NJD Lottery Fail- Magic/Elimination Number Thread

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Islanders losing out also causes Winnipeg and Buffalo to get another two points though, making it harder to pass them. That's why this whole thing is too ambitious to think of past the weekend, you literally need like fifteen different results to go the right way, or close enough since a lot of the teams in front of us play each other.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Islanders losing out also causes Winnipeg and Buffalo to get another two points though, making it harder to pass them. That's why this whole thing is too ambitious to think of past the weekend, you literally need like fifteen different results to go the right way, or close enough.

Ya but it wouldn't matter if we didn't pass the Jets in that case we we both could get in as long as we passed the Rags. Just listing it as another even more wild idea.

Reality is if we really want to see this happen we need Buffalo to win tomorrow and the Isles win Saturday along with us. That gets us to Sunday was some hope and we can go from there.

DevilChuk*

Islanders losing out also causes Winnipeg to get another two points though, making it harder to pass them. That's why this whole thing is too ambitious to think of past the weekend, you literally need like fifteen different results to go the right way, or close enough.

The only way this becomes realistic is if the Rangers lose tomorrow night and the Devils pick up 2 wins this weekend (ROW vs. the Rangers).

Then there's somewhat of a shot things work out, but we still would have to beat a Montreal team trying to lock up division and a Pittsburgh team who, luckily, probably won't have much to play for.

Rangers would have to lose to either the Canes or the Panthers.. also a difficulty here.. Jets would have to stop winning every single game, but they're the least of our worries.

I think at the very least, the last day of the season @ MSG will have playoffs on the line for the Rangers.. very small chance we'll be the ones on the other side of the door though.

DevilChuk*

Ya but it wouldn't matter if we didn't pass the Jets in that case we we both could get in as long as we passed the Rags. Just listing it as another even more wild idea.

Reality is if we really want to see this happen we need Buffalo to win tomorrow and the Isles win Saturday along with us. That gets us to Sunday was some hope and we can go from there.

Not really. If both we and the Jets pass the Rangers.. we can still lose out on the 8th spot to the Jets..

BOTH those things I listed above need to happen.. not either/or.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not really. If both we and the Jets pass the Rangers.. we can still lose out on the 8th spot to the Jets..

BOTH those things I listed above need to happen.. not either/or.

I meant that in the case of the Isles somehow losing out. If they lost out we would just have to pass the Rags. Granted the Isles are NOT losing out, but if somehow they did the Jets become irrelevant.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

The odds are so small that it's basically impossible, but yeah, we need major help from Buffalo and the Islanders. If those two games don't go our way, we're done. Even with good results in these games, the jets need to falter too.

How big do those two blown points / wins on that Florida trip look now? I mean they lost crucial points at other key times, but those two losses are easily the most regrettable. Their chances would be so much better right now had they just held on in those games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The odds are so small that it's basically impossible, but yeah, we need major help from Buffalo and the Islanders. If those two games don't go our way, we're done. Even with good results in these games, the jets need to falter too.

How big do those two blown points / wins on that Florida trip look now? I mean they lost crucial points at other key times, but those two losses are easily the most regrettable. Their chances would be so much better right now had they just held on in those games.

The weekend from hell for me. I went to both those games, and we hadn't won a game since. Last win was when Florida was in our building and Kovy got injured. Those two straight blown leads on the 6 on 5's on consecutive nights to the corpses down here in Florida were killer. Easy wins too, and I understand it happens once, but two nights in a row is uncalled for.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Oh not doubt, and it goes beyond just the two points left down there too as the team might of been more confident coming home from that trip and picked up points elsewhere as well. Fact is that is behind us and the season is not finished just yet.

I'd say Buffalo winning tomorrow HAS to go our way considering the trash the Rags have to play between our two meetings. Jets don't have an easy schedule to finish things out. Still getting both results our way leaves us with a tiny bit of wiggle room on the out of town scoreboard.

Jet's faltering isn't to out of this world though if you look at their schedule and remember they are the Jets. Home against a red hot Isles team. Then @Buffalo, then @Washington who is also red hot, then home against the Habs who might still be looking to lock up their division by then. Not impossible for the Jets to stumble and drop 3 out of those 4.

Rags are a much different story though. Between us they have @Florida and @Carolina, with a day off in between. That is asking for the damn moon for them to drop BOTH of those games. They are @Buffalo tomorrow. If they drop one tomorrow I can see them dropping one of the two games in the SE next week.

Of course it is still all up to us to string together a winning streak starting Saturday, but if the Rags lose tomorrow we have some definite life going into Saturday.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
2 of the three (NJ, NYR and WPG) could essentially make the playoffs with the Isles going 0-4..no? Key is NO overtime or shootout games for any of our competition...

Devils 52 points (5-0)
Rangers 52 Points (2-3) Losses to us twice and Buff

Isles 51 points (0-4)
Buffalo 50 points (3-1)
Jets 50 points (1-3) with only win against Isles

Holy hell couldnt we just win a game or two in the past 10...

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
2 of the three (NJ, NYR and WPG) could essentially make the playoffs with the Isles going 0-4..no? Key is NO overtime or shootout games for any of our competition...

Devils 52 points (5-0)
Rangers 52 Points (2-3) Losses to us twice and Buff

Isles 51 points (0-4)
Buffalo 50 points (3-1)
Jets 50 points (1-3) with only win against Isles

Holy hell couldnt we just win a game or two in the past 10...

Yes, but it is HIGHLY unlikely the Isles would lose out at this point, and that is essentially the harder way around. We need two teams to just choke. The Isles being one of those two is the least likely of the bunch.

All we can do right now is hope The Slugs can do us a solid tonight, we do our job Saturday so Sunday's game has some actual meaning to it. Then we go from there.

rs180216

Feb 9, 2008
Princeton Junction
Assuming we win all our remaining games, we need either Florida or Carolina to beat the Rangers and for the Jets to not do so well either.

If we lose to the Pens or MTL, we need the Rangers to lose to both Florida and Carolina.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If we lose to ANYONE (in regulation) it's over. We need the Rangers to lose 'every' game regardless including the trash in Florida and Carolina, the tragic number's two - as in the # of points we lose or they gain. Our tragic number is also two against Winnipeg if they win and three if they don't, but that's irrelevant if we can't pass the Rangers anyway.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Assuming we win all our remaining games, we need either Florida or Carolina to beat the Rangers and for the Jets to not do so well either.

If we lose to the Pens or MTL, we need the Rangers to lose to both Florida and Carolina.

If the Rangers beat Carolina or Florida in regulation or overtime the Devils season is over.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we lose to ANYONE (in regulation) it's over. We need the Rangers to lose 'every' game regardless including the trash in Florida and Carolina, the tragic number's two - as in the # of points we lose or they gain. Our tragic number is also two against Winnipeg if they win and three if they don't, but that's irrelevant if we can't pass the Rangers anyway.

We have a game in hand on the jets. The number is 3 with them.

Also the Rags can win one of those two games in a SO. 4 row wins by us would tie us and the Rags in points and ROW and apparently we would have the h2h tiebreaker.

If we win tomorrow that Florida game HAS to go to at least a SO.

DevilChuk*

Playoff scenarios:
1) Win out in regulation and Rangers get 2 only total points but can get those through a SO win
2) Win out not all in regulation and Rangers get only 1 more point
3) Go 3-0-1 (OT/SO loss not to Rangers) and Rangers get no more points

3-1 brings us to a tie but the Rangers ROW tiebreaker gets them in regardless of what they do

This also doesn't include Winnipeg, which complicates things a little bit as well. Basically, don't hold your breath.

DevilChuk*

We have a game in hand on the jets. The number is 3 with them.

Also the Rags can win one of those two games in a SO. 4 row wins by us would tie us and the Rags in points and ROW and apparently we would have the h2h tiebreaker.

If we win tomorrow that Florida game HAS to go to at least a SO.

We would have the H2H tiebreaker because we're assuming we win the next two of them.. right now, the season series is still up for grabs.

Will update this thread tonight after all games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The number is not four against the Jets.

They have 49 points with 3 GL plus the tiebreaker
We have 44 points with 4 GL without the tiebreaker

Like I said, it would have been two if they won today (which they didn't) and three since they didn't.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We would have the H2H tiebreaker because we're assuming we win the next two of them.. right now, the season series is still up for grabs.

Will update this thread tonight after all games.

Point being we do not need the Rags to lose out. There is one way for them to win one more game yet still get passed by us.

Win tomorrow.

DevilChuk*

The number is not four against the Jets.

They have 49 points with 3 GL plus the tiebreaker
We have 44 points with 4 GL without the tiebreaker

Like I said, two if they won today (which they didn't) and three since they didn't.

The number is three now. OP isn't updated yet.

I posted it was 4 but quickly edited once I realized that the game was over, wasn't paying attention ;)

DevilChuk*

Point being we do not need the Rags to lose out. There is one way for them to win one more game yet still get passed by us.

Win tomorrow.

I was the one who found out that way :p

I posted the only 3 scenarios above, that's basically it combined with Winnipeg not getting more than 3 points. We can no longer catch the Islanders so its Rangers or bust.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The number is three now. OP isn't updated yet.

I posted it was 4 but quickly edited once I realized that the game was over, wasn't paying attention ;)

You weren't fast enough lol

Playoff scenarios:
1) Win out in regulation and Rangers get 2 only total points but can get those through a SO win
2) Win out not all in regulation and Rangers get only 1 more point
3) Go 3-0-1 (OT/SO loss not to Rangers) and Rangers get no more points

That's a good summation of the Devils/Rangers part of the equation.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was the one who found out that way :p

I posted the only 3 scenarios above, that's basically it combined with Winnipeg not getting more than 3 points. We can no longer catch the Islanders so its Rangers or bust.

Rags and Jets or bust. Jets don't have an easy final 3 so there is a chance there. Rags is the near impossibility with the trash they have to play. Still weirder things have happened and we are still not dead.

Just win tomorrow then roll the dice next week.

DevilChuk*

You weren't fast enough lol

That's a good summation of the Devils/Rangers part of the equation.

Haha.. noone else noticed, not sure what you're talking about!

For the WPG part, just add to every scenario that WPG can't get more than 3 points. ROW don't matter with them.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If worst comes to worse for us I think these two guys could make a fantastic duo in some celebrity golf tournaments this Spring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad