Confirmed Trade: [NJD/PIT] John Marino for Ty Smith and 2023 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's far too early for me to call this a win for us. Smith is really young with potential. Graves looked tremendous when he came over from Colorado and now is probably the second worst D man on the team just in front of Smith. Time is still needed

That said, Marino has looked tremendous. Couldn't ask any more of him to this point.

To me its not. If Marino never plays another game for NJ, its a win.

Ty sucked the past 2 years in NJ and was trending backwards. He clearly needed a change of scenery, but i am not sure he will ever be anything regardless. He doesn't skate well enough.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It’s not being a homer to say the player that has been objectively one of the best defensemen in the league has been incredible. Just stating the facts. Whether that’s what he’ll be, I don’t know. Good things happen sometimes.
Lol did you just say he's been objectively one of the best defenseman in the league? Lol delusions.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To me its not. If Marino never plays another game for NJ, its a win.

Ty sucked the past 2 years in NJ and was trending backwards. He clearly needed a change of scenery, but i am not sure he will ever be anything regardless. He doesn't skate well enough.

Idk what happened in New Jersey, but this hasn't been the case at all in Pittsburgh. His skating looks very good, definitely not something that is a concern.

I did notice he sometimes has issues with playing the game seemingly too casually, but that isn't a skating issue. He's a very smooth player that moves around the ice effortlessly, but he also seems to sometimes get beat when he should be ramping up the pace. It's not a skating issue, it's more of a reacting issue.

The Penguins had an OFD in the past with the same issue, that was Derrick Pouliot. In Pouliot's case, he just never was able to react with the speeds needed at the NHL, so people always said he was a slow player and didn't have the speed for the NHL. He was a very good skater, he just couldn't process the game fast enough and ended up a bust because of it. Smith has a similar issue that will likely limit his upside, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as Pouliot's.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Marino is excellent in transition, has been for years, don't have to worry about that being only 7 games. But he got manhandled physically in the playoffs the last couple years. NJ will be very happy with him because he'll help them get into the playoffs, which is their goal for now.
I think he played pretty well against the rangers in the playoffs. Pens fans turned on him AFTER the trade was announced, but we’ve been doing that a lot over the last couple of years. We slobber all over a player until they leave, then they suck.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Lol give me a break bud. How hard do you have to convince yourself to believe this nonsense?
Not very hard at all because it’s literally just reality? You people think I’m saying this guy is elite when I’m literally just saying he is playing elite hockey right now. He is. Maybe you’re not getting the distinction.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A defenseman having an incredible game that is among the best games of all defensemen this year =/= he's one of the best defensemen in the game.

Pettersson-Petry had I believe the highest xGF% of any D pair before the Edmonton and Calgary games, but saying they were "one of the best pairs in hockey" would be an insane jump.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I have to say Marino has been our best Dman, better than Siegenthaler (I guess he's semi hurt though) and Hamilton. But it's been a very short sample size and Pens fans know this player way better. I just hope he can keep it up or at least not dip too much. No need to make this a pissing contest between fanbases and rub in others success or misfortunes. We have plenty of that in these forums already.

The Devils fanbase can be pretty passioned and straight shooting. They tell it like it is. When someone is performing they'll let you know, regardless if that might cause bitterness, jealousy, bad blood, resentment or whatever. And when players aren't doing good they get absolutely crucified. Personally I've always symphatized with these "rejects", scapegoats and underdogs, like Smith and Zacha. I'm one of the few on our board who was willing to give him one more chance, while most wanted him gone for nothing asap. So I'm very happy to hear Ty is doing good, I hope he gets a shot in the main team soon.
Don't make us sound to bad!:D

Our board rarely makes posts outside on the main boards so we seem to sometimes be a bit "snappy at each other. doesn't seem like anyone really gets mad or angry with each other as things get patched up soon afterwards.

Marino has looked good though, For the past long while only our defensively inept Dmen could contribute offensively and get assists. (butcher, Ty Smith, little bit Severson) So when a Dman can seemingly do both it really rocks our socks off.

I wish Ty and Zacha all the best and hope they find success elsewhere. I definitely don't hate them or want them banished from the league.

I feel like this accurately describes every fanbase and HF team community.
I won't name names but There are some HF team boards that are worse, Like the ones who are okay with wishing injury on opposing players.

Reactions: Riptide and Dialamo

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Idk what happened in New Jersey, but this hasn't been the case at all in Pittsburgh. His skating looks very good, definitely not something that is a concern.

I did notice he sometimes has issues with playing the game seemingly too casually, but that isn't a skating issue. He's a very smooth player that moves around the ice effortlessly, but he also seems to sometimes get beat when he should be ramping up the pace. It's not a skating issue, it's more of a reacting issue.

The Penguins had an OFD in the past with the same issue, that was Derrick Pouliot. In Pouliot's case, he just never was able to react with the speeds needed at the NHL, so people always said he was a slow player and didn't have the speed for the NHL. He was a very good skater, he just couldn't process the game fast enough and ended up a bust because of it. Smith has a similar issue that will likely limit his upside, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as Pouliot's.
Could be that but as Devils fans we seemed to think it was more that his edges/turning are bad which led him to be out of position a lot and leading to 2 on 1's

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Not very hard at all because it’s literally just reality? You people think I’m saying this guy is elite when I’m literally just saying he is playing elite hockey right now. He is. Maybe you’re not getting the distinction.
Marino could have, you know, a bad game or two, in the future and his score line will take a hit. Happens to everyone.

I see the trade as a win-win too, I’m just happy that Fitz pulled the trigger while Smith still had value from his ELC and waiver exemption. (And anyone saying Marino isn’t worth his contract in this market is nuts.)

I don’t see Smith as a bad skater at all but if Marino getting manhandled bothered you then Smith is not going to make you happy in that area. He gets shoved around like a child.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Marino could have, you know, a bad game or two, in the future and his score line will take a hit. Happens to everyone.

I see the trade as a win-win too, I’m just happy that Fitz pulled the trigger while Smith still had value from his ELC and waiver exemption. (And anyone saying Marino isn’t worth his contract in this market is nuts.)

I don’t see Smith as a bad skater at all but if Marino getting manhandled bothered you then Smith is not going to make you happy in that area. He gets shoved around like a child.

Smith costs 800k and is a # 6 in PIT Marino was a # 3 and cost 4 mil +.

Reactions: Riptide

Hockey Monstar

Oct 23, 2022
It's a classic win-win trade. The Penguins got a good young OFD and a roster spot to add Petry, while the Devils got great value on trading a struggling young player.

Smith's tearing it up in WBS waiting to get a chance in the NHL, it's a joke that he hasn't gotten it yet. He was terrific in the pre-season and has been terrific in WBS, the Penguins just don't want to lose Joseph for nothing. Joseph has been decent, so it's not that big of a deal, but Smith should be playing in the NHL.

Spoken like someone who doesn't pay attention to other teams.

Smith is in WBS right now solely because he's waiver exempt. He was great in the pre-season and the Penguins made it super clear they wanted to run with Smith-Rutta as the 3rd pair. But when they couldn't trade Joseph, they just sent Smith down instead of risking losing Joseph to waivers.
Thats gotta be tough if you're Ty; knowing you are waiver exempt because you are young but the team up above is up there in age and are contending right now

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I don't care about Petry. Doesn't factor into the equation of Smith + 3rd for Marino. All that matters to me is we traded one of the most infuriating Devils to watch (who, I admit, I was very high on when he was in junior) for arguably our best defenseman.

Adding him, Siegenthaler and Hamilton has completely transformed our blue line, and we have more on the way. Exciting time to be a Devils fan (finally, lol).

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

What happened here is that being a "good" skater isn't enough. This team is full of elite skaters and he couldn't keep up with the style this team wants to play.

That said, I've been guilty of calling him a bad skater, and maybe that is unfair. It's just that good looks like bad when compared to elite.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Basically this was covered pretty well by @Empoleon8771

Pens needed some changes on D and had to make some tough decisions. Marino was the easiest to move out and get something back allowing Petry and Rutta to come in. Both players and their style of play were needed. There should be some growing pains both ways as stepping into new teams on the D side usually has some getting used to.

Marino looked rock solid for us at times. Best of luck to him going forward.

Smith has looked really good in his short time here as well and at a pretty young age. I think we see him at some point this season making a solid impact but yes still extremely young for an NHL d-man. It was refreshing watching his skating and high level decision making this far. Maybe a change of scenery was what he needed

Reactions: Riptide

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Marino was always going to get a jump up in performance with the Devils. Their whole system relies upon defending the rush.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't care about Petry. Doesn't factor into the equation of Smith + 3rd for Marino. All that matters to me is we traded one of the most infuriating Devils to watch (who, I admit, I was very high on when he was in junior) for arguably our best defenseman.

Adding him, Siegenthaler and Hamilton has completely transformed our blue line, and we have more on the way. Exciting time to be a Devils fan (finally, lol).

I mean you can not care about Petry from a Devils perspective, but the entire trade was made by the Penguins in the context of the Petry trade.

Congrats if you want to say your team won the deal, but Penguins fans don’t care if they ”lost” this deal because this move wasn’t made in isolation.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I mean you can not care about Petry from a Devils perspective, but the entire trade was made by the Penguins in the context of the Petry trade.

Congrats if you want to say your team won the deal, but Penguins fans don’t care if they ”lost” this deal because this move wasn’t made in isolation.

We got the better player. I don’t really care if that means we “won” the deal or not, I just know the trade made the Devils better.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Marino is playing well for the Devils, so i guess the trade was a good one? I mean in a bad trade both teams would get a player that wouldnt perform well.

Marino has been very good i gotta admit. Best in the league? Nah but playing consistently on a very high level right now. Exactly what the Devils needed.

Reactions: Xirik

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think he played pretty well against the rangers in the playoffs. Pens fans turned on him AFTER the trade was announced, but we’ve been doing that a lot over the last couple of years. We slobber all over a player until they leave, then they suck.
I'm still a big fan tbh. He has his weaknesses but his strength (transition) is absolutely elite.

Reactions: Bone Density

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Sounds like you're just making stuff up to make Petry a whipping boy.

He has 4 points in 7 games while playing 20 minutes a night, having sparkling analytics, throwing a bunch of hits and blocking a lot of shots. Literally what do you expect from him if that is not sufficient?
Petry left Alberta a minus 4 and was the worst pens D by a mile. He penalties have cost Pittsburgh including an OT loss. He narrowly escaped mcdavid getting hurt which would have made him enemy#1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad