Proposal: NJDevils proposals - CHI, MIN, CGY, SJS, FLA, VAN

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The Garland deal is tempting, but I think the Canucks refuse. Garland's 5v5 production is a bit too valuable to us, and I'm betting his numbers will go up with some PP time. Value seems about right though.
I wouldn’t say tempting… at bare minimum the 2nd round pick would be a must. I’d also tend to lean more towards Boeser vs garland.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
it really hasn’t been addressed, but this is a giant off-season for the Devils. A TON of decisions to make on new contracts and assets to cash in on to get the team competitive. I think a lot of these trades are realistic, however, the Devils really have to start being smart about the cap as well. With decisions on Zacha and Wood, and a Bratt extension, the dollars available under the cap are going to start dwindling. Mind you, they still need a good G to replace Bernier and possibly Blackwood. As great as it sounds to potentially get two of these top six forwards, if you see what’s made teams successful is having high production from ELC’s.

So with that said, in a vacuum, I think the smartest thing for the Devils to do is to take Slafkovsky, use Holtz in a trade for Fiala or Meier as the center pieces with the Devils obviously adding. I think Holtz is going to be a very good goal scorer, but Slafkovsky offers more of a skill set that the Devils desperately need that is much more rare than what Holtz has the potential to offer. I’m the first person that would absolutely kill for Matthew Tkachuk, but asset cost and economically speaking, the move is to take Slafkovsky and trade for one of the Swiss boys.
Easier said than done Id say. That’s assuming those teams even make those guys an option. Most likely scenario is you end the summer with Holtz and the second overall guy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The interest in Fiala for Holtz+ is less about high interest in Holtz than it is resignation to the fact that this trade isn't likely to go all that well for us.

If New Jersey is interested in Fiala, Holtz+ is probably their best offer and it's not impossible that it ends up being the best one Guerin gets.
Apparently Guerin has said that he wants fill the empty Fiala spot with one of Rossi/Jost. Makes sense, especially with Rossi. There is really only one spot available in the top 9, Rossi is not suited/needed for 4th line duties, and he has proven chemistry with Boldy. Zucc or Foligno won't be replaced by Holtz...I guess they could rotate him and Rossi down in the AHL, but that is not at all ideal.

Making the deal for Jost and Greenway last season really bunged things up in a variety of ways.

Bottom line is that while Holtz+ is reasonably good value for Fiala, Holtz is not a fit on MN as they are presently constructed.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Apparently Guerin has said that he wants fill the empty Fiala spot with one of Rossi/Jost. Makes sense, especially with Rossi. There is really only one spot available in the top 9, Rossi is not suited/needed for 4th line duties, and he has proven chemistry with Boldy. Zucc or Foligno won't be replaced by Holtz...I guess they could rotate him and Rossi down in the AHL, but that is not at all ideal.

Making the deal for Jost and Greenway last season really bunged things up in a variety of ways.

Bottom line is that while Holtz+ is reasonably good value for Fiala, Holtz is not a fit on MN as they are presently constructed.

Holtz is absolutely a fit because Gaudreau's spot in the lineup shouldn't be set in stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad