NJD Lottery Fail- Magic/Elimination Number Thread

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
best case scenario besides making the playoffs(miracle at this point):
finish this season 2-4. beat the rangers twice. knock em out of the playoffs on the last day of the season. btw, does the lottery work differently this season? friend told me everybody has a shot at the #1 pick not sure if true or not.

DevilChuk*

best case scenario besides making the playoffs(miracle at this point):
finish this season 2-4. beat the rangers twice. knock em out of the playoffs on the last day of the season. btw, does the lottery work differently this season? friend told me everybody has a shot at the #1 pick not sure if true or not.

Read the OP.

% to win stays the same but now instead of moving up a maximum of 4 spots, you move up all the way to #1.

Basically, the last overall team went from a near 50% of getting 1st overall to just 25%.

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
Read the OP.

% to win stays the same but now instead of moving up a maximum of 4 spots, you move up all the way to #1.

Basically, the last overall team went from a near 50% of getting 1st overall to just 25%.
interesting. just for this season? would love to get nathan mackinnon of course.

DevilChuk*

Well, until the next time they change the rule, that is.

yea..

from now until the next CBA, though I think they'll keep it that way because it makes more sense and doesn't favor tanking as much.

DevilChuk*

Philly winning tonight is a win/win.

Keeps our extremely slim playoff chances alive and gets Philly past us as well :laugh:

DevilChuk*

Updating everything now except the Minnesota-Edmonton game.

Not a bad night for us..

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
It would be nice to spoil a Ranger playoff berth by winning both of the upcoming meetings.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My Zach grudge has cooled down, but after the way this season ended I think I would prefer the Rangers getting further than the Wild. At least until our team turns it around and gets back into the playoffs again which is hopefully next year.

The Wild going on a big run would be an absolute kick where it hurts after the way the season went for us.

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
My Zach grudge has cooled down, but after the way this season ended I think I would prefer the Rangers getting further than the Wild. At least until our team turns it around and gets back into the playoffs again which is hopefully next year.

The Wild going on a big run would be an absolute kick where it hurts after the way the season went for us.

Wild aren't going far this year, the west is far too tough and they aren't really ready for a cup run yet

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
Read the OP.

Love it, I'm sure it was dubbed The Edmonton Rule.

At #1 overall it's going to be hard to pass up Drouin. He's a consensus Top 5 and fills the team's biggest need.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
8th is the last hope.

5 games left for NJD and NYR, with 2 being head to head matchups. If we could, MIRACOUSLY, go 5-0 and NYR go say 1-4, we'd atleast be ahead of the Rangers at 52-50 us.

Than we would have to hope Buffalo and Winnipeg end poorly.

Not dead yet!!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Buffalo being ahead of us, and playing both the Rangers and Winnipeg makes the equation trickier. Not to mention Winnipeg being ahead of us. This ain't just a matter of catching the Rangers anymore. And the Rangers have cripples left on their schedule.

At this point I'm just hoping we don't get eliminated on Sunday. Or Saturday for that matter, though I'd even take that over the Sunday alternative. Keep the patient on life support until Monday then pull the plug.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
8th is the last hope.

5 games left for NJD and NYR, with 2 being head to head matchups. If we could, MIRACOUSLY, go 5-0 and NYR go say 1-4, we'd atleast be ahead of the Rangers at 52-50 us.

Than we would have to hope Buffalo and Winnipeg end poorly.

Not dead yet!!

Slight correction. We don't need Buffalo to end poorly. We have a game in hand on them and are also two points behind them. We can't win a tiebreaker with ANYONE, but we only need Buffalo to lose 1 more game for us to be able to control our destiny in passing them.

So for those looking at the miracle shot. We need to win our next 5 (and I believe we HAVE to beat the Rags in regulation twice, but correct me if I am wrong). Outside of the two against us the Rags need to lose 2 of their other 3, one can be in OT though they . The Jets need to lose 3 of their last 4, but they have a pretty tough last 4.

So to put it another way...The Rags HAVE to lose tomorrow to Buffalo in some way shape or form as asking them to lose 4 in a row starting Sunday is asking to much. They might drop 1 of the two between the Panthers and Canes...but they will not drop both.

It sounds weird but we need to root for Buffalo to go 2-2 over their last 4. Beat the Jets and Rags, lose to the Pens and Isles. In fact they can go 3-1, we still end up ahead of them if we win out.

Another way to look at it. The best we can do is 52 points. Jets and Rags are at 48. We will not have the tiebreaker so if just one of those two get 4 more points we are eliminated. Are elimination number not counting any more loses on our end is 4 points. Only reason we are even still talking about this is because we have two games left with the Rags. If we couldn't personally hand them two losses this would be impossible.

Last edited:

DevilChuk*

I'll be updating the playoff picture in a bit but basically:

Devils would need to go 5-0 with the Rangers going at best 1-3-1 (or 0-2-3) and the Jets going at best 1-2-1 (or 0-1-3).

Doesn't matter if we beat the Rangers twice in regulation or not as long as they still finish with that record (so we have to beat them at least once in regulation). If either the Rangers or Jets gain 4 points, we're out.

DevilChuk*

I'll be updating the playoff picture in a bit but basically:

Devils would need to go 5-0 with the Rangers going at best 1-3-1 (or 0-2-3) and the Jets going at best 1-2-1 (or 0-1-3).

Doesn't matter if we beat the Rangers twice in regulation or not as long as they still finish with that record (so we have to beat them at least once in regulation). If either the Rangers or Jets gain 4 points, we're out.

So I realized that technically, two Rangers wins of any sort would eliminate the Devils from the playoffs. Therefore, if the Rangers only get the one requisite ROW the Devils need to have a chance.. the Devils could actually tie them in ROW and win that tiebreaker due to the H2H points. So technically, the Rangers can hit a record of at best 1-2-2 and we'd still have a shot if all our wins are in regulation/overtime.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So I realized that technically, two Rangers wins of any sort would eliminate the Devils from the playoffs. Therefore, if the Rangers only get the one requisite ROW the Devils need to have a chance.. the Devils could actually tie them in ROW and win that tiebreaker due to the H2H points. So technically, the Rangers can hit a record of at best 1-2-2 and we'd still have a shot if all our wins are in regulation/overtime.

That would require us to get all ROW wins though, correct?

DevilChuk*

That would require us to get all ROW wins though, correct?

;)

will update WC/draft positioning after all tonight's games are up.

Devils elimination number down to 4 due to NYR/WPG win. Earliest possible elimination is Saturday.

Playoff outlook: need to go 5-0 while neither the Jets or Rangers pick up 4 points (with the caveat that the Rangers can pick up 4 points if we win out in regulation and they only win one in regulation and go either 1-2-2 or 2-3).

EDIT: Also, the Senators victory tonight guaranteed they finish above the Devils, so the Devils highest possible finish has become 7th. The Devils win tonight nearly eliminates Florida from passing them (1 point or tiebreaker), so the Devils lowest possible finish will likely start to see movement pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
;)

will update WC/draft positioning after all tonight's games are up.

Devils elimination number down to 4 due to NYR/WPG win. Earliest possible elimination is Saturday.

Playoff outlook: need to go 5-0 while neither the Jets or Rangers pick up 4 points (with the caveat that the Rangers can pick up 4 points if we win out in regulation and they only win one in regulation and go either 1-2-2 or 2-3).

EDIT: Also, the Senators victory tonight guaranteed they finish above the Devils, so the Devils highest possible finish has become 7th. The Devils win tonight nearly eliminates Florida from passing them (1 point or tiebreaker), so the Devils lowest possible finish will likely start to see movement pretty soon.

There is also the crazy scenario that if we won out and the Isles lose out we could sneak past them. They are at 51 right now. I mean it isn't going to happen, but might as well list that one too. :laugh:

DevilChuk*

There is also the crazy scenario that if we won out and the Isles lose out we could sneak past them. They are at 51 right now. I mean it isn't going to happen, but might as well list that one too. :laugh:

Yea, I haven't been listing that but could. Islanders need just one point to eliminate us though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad