Confirmed Trade: [NJD/TOR] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Any player "can" become a 2nd line player but for now hes a guy who scored 6pts in 18 games (not even 3rd line) and theres really nothing to suggest hes a future 2nd line player
Not saying that I think Anderson is a future top6 player or that I've ever watched him but no one thought Zac Hyman was ever going to be a 1st line player. They have similar production in the AHL and Hyman had only had 6 points in 16 games with his first sniff at the NHL while being a year older at the time.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Hi. I'm new here. Can a NJD fan give the skinny on Joey Anderson for me. I am intrigued.

Plays hard, skates every shift. Probably someone the Leafs will like. Blake Coleman is a decent comparable but Joey is already NHL calibre, so it might not take as long to get to that point. Doubt he's much more but definitely a useful player in your bottom 6.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Plays hard, skates every shift. Probably someone the Leafs will like. Blake Coleman is a decent comparable but Joey is already NHL calibre, so it might not take as long to get to that point. Doubt he's much more but definitely a useful player in your bottom 6.
Both are hard-working guys, but Coleman is definately a better skater and hitter. Anderson's strengths are elsewhere.

Reactions: My3Sons

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
it’s been hard to know where to start with these posters. best to just let it go.
No all you have done is take an already hilariously small sample size and made it even smaller by reducing it to 5v5 production in very limited ice time.

Here is a fun tid bit for you:
Take almost any player in a sub 20 game sample playing limited minutes and youll get some laugh worthy stats to "show" how good a player in

Yamamoto produced better 5v5 than Point, Draisaitl, Ovi and Kane. So he must have potential to be the best in the league, right?

Suomela (who) produced better 5v5 than Gaudreau, Tavares and Dubois. Looks like hes a future star!

Travis Boyd produced better than Horvat, Kopitar and Larkin. Must be a 1st line C, right?

Lets not forget Jayce Hawrlyk scoring at a better pace than Taylor Hall, Landeskog and Getzlaf. What's he doing in the minors!?

Now maybe you'll realize how ridiculous you sound.

Weird you haven't responded to this yet

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

I already said sample size is important to take into consideration, as well as a lot of other factors. Most of such factors Johnsson has been sheltered in. Like I said, the poster said he'd be thrilled if Johnsson can get 40pts in top 6 usage. He will if given enough PP time like I said, but 40pts on a sheltered 2nd line with mostly OZ starts is not an impressive feat, not even for what was given up.

Reactions: Wingsfan 4 life

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I already said sample size is important to take into consideration, as well as a lot of other factors. Most of such factors Johnsson has been sheltered in. Like I said, the poster said he'd be thrilled if Johnsson can get 40pts in top 6 usage. He will if given enough PP time like I said, but 40pts on a sheltered 2nd line with mostly OZ starts is not an impressive feat, not even for what was given up.
So you admit your point was ridiculous. Cool cool.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Is it weird not to respond to whatever that is? Just blather while you congratulate yourself for knowing what everyone does about small sample sizes?

This isn’t debate club, you can just not like a prospect and other people can go ahead and like them.

There’s also more ways to contribute to an NHL team as a forward than just by scoring, which is why failed scoring wingers end up in the AHL rather than make it as bottom six forwards. Anderson is going to contribute more than just points and I, and apparently others, think he’ll score more than you think. Pistols at dawn! [This is not shade at AJ where I’m suggesting he’s a failed scoring winger, just to be clear.]

I’m a Devils fan who thinks this is good trade for both teams. I’m very big on Anderson because I think he’s very close to a very useful third liner. I’m very bummed to lose him, I’m guessing the Leafs may “win” this trade in the long run. Anderson’s scoring future may be hazy, I will not make up numbers, but he’s pretty much already an NHLer, I would loooved if it was, say, Kuokkanen instead. To each their own.

That said, the Devils need goal scorers, both EV and PP, starting in game one. The team love speed, they love Swedes, they love team guys, they love hard workers, Johnsson is right up their alley. He’s very cheap, in terms of salary this is really a 3 year/2.5m deal. He’s age appropriate. We have less cap space then you think because we only have 15 guys on the roster, aren’t spend to the ceiling obviously, have to sign to two RFAs and spend even more money on our Lovecraftian cosmic horror defense.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Not saying that I think Anderson is a future top6 player or that I've ever watched him but no one thought Zac Hyman was ever going to be a 1st line player. They have similar production in the AHL and Hyman had only had 6 points in 16 games with his first sniff at the NHL while being a year older at the time.

Hyman has a career high of 41 points he on the first/second line because toronto has zero depth after 4 guys

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Hyman has a career high of 41 points he on the first/second line because toronto has zero depth after 4 guys
You can literally say that about any team in the league.

He is a first line complimentary player. He has proven that he can play with top end talent in both Tavares and Matthews. His role is to retrieve the puck and get it to the skill guys. He is one of the best forecheckers in the league and doesn't lose very many puck battles.

He was on pace to score 33 goals and 59 pts over 82 games this year.

Reactions: teddygmr

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Is it weird not to respond to whatever that is? Just blather while you congratulate yourself for knowing what everyone does about small sample sizes?

This isn’t debate club, you can just not like a prospect and other people can go ahead and like them.

There’s also more ways to contribute to an NHL team as a forward than just by scoring, which is why failed scoring wingers end up in the AHL rather than make it as bottom six forwards. Anderson is going to contribute more than just points and I, and apparently others, think he’ll score more than you think. Pistols at dawn! [This is not shade at AJ where I’m suggesting he’s a failed scoring winger, just to be clear.]

I’m a Devils fan who thinks this is good trade for both teams. I’m very big on Anderson because I think he’s very close to a very useful third liner. I’m very bummed to lose him, I’m guessing the Leafs may “win” this trade in the long run. Anderson’s scoring future may be hazy, I will not make up numbers, but he’s pretty much already an NHLer, I would loooved if it was, say, Kuokkanen instead. To each their own.

That said, the Devils need goal scorers, both EV and PP, starting in game one. The team love speed, they love Swedes, they love team guys, they love hard workers, Johnsson is right up their alley. He’s very cheap, in terms of salary this is really a 3 year/2.5m deal. He’s age appropriate. We have less cap space then you think because we only have 15 guys on the roster, aren’t spend to the ceiling obviously, have to sign to two RFAs and spend even more money on our Lovecraftian cosmic horror defense.

H.P. Lovejoy?

Reactions: Guttersniped

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
NJ, you're getting a good player, well liked by his teammates, and dedicated to getting better. He's worked hard to overcome some injuries. I don't think he's hit his ceiling, and I can see him score you some points with a creative C. Good kid, decent player. We had to drop someone, he was an obvious choice because of cap issues, not talent. Treat him well, I think you'll like him.

I've not seen Anderson play. From descriptions I've read I hope he fills out a bit more in the coming year/s as he's described as a tenacious worker. We can use that type of attitude on our team.

I'm satisfied with the trade. Good luck in NJ, Mango.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ, you're getting a good player, well liked by his teammates, and dedicated to getting better. He's worked hard to overcome some injuries. I don't think he's hit his ceiling, and I can see him score you some points with a creative C. Good kid, decent player. We had to drop someone, he was an obvious choice because of cap issues, not talent. Treat him well, I think you'll like him.

I've not seen Anderson play. From descriptions I've read I hope he fills out a bit more in the coming year/s as he's described as a tenacious worker. We can use that type of attitude on our team.

I'm satisfied with the trade. Good luck in NJ, Mango.

Anderson will bring a nice element to TOR. He will bring a no nonsense hard working approach and will play within a team concept. He is skilled enough to play with top six players if the chemistry is there. Not sure if he’s going to provide what Hyman can but maybe with time. He’s a good player to add to TOR’s lineup.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Good trade for both teams.....Many feel negative on Leaf's side is they traded the proven asset for the not so proven in Anderson.....For the Devils a guy who has been injured can he stay healthy....The contract made it so the Leaf's had to trade him and the devils had to give something with promise or upside......Both delivered this is a good trade....Joey Anderson is a leader and tenacious his forecheck and defensive play are already nhl level and combine that with more time and better offensive talent to play with he could very well make this trade an even swap except in cap dollars....from what Toronto fans say AJ was a fan favorite and his play seems to be as tenacious as well but he is NHL proven albeit with injuries so there's risk and reward on both sides once again making this a good trade.....Best thing about this trade these were two fan favorites where both sides are wishing both players well and that's another sign that this was a good trade.....Best of luck to Joey and Welcome AJ

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

A poster in here used production to compare the 2 players. I used production to show that with the opportunity he had, Anderson’s production has actually been pretty close to Johnsson’s, with more defensive usage and worse linemates. I then got attacked for using production to compare them :laugh: then later heckled because i gave up responding.

That said, the Devils need goal scorers, both EV and PP, starting in game one.

i think this is basically it. Devils need a body on the PP. Johnsson will put up 40-50pts if you pair him with elite skill and give him PP2 usage. So will a lot of other replacement level players, but at (like you said) his salary in a pandemic you can’t go wrong with that.

Leafs need more defensive players in the system that can PK, and even if he’s never someone you want in the top 6, he’s playing defensive minutes in the NHL at a young age.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That's what drove you to bump this thread?

Not only that but he's expected to be depth/bottom 6 er. His ppg just isn't all that important. Especially given he's produced well at this level prior. A Zach Hyman clone would be great. Useful depth guy would also be a good result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad