Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Devils re-sign Kyle Palmieri (5 years, $4.65M AAV)

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Some comparables with 2016 goals and 2017 cap hits:

James Neal - 31 goals, 5M AAV
Brandon Saad - 31 goals, 6M AAV
Max Pacioretty - 30 goals, 4.5M AAV
Loui Eriksson - 30 goals, 6M AAV
Matt Duchene - 30 goals, 6M AAV
Kyle Palmieri - 30 goals, 4.65M AAV
Adam Henrique - 30 goals, 4M AAV
Jeff Skinner - 28 goals, 5.725 AAV
Daniel Sedin - 28 goals, 7M AAV
Derrick Brassard - 27 goals, 5M AAV
Jaromir Jagr - 27 goals, 5.5M AAV

Curious the only two on the list under $5M are both Devils.

Neal is a pretty good comparable as his contract bought out 3 UFA years too. He got 5M in 2012.. which would probably be a good bet to be close to 6M with today's cap. His UFA years were also valued even higher than what it appears as his contract bought out 3 RFA years (vs. 2 for Palmieri) as well.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
But he just got paid to be a perennial 30-goal man, and that's a reach.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dear all you perennial 30 goal scoring NHLers on the right side of age 30, rest assured you can expect to only make $4.65 per on the open market.

:popcorn:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't understand how people can dislike this deal. Saying oh but he's only hit 30 once is foolish because he just now started getting the ice time. He didn't get it in Anaheim. Had he he probably would've had a higher goal total than 14.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I'd wait until he scores 30 more than once before we label him a perennial 30 goal scorer.

Clearly you didn't read the thread. He was replying to a guy who claimed Palmieri was being paid as if he was a perennial 30 goal scorer. The guy you quoted was simply saying he is not being paid as a perennial 30 goal scorer.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This reminds of when Henrique signed his deal and the HF board braintrust said how horrible it was and that he shouldve got a bridge deal to prove himself.....LOL.

How anyone could look at the Palmieri deal as a questionable one is way beyond me. It is a sweetheart deal.

There were a grand total of 15 Right Wings that scored more than 25 goals this season. Doing a rough count I only see 26 RW in the entire league that scored more than 20 goals this season. It is not only a great deal, it is a great deal for a position that is a bit of rarity. Palmieri was the 6th in RW goal scoring this season.

Okposo never scored more than 27 goals in his career, had 22 last year and is getting paid 8M in real dollars next season with 6M cap hit. Yeah Palmieri's deal is pretty sweet.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Isn't this guy going to play with hall? Watch him hit 35-40.

Hope so. All the complaints I've heard about Hall were that he isn't a good shot creator or playmaker but he's a grinder who takes a lot of shots.

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri sounds like a first line that any team would have to respect.

Evergreen

I love this signing. I used to live out West and I watched the Ducks a lot. I always knew that Palmieri would fare really well on an Eastern Conference team. One of those situations where you feel like you were right all along.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
I think Palmieri will drop BIG TIME next year with the addition of Hall

Hall will get the prime time minutes on the first line while palmieri will see a reduced role as Hall will be the new #1 guy on offensive. plameri gets demoted a slot and now acts as "the sidekick"

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
Some comparables with 2016 goals and 2017 cap hits:

James Neal - 31 goals, 5M AAV
Brandon Saad - 31 goals, 6M AAV
Max Pacioretty - 30 goals, 4.5M AAV
Loui Eriksson - 30 goals, 6M AAV
Matt Duchene - 30 goals, 6M AAV
Kyle Palmieri - 30 goals, 4.65M AAV
Adam Henrique - 30 goals, 4M AAV
Jeff Skinner - 28 goals, 5.725 AAV
Daniel Sedin - 28 goals, 7M AAV
Derrick Brassard - 27 goals, 5M AAV
Jaromir Jagr - 27 goals, 5.5M AAV

Curious the only two on the list under $5M are both Devils.

The one contract that really stands out in a good way besides Palmieri's and Henrique's, is Neal. perennial 30+ goal scorer for 5 mill/year was a great signing at the time, and guess who made that deal....none other than Shero. He must be a master negotiator.

Then you look at the contracts he gave old ****s like Adams, Glass, Scuderi, although i blame that on his friendship with Bylsma and listening to him too much.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Hall will get the prime time minutes on the first line while palmieri will see a reduced role as Hall will be the new #1 guy on offensive. plameri gets demoted a slot and now acts as "the sidekick"

Hall is a LW and will not have a negative impact on Palms' production... What is this? Teams can't have two guys that produce offense, because we've lacked multiple players being good at that for a few years and have had to hear it from many a people. But now we have too many good forwards that one will drop?

Palms was also really good for our powerplay and a lot of Oilers fans have said that's not Hall's forte, so he's not replacing Palmieri there either.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Completely baseless. First of all, for all we know he might be on a line with Hall. Second, his ice time isn't gonna drop and he's gonna be "the guy" on the PP still. Hall is mediocre on the PP, Palmieri will be our primary weapon from the point again. There's no reason to expect a drop in production. Our offense has gotten much better (we were 30th last season), yet you expect a drop? Baseless.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

There was almost no difference in time in our top 2 lines last season - The differences were mainly PK

If you look at the ATOI for the Devils top 6, Palmieri was already the player with the fewest minutes because he wasn't used in many PK situations

Top 6 last year Cammalleri-Henrique-Stempniak til traded
Then, Lots of guys-Zajac-Palmieri

Zajac led all forwards with 19:51
Henrique was second with 19:50
Cammalleri 19:17
Stempniak 18:44
Palmieri 17:48

Hall as LW has zero to do with Palmieri as RW TOI...Nothing at all. I don't expect his minutes to drop at all in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see them up closer to 19 next season.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010

Hate to break it to ya...but Palmeri wasn't the main guy on the team last year haha

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Very good deal. comparable player to Reilly Smith who was more productive last year and he comes in at almost 500K less on the AAV.

Based on deals for Smith and Palmieri it will be interesting to see what type of deal Brayden Schenn gets.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

They play different positions. They will both be on the top line and they I'll both be on the top PP unit, so how again will he take prime mins from palmieri?

Whatever helps you sleep at night considering we ripped you off big time.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Or, he'll feast on inferior secondary players since Hall will be drawing all the major shutdown matchups.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Now we are saying having better quality teammates (Hall adquisition) will lower his point production? :help:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad