NJD Lottery Fail- Magic/Elimination Number Thread

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's another problem, the Sabres started their tank a game early lol...but the Caps and Habs trying to win divisions won't be easy games.

Of course the opposite's true if you don't believe in the tooth fairy (our slim playoff chances) and want the Rangers out...that's a tough road for Winnipeg given the Rangers' own schedule.

DevilChuk*

If worst comes to worse for us I think these two guys could make a fantastic duo in some celebrity golf tournaments this Spring.

Why isn't Lundqvist wearing his protective golf shorts and chest protector?

God the guy looks so small without his pads. I don't blame him for wearing big pads though.. if the rules allow it, go for it. Rules are stupid though and I say this as a former goalie myself.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Why isn't Lundqvist wearing his protective golf shorts and chest protector?

God the guy looks so small without his pads. I don't blame him for wearing big pads though.. if the rules allow it, go for it. Rules are stupid though and I say this as a former goalie myself.

I'm a former goalie too and I also think they are absurdly large. Every goalie alive knows that "thigh rise" is a crock of ****, but we all took as much advantage from it as we could get away with.

apice3*

If you're watching because you truly want them to lose, you should stop watching.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
If you're watching because you truly want them to lose, you should stop watching.

I'm rooting for a better product going forward. Finishing 12th in the east doesn't do that and this outcome will become customary. Team needs a serious infusion of talent up front.

apice3*

Yeah, because drafting 10th instead of 8th is going to set this franchise back 15 years.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
All I know is, every game I watch, I'd rather watch a win than watch a loss. Therefore tanking is an alien concept to me.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
All I know is, every game I watch, I'd rather watch a win than watch a loss. Therefore tanking is an alien concept to me.

This. Even if they don't make the playoffs, I want to see the flashes of greatness that makes me hopeful for next season, such as this past game against Florida. it felt like Devils hockey again. It was a team effort, everyone doing their part, loving it at the same time. The feeling after a win like that beats any draft pick.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This. Even if they don't make the playoffs, I want to see the flashes of greatness that makes me hopeful for next season, such as this past game against Florida. it felt like Devils hockey again. It was a team effort, everyone doing their part, loving it at the same time. The feeling after a win like that beats any draft pick.

But they're playing against inferior competition, arguably 2 of the worst defensive teams in the league the past 2 games. Nothing has really changed. They are still sad sack offensively. That's what the eternal optimist fans refuse to acknowledge. I was nearly run out of here 2 weeks ago when I said they would lose 11 in a row based on the schedule and I ended up being 1 short. I know this team like the back of my hand. They need serious help up front.

DevilChuk*

But they're playing against inferior competition, arguably 2 of the worst defensive teams in the league the past 2 games. Nothing has really changed. They are still sad sack offensively. That's what the eternal optimist fans refuse to acknowledge. I was nearly run out of here 2 weeks ago when I said they would lose 11 in a row based on the schedule and I ended up being 1 short. I know this team like the back of my hand. They need serious help up front.

Why haven't you been hired yet as an NHL GM?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

A) We'll see tomorrow against the Rangers, if they play well in that game, that'll show that there's a little bite to this last week
B) We weren't even beating bad teams for much of the year anyway
C) Our record with Marty and Kovy is very good, we're just not deep enough this year

apice3*

Can you give me the upcoming lotto numbers or perhaps stock market tips?

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
That's a good question.

I'm pretty sure DevilChuk was being sarcastic.

I agree we need serious help offensively and we are missing Parise' presence big-time, we simply have no offensive depth if Kovy goes down. I just don't think any team comfortable with tanking ever has the mental makeup to push through adversity and do special things like last year's cup run. Any time you tank intentionally, it goes against the intangible parts of team building. Creating a championship team is more than just getting the requisite parts in there, it is getting the parts to work correctly together. Sometimes, that chemistry begins to be built up during "bad" seasons. Without 10-11, 11-12 would not have happened, even if the last half run meant we got the #4 pick via lottery instead of the #1. Kovy learned defense, Parise got hungry from his injury, and we were able to dump Langs.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I'm pretty sure DevilChuk was being sarcastic.

I agree we need serious help offensively and we are missing Parise' presence big-time, we simply have no offensive depth if Kovy goes down. I just don't think any team comfortable with tanking ever has the mental makeup to push through adversity and do special things like last year's cup run. Any time you tank intentionally, it goes against the intangible parts of team building. Creating a championship team is more than just getting the requisite parts in there, it is getting the parts to work correctly together. Sometimes, that chemistry begins to be built up during "bad" seasons. Without 10-11, 11-12 would not have happened, even if the last half run meant we got the #4 pick via lottery instead of the #1. Kovy learned defense, Parise got hungry from his injury, and we were able to dump Langs.

I think we have a spoiled, unrealistic fan base for the most part thinking that the logo and Lou will magically conjure championship run after championship run without a rebuild. That's really the issue at hand. Our top scorer and HOF goalie icon are at the end of their careers & need to be replaced ASAP. Meanwhile, we have other core pieces (Zajac & Clarkson) bumped up to roles they aren't designed for. I personally have no problem with another down season as long as I see some semblance of a youth movement occurring as opposed to Lou's bargain basement vet jamboree (please no Brian Gionta return either).

DevilChuk*

I think we have a spoiled, unrealistic fan base for the most part thinking that the logo and Lou will magically conjure championship run after championship run without a rebuild. That's really the issue at hand. Our top scorer and HOF goalie icon are at the end of their careers & need to be replaced ASAP. Meanwhile, we have other core pieces (Zajac & Clarkson) bumped up to roles they aren't designed for. I personally have no problem with another down season as long as I see some semblance of a youth movement occurring as opposed to Lou's bargain basement vet jamboree (please no Brian Gionta return either).

Teams don't have to rebuild to succeed. Just because some teams have been successful by being at the bottom of the league for multiple years in a row, doesn't mean that's what you need to do.

That still has nothing to do with not wanting to tank. If you want to watch a team lose on purpose under almost any circumstance, you shouldn't be watching sports. Because we watch.. to enjoy our team win.

You bashed the guy for being "hopeful" which is a tad ridiculous honestly. If you're not hopeful this team will be good in the near future, come back in a few years because you won't enjoy your time here while the team undoubtedly (to you) struggles.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's a youth movement? Bring up Tedenbust again, and other forward prospects who we really don't have?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
What's a youth movement? Bring up Tedenbust again, and other forward prospects who we really don't have?

Better than Steve Sullivan, Kosto, D'Agostini and some of these other retreads. It's comical yet tragic at the same time. We have to find and acquire other team's trash so as to lose, instead of testing & gauging our own prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00