Confirmed Trade: [NJD/PIT] John Marino for Ty Smith and 2023 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Neat. I just find it hilarious how they have this amazing roster and they’ve done Jack shit.

Washington and PIT haven’t necessarily had amazing goaltending duos the last few years somehow they still make the playoffs.

Marino’s a solid D. Top defensive defenseman in the league because of a chart seems silly.

they havent had an "amazing roster" and they have gotten shit goaltending for like 2-3 straight years.

Last year they were a completely fine team, even above average, at 5 on 5. But they got league-worst goaltending and their PP was abhorrent.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
they havent had an "amazing roster" and they have gotten shit goaltending for like 2-3 straight years.

Last year they were a completely fine team, even above average, at 5 on 5. But they got league-worst goaltending and their PP was abhorrent.

The post I was responding to said they were “gifted two top defensive defensemen”.

Glad you guys have won a couple games.

They're tied for 2nd in the Conference.

They are 9th in the league in point percentage. Glad they finally are panning out.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The post I was responding to said they were “gifted two top defensive defensemen”.

Glad you guys have won a couple games.

Siegenthaler was by some metrics THE best defensive DMan in the league last year. At worst, top 5. And they got him for a 3rd round pick.

And the way Marino has played this year so far through 8 games, I don't know how he wont end up at the top of the rankings either. He has been stellar.

I don't get why that bothers you?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
It’s weird how a team with a bonafide superstar in Hughes and this amazing d-core is barely .500 with an easy ass schedule.

The D core will be amazing with the additions of Luke Hughes and Nemec.
They can compete now with any of the best teams in the league like they showed against the Avs tonight. You add those two young studs to the current defensive core, promote Brunette as HC and you will see this team play deep in late spring in the not too distant future.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The D core will be amazing with the additions of Luke Hughes and Nemec.
They can compete now with any of the best teams in the league like they showed against the Avs tonight. You add those two young studs to the current defensive core, promote Brunette as HC and you will see this team play deep in late spring in the not too distant future.

Yes the Avs team missing half of their top nine in October not giving a shit what a win.

• Haha
Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
I'm just extremely happy with Marino's play thus far. Kinda waiting for the other shoe the drop. Maybe the 3rd is a home run pick for the Pens or something. Not interested in the drama either. Ty is a good dude, wish him the best in Pitt.

Reactions: Forge

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yes the Avs team missing half of their top nine in October not giving a shit what a win.
Lando and Nuke is 2 players unless you count Helm as a top 9 player Lol.
They are missing 1//2 of their top 9? So .. 4.5 players ? Weird. That 0.5 player must be really hurt if he is only 1/2 there.
Palat is out for the Devils along with Holtz if you want to play that game.
And ya they dont care about winning because it’s October. So every good team just coasts , mot worrying about playing good or winning….

Pretty sure you are the poster that tried spinnping a false narrative about how Marino was an issue in the locker room and or not very coachable.
Seems to be ok to me so far??
It’s early I’m the season and Marino has already done more for the team in 8 games than Smith did in twoseasons .

For not wanting Marino on your team you sure do post a lot on the topic of him and his awesome play for the Devils?? Its odd.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm just extremely happy with Marino's play thus far. Kinda waiting for the other shoe the drop. Maybe the 3rd is a home run pick for the Pens or something. Not interested in the drama either. Ty is a good dude, wish him the best in Pitt.
Pretty much this. Don't need Marino to be the greatest defensive defenseman or whatever. Very happy with what I've seen so far and if it keeps up, I'm happy to have gotten him at the cost we did.

I've no doubt there will be some ups and downs. If he's a solid second pair that's perfectly sufficient

Reactions: Bone Density

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
Don’t let some resentful posters paint the entire pens fandom in a bad light, my experiences with them have been overwhelmingly positive over the years. This trade is one of the few win/win trades in recent memory. Pens get a high upside, great character guy in Ty Smith and the Devils get an older, more defensively responsible defenseman to fit their needs.

BOTH players are playing great hockey right now

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
and we are happy we never have to watch Ty Smith's slow ass again. Enjoy.
Pens fans loved Smith because he played well in training camp. He’s in the AHL now. The only way this trade could look any worse is if he’s promoted and plays terrible. Right now, there still a chance he won’t suck in the NHL. If that’s gone, chalk this up as a botched trade.

Pens fans have been chugging the kool aid, trying to pretend the trade wasn’t a disaster. We had to donate Marino to make room for another past his prime player.

Let’s not forget losing McCann in the expansion soon draft. Losing McCann and Marino for Smith is laughable. I liked Hextall a lot more when he was running Philly into the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: reino

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
NJ needed a two-way RHD way more. Marino being cost controlled for four years after this makes him pretty desirable. (Whoever thought he wasn’t worth 4.4m was nuts.)

If a younger, more offensive-minded LHD on a ELC is what the Pens needed, well they got that too.

This thread has taken a turn though lol.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I have to admit I was disappointed seeing Marino shipped out in the summer, mostly because of his age and he was “found money” in terms of how Pitt picked him up. But once they had decided on getting Petry, a pickup I’m still happy with, then I guess money had to move from the right side of the D somehow.

Still, in a vacuum, of the three ~4m Dmen that the Pens had last year, Marino was the last one I wanted to give up. He wasn’t spectacular most nights, just…steady. I was happy getting that from a 25 yr old for the next few years. I’m happy for him he is doing better for Jersey now, but I can’t help but wish he wasn’t moved in division, especially when his name was being floated in discussions for a top six forward from the likes of Vancouver. I grew up in an era of Devils dominance, I was in no mood to accelerate a rebuild for them :laugh:

reino

Jul 20, 2019
and we are happy we never have to watch Ty Smith's slow ass again. Enjoy.
Nobody is seeing him because Smith is riding the pine in the AHL. If Marino regains his rookie season offensive potential this could be the worst trade in Pens history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad