Confirmed Trade: [NJD/PIT] John Marino for Ty Smith and 2023 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Sorry for not wanting to be a total homer, I'd rather take a wait and see approach a little longer instead of beleiving he's God's chosen one after a couple games.
It’s not being a homer to say the player that has been objectively one of the best defensemen in the league has been incredible. Just stating the facts. Whether that’s what he’ll be, I don’t know. Good things happen sometimes.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Pens at least GMJR thought he would emerge into a top pairing RD in time. he didn't. He is at best of times a second pairing RD and some night not quite that. He can skate has skills and generally plays a solid game. Petry is a better RD and bring a better shot and more physical play.
In NJ he doesn't have to live up to those sort of expectations. It's funny because Smith was also seen to plateau in NJ similar to how PIT viewed Marino. If Marino can just play solid defense and move the puck decently he will be fine for what NJ expects. He might have to spend a season or two as a mid pair defender but NJ has Hamilton for offense and Nemec as the highly touted prospect who likely keeps Marino on the middle or bottom pairing. Marino's real job is to be Severson insurance assuming Severson wants to go UFA.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It was his best game on the season so far. That graph shows Ryan Graves did great today too, Is he a star?
Cmon, Smith would not be putting up 1/2 these #s and I liked Smith

In NJ he doesn't have to live up to those sort of expectations. It's funny because Smith was also seen to plateau in NJ similar to how PIT viewed Marino. If Marino can just play solid defense and move the puck decently he will be fine for what NJ expects. He might have to spend a season or two as a mid pair defender but NJ has Hamilton for offense and Nemec as the highly touted prospect who likely keeps Marino on the middle or bottom pairing. Marino's real job is to be Severson insurance assuming Severson wants to go UFA.
Its more if Fitz want's to move him

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It’s not being a homer to say the player that has been objectively one of the best defensemen in the league has been incredible. Just stating the facts. Whether that’s what he’ll be, I don’t know. Good things happen sometimes.

I don’t know the last time I saw someone say “just stating the facts” who wasn’t full of shit

You’re also arguing with someone who is being reasonable and taking a “let’s wait and see approach.” Which takes me back to my first sentence.

Anyways, I’ll be seeing myself out of this absolutely f***ing dumb conversation. Good luck with it

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Perhaps I'm just tired of getting hyped after so many UFA's and trades looking hot for awhile then turning into clumps of.....monkey stuff.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Perhaps I'm just tired of getting hyped after so many UFA's and trades looking hot for awhile then turning into clumps of.....monkey stuff.

Pens fans thought Marino was going to answer all of our problems, too.

Other dude is just the stereotypical HF shitposter.

Feels like it’s going to be a win/win. Smith has waiver eligibility, but looked good and has looked good in WBS. Also, the Pens always do great when they bring in “reclamation project” D.

I also hope Marino continues to play well. I still like the dude!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I mean, just look at the trade. Make a checklist of the qualities that Ty Smith has, and look to see if Vancouver or Ottawa have a player who fulfills those criteria.

You won't find that player on either team.

Great trade by Jersey, but they had the right asset to make it happen.
Rathbone from VAN maybe have enticed the offensively oriented Penguins club. Brannstrom for OTT…

I mean Branstrom and Rathbone are what I imagine Vancouver and Ottawa were offering. Not sure I see a huge disparity between those two and Smith
100% agree, I just mentioned both of them as we were both typing.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Rathbone from VAN maybe have enticed the offensively oriented Penguins club. Brannstrom for OTT…

100% agree, I just mentioned both of them as we were both typing.
As I mentioned above, both of those guys require waivers. Smith is currently in the AHL and the Pens still have PO Joseph because Smith doesn't require waivers. So it's basically Smith AND PO Joseph vs Rathbone/Brannstrom OR PO Joseph.

And that is ignoring the fact that Smith has had more success in the NHL than either guy. So, I stand by what I say - neither team had a comparable piece to offer. Waivers status clearly played a big role in this deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As I mentioned above, both of those guys require waivers. Smith is currently in the AHL and the Pens still have PO Joseph because Smith doesn't require waivers. So it's basically Smith AND PO Joseph vs Rathbone/Brannstrom OR PO Joseph.

And that is ignoring the fact that Smith has had more success in the NHL than either guy. So, I stand by what I say - neither team had a comparable piece to offer. Waivers status clearly played a big role in this deal.

I mean that’s likely what swung it for Jersey, but maybe Ottawa or Vancouver was offering more significant picks.

Either way glad Marino is working out. He’s always been an analytic darling. Not sure I agree much with the overvaluation that puts on him defensively. Seems like a stud transitionally and in the neutral zone but as soon as it goes below the circles he is a mess.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t know the last time I saw someone say “just stating the facts” who wasn’t full of shit

You’re also arguing with someone who is being reasonable and taking a “let’s wait and see approach.” Which takes me back to my first sentence.

Anyways, I’ll be seeing myself out of this absolutely f***ing dumb conversation. Good luck with it
The hell are you even talking about? I made zero declarative statements about what he actually is. Just that he’s playing at an extremely high level. Don’t much care what you or anyone has to say about it, it’s not like you’re actually watching the games. But yes, objectively, he’s been incredible.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Pens fans thought Marino was going to answer all of our problems, too.

Other dude is just the stereotypical HF shitposter.

Feels like it’s going to be a win/win. Smith has waiver eligibility, but looked good and has looked good in WBS. Also, the Pens always do great when they bring in “reclamation project” D.

I also hope Marino continues to play well. I still like the dude!
Inserting yourself into a conversation that you weren’t even a part of to say some stupid nonsense. Didn’t say anything at all about the trade. Didn’t say anything about how good Marino actually will end up being.

It “feels like a win/win” because of waiver eligibility is hilarious though. Talk about typical HF buffoonery. Enjoy Ty, sucks.

678603ED-3DCC-489A-AB60-5C7F0857C9B0.jpeg

Stereotypical HF shitposter ☝️

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

According to CapFriendly, Rathbone does not have to pass through waivers.

Agree with the point of Smith having had more NHL success than either guy though - particularly Rathbone, who only had 17 NHL games coming into this season compared to 114 for Smith.

Reactions: Gurglesons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's far too early for me to call this a win for us. Smith is really young with potential. Graves looked tremendous when he came over from Colorado and now is probably the second worst D man on the team just in front of Smith. Time is still needed

That said, Marino has looked tremendous. Couldn't ask any more of him to this point.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I have to say Marino has been our best Dman, better than Siegenthaler (I guess he's semi hurt though) and Hamilton. But it's been a very short sample size and Pens fans know this player way better. I just hope he can keep it up or at least not dip too much. No need to make this a pissing contest between fanbases and rub in others success or misfortunes. We have plenty of that in these forums already.

The Devils fanbase can be pretty passioned and straight shooting. They tell it like it is. When someone is performing they'll let you know, regardless if that might cause bitterness, jealousy, bad blood, resentment or whatever. And when players aren't doing good they get absolutely crucified. Personally I've always symphatized with these "rejects", scapegoats and underdogs, like Smith and Zacha. I'm one of the few on our board who was willing to give him one more chance, while most wanted him gone for nothing asap. So I'm very happy to hear Ty is doing good, I hope he gets a shot in the main team soon.

Reactions: Xirik

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
According to CapFriendly, Rathbone does not have to pass through waivers.

Agree with the point of Smith having had more NHL success than either guy though - particularly Rathbone, who only had 17 NHL games coming into this season compared to 114 for Smith.
My mistake on that front, thanks for correcting

Reactions: HBK27

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean Branstrom and Rathbone are what I imagine Vancouver and Ottawa were offering. Not sure I see a huge disparity between those two and Smith

Rathbone yes, but Brannstrom requires waivers and wouldn’t have been an appealing target.

NJ is the only team who both had the cap space to add Marino and also had a young waiver exempt defensemen the Penguins would want for Marino.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
The Devils fanbase can be pretty passioned and straight shooting. They tell it like it is. When someone is performing they'll let you know, regardless if that might cause bitterness, jealousy, bad blood, resentment or whatever. And when players aren't doing good they get absolutely crucified.

I feel like this accurately describes every fanbase and HF team community.

Reactions: ninetyeight

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have to say Marino has been our best Dman, better than Siegenthaler (I guess he's semi hurt though) and Hamilton. But it's been a very short sample size and Pens fans know this player way better. I just hope he can keep it up or at least not dip too much. No need to make this a pissing contest between fanbases and rub in others success or misfortunes. We have plenty of that in these forums already.

The Devils fanbase can be pretty passioned and straight shooting. They tell it like it is. When someone is performing they'll let you know, regardless if that might cause bitterness, jealousy, bad blood, resentment or whatever. And when players aren't doing good they get absolutely crucified. Personally I've always symphatized with these "rejects", scapegoats and underdogs, like Smith and Zacha. I'm one of the few on our board who was willing to give him one more chance, while most wanted him gone for nothing asap. So I'm very happy to hear Ty is doing good, I hope he gets a shot in the main team soon.

Marino at times looked like he could be a very good top 4 quality defensive defenseman who had some mobility/puck moving, but he also had times where he looked iffy defensively, was physically pushed around, and his offense dried up.

Maybe it's just the difficulties young defensemen have with consistency. Who knows? The problem with the Pens is he needed to be his "good" self way more than he was because he was anchoring that 2nd pairing and tasked with taking a lot of defensive responsibilities so Letang's burden could be lessened, but there were too many nights where that wasn't happening. And the Pens couldn't afford a $4 million third pairing guy who they could ease into the lineup.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Marino is excellent in transition, has been for years, don't have to worry about that being only 7 games. But he got manhandled physically in the playoffs the last couple years. NJ will be very happy with him because he'll help them get into the playoffs, which is their goal for now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Marino at times looked like he could be a very good top 4 quality defensive defenseman who had some mobility/puck moving, but he also had times where he looked iffy defensively, was physically pushed around, and his offense dried up.

Maybe it's just the difficulties young defensemen have with consistency. Who knows? The problem with the Pens is he needed to be his "good" self way more than he was because he was anchoring that 2nd pairing and tasked with taking a lot of defensive responsibilities so Letang's burden could be lessened, but there were too many nights where that wasn't happening. And the Pens couldn't afford a $4 million third pairing guy who they could ease into the lineup.

Yeah this deal made a ton of sense for Jersey because Hughes and Nemec likely come up in the next year or two and are on ELCs for three so they can afford to give a #4-5 4 mil.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad