Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Devils re-sign Kyle Palmieri (5 years, $4.65M AAV)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's a good player. I'm happy for him he's got a better opportunity in New Jersey than he had in Anaheim - but a big part of that is just that New Jersey is a much thinner team at forward and somebody has to score some goals. I call it the "Calder/Bell/Arnason" effect.

But he just got paid to be a perennial 30-goal man, and that's a reach.

If he does it, Devils got a great bargain.

If he goes back to being a 15/15 guy, that contract is not going to look so hot in a few years.

He produced at the same rate he did in Anaheim, and perennial 30 goal guys make a lot more than this, roughly 50% more.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
How could Palmieri possibly go back to being a 15/15 guy if he has always produced at the same p/60 pace but got more ice time this year and responded accordingly?

This year he'll have better linemates too.

Either people don't watch him or are just stat watching from years where his role was entirely different. His last year in Anahiem on a 82 game pace he was a 20-20 guy with 3rd line minutes. Same with 3 years ago.

How can people possibly think he's going to regress by 15 goals?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No number in my head but I certainly have a concern about a guy with a previous high of 14 goals jumping up to 30 and his ability to repeat that total again.

Are you willfully ignoring the fact that he was buried on a deep team and in a complete different conference with a different style of play? Change of scenery does wonders

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
These contracts are insane. 25-30 goal scorers valued like they are star quarterbacks.

The "star quarterbacks" of the nhl are making twice as much money as palmieri just got on his new contract. What the **** are you talking about?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
He's a good player. I'm happy for him he's got a better opportunity in New Jersey than he had in Anaheim - but a big part of that is just that New Jersey is a much thinner team at forward and somebody has to score some goals. I call it the "Calder/Bell/Arnason" effect.

If he goes back to being a 15/15 guy, that contract is not going to look so hot in a few years.

i can't disagree with that statement. that being said, considering the lack of quality on our team, since our top line is improved, one could say that there is a good chance of him getting more opportunities to score goals.

regarding your calder/bell/arnason effect, IF palmieri was a 30g/14a type guy, then maybe his stats suffer. however, his points last season were 30g/27a, so even if he doesn't score as much, i would expect his assists to rise.

going from 30/27 to 15/15 is extreme in my opinion, and if he did drop in terms of performance, then yes, the contract will look less and less valuable, and thats a given for any player. but we'll just have to wait and see

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Great value for KP, if all goes to plan this contract is only going to look better in 3 years. However his contract after that...

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Solid fair-market deal...basically the same as Trocheck's and they are comparable as two talented younger players who blossomed offensively last year, far beyond what they had produced in the past but not out of line with their abilities and importance to their teams.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I hope at least one of you guys arguing that Palmieri is getting paid perennial 30 goal scorer money is Nikita Kucherov's agent. The cap might not kill us after all. :biglaugh:

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
So 30-goal scorer money actually isn't easy to pin down, since there are so few of them... and most that hit 30 goals are bringing a lot more to the table than the goals. Can't really use Malkin as a comp, you know? Where are the Ray Shepperds of the world anymore?

Maybe it's more like the $6m to Sharp.

In that case, if Palmieri can be a 25/20 guy, you've still got good value.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

These two back-to-back sentences absolutely contradict each other.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
Solid deal!
Kpalm was a warrior last season, he has a great shot, good onetimer, good along the boards and isn`t afraid to get into the dirty areas and on top of that he has an awesome work ethic, very sneaky player.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

He's not going back to 15-15 a year. He finally got his chance not being stuck behind the guys he was in Anaheim. He'll continue getting top 6 mins and at the very least he's a 25-30 goal and 25-30 assists guy, he'll continue to get first PP unit time. If you're a ducks fan I think you're trying to justify the fact we stole him from you. It's a great deal for him and the team.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
That's a wonderful contract, thought he would get at least 5m/per year. Doubtful about his ability to reach 30 again despite his great shot. 22-28 goals is likely a realistic scenario. We'll see. The offense looks better than it did last year so he might even have more points in '16-17.

I'm definitely not surprised about all the hate around here. It's on HF and it's a thread about something related to the Devils, was expected.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
So 30-goal scorer money actually isn't easy to pin down, since there are so few of them... and most that hit 30 goals are bringing a lot more to the table than the goals. Can't really use Malkin as a comp, you know? Where are the Ray Shepperds of the world anymore?

Maybe it's more like the $6m to Sharp.

In that case, if Palmieri can be a 25/20 guy, you've still got good value.

That's the thing, he's not really being paid to hit 30 goals every year. He would be getting 6-7M if that was the case, Sharp isn't even really a good comparable as it was signed under a very different cap/CBA.

If Palmieri can hit 20 goals a season, this contract is a fair deal. His career shooting percentage and shots taken predict about 25 goals a season (and I'd argue his true shooting percentage will be a little closer to last year's as a result of more PP time = more high % chances).. so 25 goals a season would make this contract a good value.

If he hits 30 consistently, it will be a ****ing steal.

Great signing by Shero. I thought it would be between 5M-5.5M to somewhat compensate for the chances he hits 30 goals again.. so this is awesome.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Devils have a steal here.

[MOD]. Palmieri was producing at elite ES scoring rates when he was with Anaheim, but he was playing the third line and given middling PP minutes.

I wouldn't claim he's a consistent 30-goal scorer from here on out, but 25/25 is a good expectation. And $4.6MM for that with upside is a steal.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The fact that we got a David Clarkson comparison in this thread says it all lol. Their only similarities are that they are RWs who wore a Devils jersey. Palmieri is a much better skater, carries the puck so much better, can actually pass, and has a significantly better shot.

I don't have a shred of doubt that he'll be at least a 25-25 guy.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Anyone crapping on the Palmieri deal...look what Mathieu Perreault just got.

It's not exactly comparable as Palmieri's deal is 2 years of RFA and 3 years of UFA. Perreault is all4 years of UFA.

But still, Perrault is more like a 15-20 goal scorer other than this past year and he got a little over 4M. I think it supports the fact that a 30 goal scorer would be paid around 6M+ for their UFA years, which isn't happening with Palmieri.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Good contract if he plays like he did last season.

If he plays like he did last season, it's one of the better contracts in the league lol.

People really don't realize how few 30 goal scorers there are in the NHL and how much they are typically paid. It's not less than 5M.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Some comparables with 2016 goals and 2017 cap hits:

James Neal - 31 goals, 5M AAV
Brandon Saad - 31 goals, 6M AAV
Max Pacioretty - 30 goals, 4.5M AAV
Loui Eriksson - 30 goals, 6M AAV
Matt Duchene - 30 goals, 6M AAV
Kyle Palmieri - 30 goals, 4.65M AAV
Adam Henrique - 30 goals, 4M AAV
Jeff Skinner - 28 goals, 5.725 AAV
Daniel Sedin - 28 goals, 7M AAV
Derrick Brassard - 27 goals, 5M AAV
Jaromir Jagr - 27 goals, 5.5M AAV

Curious the only two on the list under $5M are both Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad