NJD Lottery Fail- Magic/Elimination Number Thread

DevilChuk*

Better than Steve Sullivan, Kosto, D'Agostini and some of these other retreads. It's comical yet tragic at the same time. We have to find and acquire other team's trash so as to lose, instead of testing & gauging our own prospects.

Sullivan was brought here to fill the PPQB hole.
Kosto filled a hole on the 4th line.

Neither cost anything (7th?).

D'Agostini cost mid-round picks.. not a bad trade either.

There's a time to test and gauge your own prospects but not in the midst of a playoff battle in a 48 game season. You're making it like we were 20 games out of things at the trade deadline when it literally took a 10 game losing streak to knock us out of the playoffs.

This team is 11-2-3 when healthy. Yea, that's not always going to happen.. but it indicates that when healthy, they can compete. There are holes, there's a lack of depth.. but hardly need to blow things up and start over.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Better than Steve Sullivan, Kosto, D'Agostini and some of these other retreads. It's comical yet tragic at the same time. We have to find and acquire other team's trash so as to lose, instead of testing & gauging our own prospects.

We don't have forward prospects other than Boucher and Matteau who just turned pro. Tedenby is a bust, and guys like Hawffel and LOLberg aren't for the NHL.

What forward prospects do we have better than those guys? Kosto is a 4th liner, Sullivan was a band aid, and D'Agostini is BETTER than all of our prospect forwards that have been pro for more than a few months.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Besides Boucher and Matteau, Gavrus is too young and needs lots of development. Everyone else is a joke. Our forward core is already young to some extent with Henrique, Loktionov, and Josefson still able to improve. There is no youth movement waiting in the wings at forward.

Our youth movement is going to be at defense, with Urbom, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Scarlett hopefully all panning out. It's a special bunch right there.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
We don't have forward prospects other than Boucher and Matteau who just turned pro. Tedenby is a bust, and guys like Hawffel and LOLberg aren't for the NHL.

What forward prospects do we have better than those guys? Kosto is a 4th liner, Sullivan was a band aid, and D'Agostini is BETTER than all of our prospect forwards that have been pro for more than a few months.

Josefson and Tedenby (when he had recovered) both should have been up as opposed to the players Lou acquired, especially over Sullivan and Kosto. I'll take young and hungry everyday over "experienced" and "long-in-the-tooth." Once again Lou misjudged the talent on the team and suddenly was making moves from an incorrect perspective. :shakehead:shakehead Losing with young guys is more acceptable as opposed to shuffling the deck chairs of the Titanic, which was proven by the recent skid.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Josefson and Tedenby (when he had recovered) both should have been up as opposed to the players Lou acquired, especially over Sullivan and Kosto. I'll take young and hungry everyday over "experienced" and "long-in-the-tooth." Once again Lou misjudged the talent on the team and suddenly was making moves from an incorrect perspective. :shakehead:shakehead Losing with young guys is more acceptable as opposed to shuffling the deck chairs of the Titanic, which was proven by the recent skid.

Tedenby and Josefson were up, and they were not fitting and got sent down. Then Tedenby got his face cut open and Yayo got a concussion. Sort of hard to call them up then. Tedenby still can't play. Then Yayo needed to get his game back post-concussion and now he is back up with the big club. What are you complaining about? Lou signed/traded for the geezers because we had no other choice.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tedenby has over 100 games in the NHL. How many chances are we gonna give him? Lou misjudged the talent on the team? If anything Lou misjudged that Tedenby could replace Parise or Sykora. He won't work with the Devils. He was abysmal last year, and the 4 games up this year. Pete doesn't really have any confidence in him either.

DevilChuk*

Tedenby has over 100 games in the NHL. How many chances are we gonna give him?

He's shown he can be an effective player in the right system. Whether or not we make his on-ice environment match what he needs or whether that opportunity comes with another team.. he'll get another shot.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Tedenby has over 100 games in the NHL. How many chances are we gonna give him?

Daniel Briere did nothing for 100+ games when he started with Phoenix. Developing young players is an inexact science because of many variables (system, coach, line chemistry, confidence, etc.)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He just won't work with Pete.

I don't understand this youth movement thing on forward. Why don't we call up scabs from Albany like Hoeffel, and Sislo?:sarcasm:

If anything Joe Whitney should get a chance.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
So we should become the Edmonton Oilers?

Edmonton seems to "rebuild" without any sound plan. I would like to believe the devils wouldn't go down that route. There is no shame in transitioning over to some young players after being one of the oldest teams in the league over the last couple seasons. That's the natural, inevitable progression of a NHL roster.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Most of the reason our team is so old is because of our 80 year old goaltending tandem. It's skewed by how old our goaltenders are. If Marty had a 25 year old backup we might still be one of the oldest teams, but not the oldest.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Edmonton seems to "rebuild" without any sound plan. I would like to believe the devils wouldn't go down that route. There is no shame in transitioning over to some young players after being one of the oldest teams in the league over the last couple seasons. That's the natural, inevitable progression of a NHL roster.

That's fine, but our system isn't exactly overflowing with NHL ready talent, especially up front.

DevilChuk*

There is no shame in that. But there is a shame in doing that when the team you have could be competitive and you're mailing it in instead to get playing time for your prospects. Like it or not, we were easily a playoff team this year until a 10 game losing streak. Over an 82 game season, we probably make it.

You seem to saying we should just give up for a season or two and let our prospects play while our team isn't overall competitive.. you don't to abandon one to do the other though. You can actually try to compete while slowly working prospects into the line-up (see: Devils of the past two decades).

I still don't understand how this conversation started. You got upset that someone was "hopeful" that we would be competitive next year.. hell, even if you are sure we're a lottery team next year.. what's wrong with being "hopeful".. that's kind of what we as fans are supposed to do or we should stop watching, in all honesty.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There is no shame in that. But there is a shame in doing that when the team you have could be competitive and you're mailing it in instead to get playing time for your prospects. Like it or not, we were easily a playoff team this year until a 10 game losing streak. Over an 82 game season, we probably make it.

You seem to saying we should just give up for a season or two and let our prospects play while our team isn't overall competitive.. you don't to abandon one to do the other though. You can actually try to compete while slowly working prospects into the line-up (see: Devils of the past two decades).

I still don't understand how this conversation started. You got upset that someone was "hopeful" that we would be competitive next year.. hell, even if you are sure we're a lottery team next year.. what's wrong with being "hopeful".. that's kind of what we as fans are supposed to do or we should stop watching, in all honesty.

How is this even a conversation right now. You got it right chuk. It took a 10 game losing streak to knock us out of the top 8, and we still aren't eliminated with only 5 games left despite that.

Also last I checked the vast majority of this same lineup made the finals just last year. Also I don't recall Zach ****ing Parise or Petr ****ing Sykora carrying this team through the postseason either. So Lou should of just called all of Albany up and mailed it in when we were still in a playoff position? Are you kidding me? Lou still brought in two young forwards with more promise then all of Albany, and a vet that could of been that extra piece if the team wasn't so mind-****ed for two weeks.

Ya we are up to our eyeballs in promising defensive prospects that should/will get their chances next year. What forward youth are you even talking about? At the deadline Tedy's face was still slashed open and JJ was concussed. Who else would you like to have seen come up and play? The vulcan isn't eligible this year either.

All the age on this team is in net and on defense. We have tons of potential answers on D for the age problem. In net is a question mark, but not something that needs to be answered next season, and by the time it is a question it may be cleared up if Wedge works out. Most of our forwards are young or in their prime. Only old man is Elias, but he has gas still left in his tank. We are not as far off from last year's team as you want to put it, but if you are really so down on the team that you want them to tank for two years seriously just watch something else.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's another problem, the Sabres started their tank a game early lol...but the Caps and Habs trying to win divisions won't be easy games.

Of course the opposite's true if you don't believe in the tooth fairy (our slim playoff chances) and want the Rangers out...that's a tough road for Winnipeg given the Rangers' own schedule.

Ya they have, though not as shameless as the Panthers tank. Jesus.

Even with the tanking Slugs, the Jets schedule isn't easy and if we win out I think odds are better for us to end up in 9th. Problem is and has been the Rags. There schedule is damn cake. Basically just win tomorrow, and we can deal with the out of town crap next week.

Thing slightly forgotten is we also have a really tough final 4 games. We got a Habs team that will still be fighting for that division, and a Pitt team that ya, locked up the 1st seed, but will know damn will they can eliminate us. Their coaching staff will make sure the team knows they will want no part of a hot Devil's team in the 1st round and should kill us know while they have the chance.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
To be honest our draft has sucked so bad as of late whomever we pick will probably suck

Patience. We actually haven't been that bad drafting in the last few years. Even if our firsts haven't always panned out, we've gotten useful NHL players from each of the drafts since 2008, or have promising prospects from them.

DevilChuk*

now fully converted to lottery standings and associated magic numbers :(

tiebreakers still a little wonky because I want to consider the Devils lose each tiebreaker (as they likely will) but true magic numbers would consider worst case scenario which for the draft means they win each tiebreaker..

DevilChuk*

Updated for tomorrow.. Lots of games that will decide lots of the draft lottery for us tomorrow (our range can be come 8th-11th)

Mory Schneideur*

The good news is, next year we will address our problems. Hopefully Lou bring in an impact player and hopefully maybe 2 depth players. Marty seems strong as ever and doesn't show signs of slowing, we could see him play in some capacity til he's 45 no doubt. I for one think we have a bright crop of prospects and our recent ones are fantastic. Very bright future with Boucher, Urbom, Larsson, Matteau, Henrique, Josefson, etc. Hopefully one or both of Kinkaid and Wedgewood pan out.

We might have a year of suck or two, but the kids will be fine at the changing of the guard. With a few more years of Elias & Marty, we have great odds at another title.

DevilChuk*

Updating post now. Lots of lottery movement happened so our range is much more defined now.

Highest possible lottery finish: 6th
Lowest possible lottery finish: 13th

Last edited by a moderator:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The good news is, next year we will address our problems. Hopefully Lou bring in an impact player and hopefully maybe 2 depth players. Marty seems strong as ever and doesn't show signs of slowing, we could see him play in some capacity til he's 45 no doubt. I for one think we have a bright crop of prospects and our recent ones are fantastic. Very bright future with Boucher, Urbom, Larsson, Matteau, Henrique, Josefson, etc. Hopefully one or both of Kinkaid and Wedgewood pan out.

We might have a year of suck or two, but the kids will be fine at the changing of the guard. With a few more years of Elias & Marty, we have great odds at another title.

Again it depends on who leaves or stays via free agency on the amount of moves needed (if the three key guys stay only one really).

Said it before the Loki trade is a great trade more then just what we saw this year. Kid is young and talented, and has already shown skill in areas we were told he wasn't that great in (was billed as a playmaker...but his shot is very sweet). He can definitely become a 2nd line center. If JJ can become the 3rd line center some of us think he can, and with Zajac locked up we can move Henrique to wing giving one of the two top 6 wingers we need. Trade for another who can finish and play with Zajac and suddenly next year looks nothing like this year. We have a strong balanced team. Talent in the top 6. Grit and size in the bottom 6. Big third line of Zubs JJ and Clarkson. They can check and score.

Lou needs to make the right moves, but the pieces are there to have a nice bounce back season and give our old goalie one more run. Just needs to get it done. Free up space on defense, let the kids battle it out in camp and see if one or two catches on.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Updating post now. Lots of lottery movement happened so our range is much more defined now.

Highest possible lottery finish: 6th
Lowest possible lottery finish: 13th

I think it's 6-12, we can't pass Detroit if they lose out and we win out because of ROW.

DevilChuk*

I think it's 6-12, we can't pass Detroit if they lose out and we win out because of ROW.

Oy, forgot I haven't updated for WC tiebreakers at all. Been assuming a hard clinch so my numbers are off. In this case, since Detroit automatically won the tiebreaker, you are correct.

Going to update tiebreakers for WC teams that are in the draft lottery and can still be passed/pass us.

EDIT: done.. should all be good now. Only scenario tonight includes Edmonton losing to make the range 7-12

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad