Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Devils re-sign Kyle Palmieri (5 years, $4.65M AAV)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love what Ray Shero is doing in NJ. A couple years ago they pretty much had old washed-up crap around Henrique and Zajac. Now with Hall, Palmieri, Zacha, DSP, Bennett, Blandisi on board, there's some serious youth and potential there.

They have some decent defensive defensemen too. They need a guy to replace Larsson, but give it a couple more years and I think this will be a legit roster.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Having watched him play, moreso in Anaheim than NJ, and looking at his numbers. When I have watched him he doesn't have a very good shot, he isn't tough, he isn't shifty and isn't a great passer.

There is nothing in his game that is impressive or indicates to me that he will be a decent scorer at the NHL level.

He doesn't have a vey good shot?! How did I miss this, unbelievable.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Awesome deal. The Blues say thank you very much. Schwartz' agent is probably trying to find Shero right now and kill him.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Just once I would love to make it through a HFBoards signing/trade thread without having to read the inevitable & trite "Absolute steal!" commentary...

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Awesome deal. The Blues say thank you very much. Schwartz' agent is probably trying to find Shero right now and kill him.

The guy is a sniper. Has a good shot for sure, and is money on the PP. Didn't get 30 goals by being a poor shooter.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Just once I would love to make it through a HFBoards signing/trade thread without having to read the inevitable & trite "Absolute steal!" commentary...

Unless it's about a Rangers signing right? ;)

But seriously i thought he'd get 5.5 million so it is a great deal for us.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I love what Ray Shero is doing in NJ. A couple years ago they pretty much had old washed-up crap around Henrique and Zajac. Now with Hall, Palmieri, Zacha, DSP, Bennett, Blandisi on board, there's some serious youth and potential there.

They have some decent defensive defensemen too. They need a guy to replace Larsson, but give it a couple more years and I think this will be a legit roster.

DSP is meh and Beau Bennett is injury prone garbage, but I do agree Shero has them finally moving in the right direction. Dont forget McLeod.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
DSP is meh and Beau Bennett is injury prone garbage, but I do agree Shero has them finally moving in the right direction. Dont forget McLeod.

I do agree DSP is being overrated by some Devils fans. He's a nice 4th liner if motivated but its more that they got a younger NHL who could still do something from a piece they lost all faith in. Bennett could have potential if he stayed healthy. Big IF but still its how optimistic fans do.

Still even those moves by Shero have little to no downside so you can't really hate them.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree with you, but they still at least have some potential. Better to take a chance on them than some of the players they used to have. I did forget about McLeod.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Unless it's about a Rangers signing right? ;)

But seriously i thought he'd get 5.5 million so it is a great deal for us.

It doesn't matter for me which team this is in reference to... Just tired of seeing the same rhetoric repeated ad nauseum in response to signings/trades with have wide-ranging details/circumstances.... I had considered Tavares' contract/cap hit to be a 'steal' for the performance/production he contributes - but in many other instances when a player signs a reasonable or fair contract, that doesn't rise to the "absolute steal!" commentary often proclaimed by excited, over-zealous fans... I mean it's not like these players and their agents sit down and said, "Hey let's negotiate a contract that will be widely considered an 'absolute steal' for the organization and below the reasonable 'going rate' or market value for players of this caliber!"...

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He's only had one season season that would warrant this type of contract but it's also the first time he hasn't been buried on a deep team, IMO, he isn't a flash in the pan... good signing - congrats.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
He's only had one season season that would warrant this type of contract but it's also the first time he hasn't been buried on a deep team, IMO, he isn't a flash in the pan... good signing - congrats.

I think people are really not realizing how much consistent 30 goal scorers go for.

I agree that without this past season, he'd likely be in the 3M range but if this past season was the only thing this contract was based on, it would be 6M+.

It's a very slight gamble by Shero that he doesn't regress to 10-15 goals. It's a pretty good deal if he regresses back to his career average based on his shooting % of 25 goals. It's a ****ing steal if he consistently hits 30+ goals. That's how i see it.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think people are really not realizing how much consistent 30 goal scorers go for.

I agree that without this past season, he'd likely be in the 3M range but if this past season was the only thing this contract was based on, it would be 6M+.

It's a very slight gamble by Shero that he doesn't regress to 10-15 goals. It's a pretty good deal if he regresses back to his career average based on his shooting % of 25 goals. It's a ****ing steal if he consistently hits 30+ goals. That's how i see it.

Well just don't try to trade him to us to get Larsson back because I guess that's what 30g wingers are worth. ;) :laugh:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Well just don't try to trade him to us to get Larsson back because I guess that's what 30g wingers are worth. ;) :laugh:

i want Lars back so badly :(

i do that trade every day but Larsson is ****ing awesome. Gonna miss him. Small part of me hopes he bombs and comes back soon.. but that won't happen. He's a stud.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks to Shero for signing this deal. Should be a solid comparable for Hoffman with Ottawa. Hoffman is more proven so he's stand to make more but probably not a ton more.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

i do that trade every day but Larsson is ****ing awesome. Gonna miss him. Small part of me hopes he bombs and comes back soon.. but that won't happen. He's a stud.

Come on... you don't want him to bomb. If he bombs, all of the Oiler posters are going to be posting more proposals for all of your D. I know you don't want that! :)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The reason the Ducks traded him in the first place is Murray said he knew what type of player Napalm could become and anticipated they would not have the $$$ to poney up for his next contact.
They guy is good at the hockey and signed for probably 500,000 -1 mil less per year than anticipated or expected for this caliber of player IMO :help:

Not sure why some people get all upset and cannot admit the Devils got a very very decent/ good RW signed to a very good contract ? Not saying he is a game breaking all star RW , but the guy has a good motor , good hockey iq , good shot , tries his butt off every night , local kid , and can put up decent numbers ??? It's not like his goals were a lot of PP freebies or empty netters (1 I believe ) , I think it's not s stretch to say he will be a consistent 25 goal scorer his career and to me that's a bargain at this price.

bbcelite

Oct 11, 2009
Bavaria
Congrats NJ great contract. Hating to say this, but the devils heading in the right direction. It´s never wrong to sign your leading scorer long term. They will get better and better each year.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com

I am not meaning to derail the thread, but do you figure the Devils would have an interest in Kevin Shattenkirk. For some reason I got it in my head that a Shattenkirk + Sobotka(if he is every coming back) or perhaps Schwartz deal for Palmieri + could be interesting for both teams.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I am not meaning to derail the thread, but do you figure the Devils would have an interest in Kevin Shattenkirk. For some reason I got it in my head that a Shattenkirk + Sobotka(if he is every coming back) or perhaps Schwartz deal for Palmieri + could be interesting for both teams.

Palmieri is going nowhere - a team starved for goal scoring isn't going to trade their top goal scorer unless it is a massive overpayment in return.

But Devils are definitely interested in Shattenkirk. Palmieri and Shattenkirk are good buddies, so if the price isn't right for Shero via trade, I'd assume he'd just hope Palmieri could do some convincing to his friend and maybe Shattenkirk would sign in NJ as a UFA.

Shattenkirk has made it clear he wants to sign somewhere in the Northeast.

So options for him include BOS, NYR, NYI, NJD, PHI. And of those teams, PHI and NJD seem to be on the rise, while BOS seems to just be floating around, and NYR and NYI are on a steep decline.
NJD and PHI would make the most sense for Shattenkirk, and NJD more so because of their tremendous cap situation. Both NJD and PHI could really use Shattenkirk as their top RHD. Who knows though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad