Confirmed Trade: [NJD/TOR] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Damn that's horrible for the leafs. Who is Joey anderson

I was surely in the camp of good return earlier this summer but those CBJ dumps make me question that. Could be a 2nd, could be future considerations, we shall see!

Edit: closer to the latter it is! Oh well, that’s the market.

Predictable. Once the flat cap came about, we were never going to get much for AJ.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Leafs fans: you might be disappointed and understandably so.

That being said, Joey Anderson is a coach's dream and does all the little things. He needs to put up more to be a viable middle six option but he does everything else. While I would still do this deal, I'm genuinely sad to see him go because I'm curious to what his ceiling is. He is definitely a hard worker and detail oriented player and his upside is unknown. But he belongs at the NHL level on a habits level. We'll see if the production is there.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's a solid trade for New Jersey. Thought Leafs would get more - at least a draft pick.

Clears salary to get under the cap & sign Dermott & Mikhayev.

Don't think Leafs improved their forward group, but they did improve their D. Net benefit overall I think.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Anderson could still be the same type of player as Johnsson but the Devils need that now and Toronto needs cap space. This is fine.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I said before I'd take a 3rd for Johnsson. This Josh Anderson was a recent 3rd rounder who's starting to crack a roster.

I'm ok with it.

You got a really good player Devils fans. You'll like him pretty quick. Fast, tenacious, and can shoot.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Johnsson is overpaid in a flat cap world. This is fine for the Leafs. At least they got something for him unlike Tyler Johnson.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
>Johnsson for a 1st Rounder
>Johnsson for Weegar
>Johnsson for Cernak
>Johnsson+ for Pesce

SmugPooh.jpg

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Always been a big fan of AJ - both on the Marlies and on the Leafs. Great energy player, but the kind of cap causality you expect when you overpay everyone.

NJ fans should be happy with him. I am not surprised about the return. I have been saying since around February that the return for AJ would range somewhere between small and nothing. Personally I preferred him over Kapanen, but GMs seem to disagree and I assume they have a reason.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Having watched quite a few Leafs games I like Johnsson. He's a heart and soul player. Good 3rd liner who can help on the 2nd from time to time.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad