubt it will ever be as progressive or forward thinking as the other leagues.

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Can't see it happening in the NHL with how conservative things are. Not in the political sense, but the safe robotic interview sense. A female GM is a guarantee that every trade will have extra scrutiny and have endless analysis of whether she's getting unfair value because the other GM is sexist. An eventual firing would also create a media storm.

I can't see NHL owners wanting that kind of attention, they're having a hard enough time just dealing with concussions and painkiller use. Even just hiring a young guy like Chayka was a headache.

I could see an female GM in the not too distant future, she would probably have to have proven herself 10X over what the average male candidate would though. That or she could be the daughter of a longtime GM who was groomed for the position.

I don't see a female coach any time soon though. Even if you ignore that most coaches have played the game at a high level I don't think the average player would be very comfortable with a woman leading them in the dressing room. Sports culture and attitude is very much a thing and, until that drastically changes, it would be a bigger headache than it would be worth for any team.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Bo Horvats skating coach is a woman and she has done great work with him.

Barb Williams was teaching power skating to the Isles all the way back in the early 80's. Women who want to be around have a chance to be around but on ice NHL jobs are hard to get for everyone male or female. I have been a part of the game for decades but I could not get an on ice position of any relevance.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Having a woman as a head-coach would be a terrible idea.

Not that women can't do the job, but because of the dynamics. How long before the players make a bet about who's the first to sleep with her?

Like it or not, that's a locker-room atmosphere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Your analogy is inherently flawed and ridiculous.

Kaepernick is blacklisted because a bunch of fragile white racist fans couldn't deal with the fact that a black player was taking a passive stand against a very serious issue and tried spinning it as him disrespecting the country and its armed forces. Based on merit and qualifications, he should've been signed before numerous other players that have already been given opportunities.

You see, this is exactly what I was talking about when I made my original post. Know why Kaepernick doesn't have a job? Because he's not that good and NFL owners don't want to deal with the media circus that comes with him. You're doing exactly what I was saying was dumb, you're making it more than "Kaepernick isn't that good while having a media circus around him".

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Why would NHL teams hire women when men like Jim Benning, Mike Milbury and Kevin Lowe are looking for work?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
You see, this is exactly what I was talking about when I made my original post. Know why Kaepernick doesn't have a job? Because he's not that good and NFL owners don't want to deal with the media circus that comes with him. You're doing exactly what I was saying was dumb, you're making it more than "Kaepernick isn't that good while having a media circus around him".

Once again, I'd steer away from making analogous comparisons if you don't know how to do it properly.

It has explicitly been stated and implied that the reasons teams have steered clear is because of the potential backlash they'd get from signing him as well as GM's mentioning that they've heard from fans threatening to cancel their season tickets if they dared sign Kaepernick. The issue here is the sentiment is being dictated by a vocal contingent of racist fans that have created the media circus more than anything directly relating to his ability as a football player. While Kaepernick has his flaws as a football player, it is ridiculous that the narrative around him has been corrupted and spun out of control by people who disingenuously twisted the point of his protest.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Manon Rheaume kind of counts, right? Played goalie in an exhibition game. Hayley Wickenheiser competed against men too didn't she?

Management-wise, like others have said it'll take a while longer to see women in roles like HC or GM, but they've been useful in other areas. When we start seeing them succeed at the minor ranks is when we'll start seeing them appear in the bigger leagues.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Nah I'm pretty sure he's being black listed. He's definitely good enough to be on an NFL team and the media circus around him is over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad