Confirmed Trade: [NJD/PIT] John Marino for Ty Smith and 2023 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Not that what I say or want matters, but my "Plan A" was to sign Rutta on the Sens, and my "Plan B" was to trade for Marino. Quite annoying that both are looking good. lol

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Look Pens fans, at least you guys didn't fail to sign him and have to trade him for 6th round draft pick b/c your general manager whose supposedly a good people person/has great reputation with agents/great at retaining players is actually the worst general manager in all of hockey and has flubbed it twice now between Marino and Blumel.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Devils got a nice little core, man. I remember when they won the lotto in 2019 I thought "you know what, good for them...they deserve something nice". Now I wish them harm and pain and misery. They've gotten too good too soon.
So it was you who cursed us to have no NHL backup goalie for two years! (crawford retiring, Benier breaking his hip)

Who are you a fan of so I can go Macbeth on you and curse your team!

:mad::witch::wwitch::wbrew:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils got a nice little core, man. I remember when they won the lotto in 2019 I thought "you know what, good for them...they deserve something nice". Now I wish them harm and pain and misery. They've gotten too good too soon.

I am not sure I agree with the "gotten too good too soon" thing, considering they have 1 playoff win in 10 years lol

but thanks for the sentiment!

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
As a Penguins fan, I understood this trade to be primarily a trade to make cap space for Petry.
I secondarily understood it to be a trade for an established NHL player for a project. The idea isn't that 22-year-old Ty Smith should be better than 25-year-old John Marino; the idea is that 25-year-old Ty Smith should be a better player than 25-year-old John Marino is now. But even if he isn't, the possibility was still worth taking the chance.

Reactions: Forge

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As a Penguins fan, I understood this trade to be primarily a trade to make cap space for Petry.
I secondarily understood it to be a trade for an established NHL player for a project. The idea isn't that 22-year-old Ty Smith should be better than 25-year-old John Marino; the idea is that 25-year-old Ty Smith should be a better player than 25-year-old John Marino is now. But even if he isn't, the possibility was still worth taking the chance.

I don't even think that's it. Obviously that would be ideal. But I think the idea is that if Smith even plays in the NHL this season, it's that Smith+Petry+3.025m in cap space is going to work out better for Pittsburgh then Marino+Matheson would. Honestly I like the look and feel of Pittsburgh's current blueline more then I liked the one that finished last season. And that's even with POJ playing over him despite whatever happened in training camp.

Maybe Marino would have taken a massive step forward this season and this season would have been the one where we finally saw him play closer to that of his rookie season. But at some point you need to give up on a "maybe" and go with someone who should have a little more certainty around him. And I say that as someone who hasn't done more then glance at Marino's base stats. If he's doing well, great for NJ (just as long as it doesn't impact PIT's PO chances LOL). But really I hope he does well. It'll be interesting to see how Smith plays out over the next year or so, as that's really when it'll get interesting with PITs blueline.

Reactions: Giskard

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

We're all fart and no shit for the time being. Let's see them make the playoffs before being considered good... lmao

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
I am not sure I agree with the "gotten too good too soon" thing, considering they have 1 playoff win in 10 years lol

but thanks for the sentiment!
Yeah, and being 4-3 isn't exactly indicative of being 'too good.' metrics be damned! Let's see ourselves securely in a playoff position before we get ahead of ourselves folks.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens got a promising LD who they like and decided Petry was more reliable as a second pairing D. Pens have to get through this year with no cap space but next year Smith will be up as the 3rd line LD.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Amazing feeling when your team goes from pitied to hated.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I remember being told by the Pens fans Marino struggled in the corners. I don’t know if his game has evolved or what but he’s a beast all over the ice.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I mean, just look at the trade. Make a checklist of the qualities that Ty Smith has, and look to see if Vancouver or Ottawa have a player who fulfills those criteria.

You won't find that player on either team.

Great trade by Jersey, but they had the right asset to make it happen.
Too often fans think trading away a player means he’s horrible and it’s time to pile on.

You’re right. Neither the Canucks or Sens had a player, or in the Sens case, we’re willing to move a player, who is the equivalent of a Ty Smith. A player who has a good 10 year career ahead of him… If you’re Pittsburgh, would you have taken Brannstrom over Smith? Absolutely not. He would be the closest thing the Sens would’ve offered.

Marino is just more of a finished product right now, and that’s what the Devils needed. He’s been pretty solid in the 3-4 games I’ve caught. Nothing special but exactly what they expected.

Anyone who thinks Ty Smith being sent to the AHL suddenly means he’s horrible or he’s a bust, is being very short-sighted. My only problem with the deal is, Hextall has a history of misjudging young dmen. So anytime he’s dealing one, or for one, that red flag goes up, but that’s personal.

In this case though, we’ve seen enough of Smith, we know what he brings to the table. His development is simply reps and strength at this point. He’s going to be a pretty decent NHL player.

The Devils just wanted to cash that in for a player who’s pretty decent now. Someone who settles their blue-line down some, and he seems to have done that.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Caps and Pens literally gifted the Devils two top defensive defensemen, Siegenthaler and Marino, both entering their prime, for a bag of peanuts. Can't overstate how signficantly rare that is.

This cannot be overstated.

Our ability to roll out Siegenthaler and Marino is huge. They are shutting everything down.

Too often fans think trading away a player means he’s horrible and it’s time to pile on.

You’re right. Neither the Canucks or Sens had a player, or in the Sens case, we’re willing to move a player, who is the equivalent of a Ty Smith. A player who has a good 10 year career ahead of him… If you’re Pittsburgh, would you have taken Brannstrom over Smith? Absolutely not. He would be the closest thing the Sens would’ve offered.

Marino is just more of a finished product right now, and that’s what the Devils needed. He’s been pretty solid in the 3-4 games I’ve caught. Nothing special but exactly what they expected.

Anyone who thinks Ty Smith being sent to the AHL suddenly means he’s horrible or he’s a bust, is being very short-sighted. My only problem with the deal is, Hextall has a history of misjudging young dmen. So anytime he’s dealing one, or for one, that red flag goes up, but that’s personal.

In this case though, we’ve seen enough of Smith, we know what he brings to the table. His development is simply reps and strength at this point. He’s going to be a pretty decent NHL player.

The Devils just wanted to cash that in for a player who’s pretty decent now. Someone who settles their blue-line down some, and he seems to have done that.

It's more than strength (which I agree, is poor), he needs a skating coach.

If he can't bring his skating up to NHL level, he'll never make it.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Caps and Pens literally gifted the Devils two top defensive defensemen, Siegenthaler and Marino, both entering their prime, for a bag of peanuts. Can't overstate how signficantly rare that is.
I guess. If Marino keeps it up then that means he’s playing more like he did in his rookie season which is great for New Jersey. In Pittsburgh that newfound motivation probably wasn’t going to happen since he had been declining since he signed his contract. Both his work physically and offensively kept declining and he’s not very good at killing penalties either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah this is spot on. New Jersey was the only team that could both offer a good young defensemen the Penguins would like while also being able to absorb all of Marino's salary. Maybe the Penguins could have gotten better for Marino had the cap not been stagnant, but it was the reality of the situation.

I remember being told by the Pens fans Marino struggled in the corners. I don’t know if his game has evolved or what but he’s a beast all over the ice.

I think his two biggest issues are his impact in the offensive zone and his ability to win battles with his size. But I don't think either of those are that particularly surprising, he's an undersized puck moving DFD.

Marino is great at what he's great at. He's a terrific puck mover with really good defensive instincts between positioning, stick work and hockey IQ. Penguins fans were unfairly harsh on him, but I don't think most would deny he was really good at what he was good at.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Guy has been tremendous. Easily our best DMan so far this year.

It’s weird how a team with a bonafide superstar in Hughes and this amazing d-core is barely .500 with an easy ass schedule.

They're 5-3. Thats not "barely above .500"

and their goalies were horrid in all 3 losses. They've dominated 5 on 5 in almost every single game this year, including tonight against the defending champs/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Guy has been tremendous. Easily our best DMan so far this year.

They're 5-3. Thats not "barely above .500"

and their goalies were horrid in all 3 losses. They've dominated 5 on 5 in almost every single game this year, including tonight against the defending champs/

Neat. I just find it hilarious how they have this amazing roster and they’ve done Jack shit.

Washington and PIT haven’t necessarily had amazing goaltending duos the last few years somehow they still make the playoffs.

Marino’s a solid D. Top defensive defenseman in the league because of a chart seems silly.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I guess. If Marino keeps it up then that means he’s playing more like he did in his rookie season which is great for New Jersey. In Pittsburgh that newfound motivation probably wasn’t going to happen since he had been declining since he signed his contract. Both his work physically and offensively kept declining and he’s not very good at killing penalties either.
He must’ve just learned a new skill. He carried the PK against the defending champions tonight.

Neat. I just find it hilarious how they have this amazing roster and they’ve done Jack shit.

Washington and PIT haven’t necessarily had amazing goaltending duos the last few years somehow they still make the playoffs.

Marino’s a solid D. Top defensive defenseman in the league because of a chart seems silly.
They’re winning games and mostly heavily outplaying their opponents. What are they supposed to be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad