No Females within NHL coaching nor Management fraternity/ Old boys Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If you don't believe there is resistance to allowing females into male dominated industries, I think you are probably a little naive.

For some reason they are simultaneously agreeing that it is an unfair playing field while at the same time disagreeing that it is a problem.

Go figure.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not publicly.

I work in a male dominated industry. You wouldn't believe the number of times I have heard co-workers say that they don't want to see any more females hired because they are worried they won't have the freedom to say whatever they wish, like the inside of a locker room.

It's not that they are against women, they just feel that having more women in the workplace might mean they have to censor themselves which leads to a decreased comfort level.

I'd be shocked if this attitude doesn't exist in NHL hockey circles.

I too work in a male-dominated industry and we have pretty much demanded that they'd try hiring even one female to our kind of (=blue-collar) jobs. It's been difficult for them to assign any of the female summer employees to our shift-work system for some reason. Our supervisor who is interviewing the applicants says a summer employee would pretty much guarantee herself getting the job by a) being a girl (=18+ young woman) and b) not messing up the interview, so that's at least something.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I too work in a male-dominated industry and we have pretty much demanded that they'd try hiring even one female to our kind of (=blue-collar) jobs. It's been difficult for them to assign any of the female summer employees to our shift-work system for some reason. Our supervisor who is interviewing the applicants says a summer employee would pretty much guarantee herself getting the job by a) being a girl (=18+ young woman) and b) not messing up the interview, so that's at least something.

They get a tax break or something if they have more women?

Seems weird that they would lower the bar so much for them

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For some reason they are simultaneously agreeing that it is an unfair playing field while at the same time disagreeing that it is a problem.

Go figure.

That's because the NHL isn't where the problem exists. There would be a problem if qualified women were not getting opportunities in the NHL. I've seen no evidence that this is happening. The issue is that there aren't qualified women, and the reason is largely found at the lower levels of hockey.

It is unfair that poor people generally can't play hockey, at least at a high level. Does that mean that there is a problem with how the NHL does business? No. It means that there should be changes at the lower levels of hockey, which the NHL could and should be involved in. Same thing with women.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
That's because the NHL isn't where the problem exists. There would be a problem if qualified women were not getting opportunities in the NHL. I've seen no evidence that this is happening. The issue is that there aren't qualified women, and the reason is largely found at the lower levels of hockey.

So it is a symptom of a larger problem. Ok.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Go figure.

There are unfair playing fields all over the place. Its much harder for me to get a job in hockey than it would be for say, the daughter of Brian Burke or Lou Lam.

As an aside, here is a woman who gets it.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3934538

While Im sure she is very much the exception, here is someone literally working her way up in a male dominated sport with ambition.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Believe it or not, there are a ton of women out there who are both qualified to be in NHL front offices (gimme a break with this skating coach thing) and are interested in being in one. But the NHL does not hire anyone based on ability. It's 100% on reputation and nepotism. Women are gate-keeped from being in hockey management at any level. That's just a fact. This isn't about women not working hard enough.

This is yet another area where the NHL could learn a lesson from the NBA.

Women shouldn't suffer because sportzmen want an environment where they're free to be sexist *******s.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Believe it or not, there are a ton of women out there who are both qualified to be in NHL front offices (gimme a break with this skating coach thing) and are interested in being in one. But the NHL does not hire anyone based on ability. It's 100% on reputation and nepotism. Women are gate-keeped from being in hockey management at any level. That's just a fact. This isn't about women not working hard enough.

This is yet another area where the NHL could learn a lesson from the NBA.

Women shouldn't suffer because sportzmen want an environment where they're free to be sexist *******s.
Link?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Wild have a female in Hockey Operations, in a player evaluation/analysis role. Advising both the GM and coaches. Alexandra Mandrycky was one of the brains behind War-On-Ice, and was hired by the Wild a could years ago.

They might be the first, but if women are to get to get higher up in mgmt her's is likely the route. And goes to show that if the talent is there, someone will eventually hire it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It should also be noted that two decades ago, Angela Gorgone was an assistant General Manager in the NHL with Anaheim, and the Sharks had a female scout. So it's not unprecedented. If the talent's there, and it can get noticed. It will get hired.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
Once again, I'd steer away from making analogous comparisons if you don't know how to do it properly.

It has explicitly been stated and implied that the reasons teams have steered clear is because of the potential backlash they'd get from signing him as well as GM's mentioning that they've heard from fans threatening to cancel their season tickets if they dared sign Kaepernick. The issue here is the sentiment is being dictated by a vocal contingent of racist fans that have created the media circus more than anything directly relating to his ability as a football player. While Kaepernick has his flaws as a football player, it is ridiculous that the narrative around him has been corrupted and spun out of control by people who disingenuously twisted the point of his protest.

[MOD]

Racist fans?!?! More like patriotic fans. I didn't see him taking a knee to protest the white cops that were murdered by a black male. How come nobody ever talks about the white people that get killed by other races? I personally don't care what his reasoning is for taking a knee but I will always look at him being the racist and unpatriotic. I hope nobody signs him. As far as a woman in the NHL goes if she is qualified and put in the work just like everyone else then she's earned her spot. But a woman shouldn't be hired just because she's a woman. This country's getting a little out of hand with this stuff. Best PERSON for the job is what things should be. It shouldn't be based on race,religion, sexual orientation, sex, etc.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Racist fans?!?! More like patriotic fans. I didn't see him taking a knee to protest the white cops that were murdered by a black male. How come nobody ever talks about the white people that get killed by other races? I personally don't care what his reasoning is for taking a knee but I will always look at him being the racist and unpatriotic. I hope nobody signs him. As far as a woman in the NHL goes if she is qualified and put in the work just like everyone else then she's earned her spot. But a woman shouldn't be hired just because she's a woman. This country's getting a little out of hand with this stuff. Best PERSON for the job is what things should be. It shouldn't be based on race,religion, sexual orientation, sex, etc.

The system as is doesn't allow for the best person for the job, that's the problem. People don't want favoritism they want equality.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It should be best person for the job. Most of the time it isn't because humans are stupid and don't judge other humans very well. As for Kap and the patriotism stuff, the country could use a little less of the patriotic thinking and actually take a good look at what's going on within itself.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Kapernick isn't good enough to be worth the hassle.

And it's not even a big hassle. He's just not that good.

Once the browns lose two or so QBs I could see him ending up there

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
It should be best person for the job. Most of the time it isn't because humans are stupid and don't judge other humans very well. As for Kap and the patriotism stuff, the country could use a little less of the patriotic thinking and actually take a good look at what's going on within itself.

It's also a business. Why would any GM bring in a toxic player who isn't even that good? People watch sports to get away from the politics, not have it rammed down their throat with a media circus after the national anthem. It doesn't help that his "stance" is about non-issue.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Find it odd. That there are no females within the coaching nor Hockey decisions Management ranks in the NHL.

It's not like women are not capable of doing the job. I Would like to see someone been given the chance. Old boys club currently. Wouldn't hurt to have some creative female minds in the game; instead of the non creative Jim Bennings of the world.

Don't even think that there are any women within the Scouting ranks .

#1 if they aren't there it's because they aren't good enough, simple as that

#2 Brab Underhill work for the Leafs as a skating coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad