Waived: [NJD] Devils place Cory Schneider on waivers (cleared)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
NJ fans, would you reconsider the Anderson + Bobby Ryan for Schneider proposal now?

No.

Devils would be acquiring an additional $7MM+ in actual salary still owed to Anderson & Ryan versus Schneider.

I guess a buyout of Ryan would be slightly less ($1.83MM per year over 4 years versus $2.0MM over 4 years for Schneider), but that's just not worth paying out all that additional money for two players that look as shot as Schneider.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
"Cory Schneider a home run" Said by a certain TV personalty during the 2013 NHL draft when the Canucks (only) got what the 9th overall pick for him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Safe to say now that Vancouver won the trade?
Regardless, Schneider was a decent goalie in the first few years of his career with Vancouver and New Jersey but he’s fallen off a cliff due to injuries

upload_2019-11-18_12-50-40-png.279229

He was far more than "decent".

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
nothing to dislike about this guy, he was a real good goalie but hip injuries are pretty much the worst thing you can get as a goalie. The Devils had the worst roster in the league for a few years there and I thank Corey for keeping the Devils afloat during the McDavid and Matthews draft years

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Safe to say now that Vancouver won the trade?
Regardless, Schneider was a decent goalie in the first few years of his career with Vancouver and New Jersey but he’s fallen off a cliff due to injuries

Nah not really. Cory was the Devils best player for years. Horvat became a good player and captain but the Canucks were horrible for a long time and had horrible goaltending. And this trade was made in 2013. And have the Canucks really found a long term starter? Demko might be it but we still don't know. And its not like Horvat is some superstar.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Tough to see but absolutely needed to be done. Cory has always been a stand up guy and I was very optimistic that he'd bounce back, given his strong finish to 2019 and excellent pre-season. But he just isn't NHL caliber right now.

Reactions: thethinglonger

varano

Jun 27, 2013
"Cory Schneider a home run" Said by a certain TV personalty during the 2013 NHL draft when the Canucks (only) got what the 9th overall pick for him.
He was very good for maybe 5-6 years or so.... Injuries derailed him

Reactions: Dialamo

Phil Brooks

Jun 26, 2019
Chicago, IL
Nah not really. Cory was the Devils best player for years. Horvat became a good player and captain but the Canucks were horrible for a long time and had horrible goaltending. And this trade was made in 2013. And have the Canucks really found a long term starter? Demko might be it but we still don't know. And its not like Horvat is some superstar.
It should've been a good trade for both sides, with Cory being the successor to Brodeur, and arguably, a top 5 goalie in the league. Maybe, had Kovalchuk stuck around, it might've been a different story. We still had Luongo at the time and who knew he would still want out after Schneider was traded.

At the time of the trade, I would've said the Devils won the trade as you never know how 9th overall picks would pan out and Cory was just hitting his prime years.

We would've wasted all Cory's good years since we were in no position to compete, but now we have a solid piece to build around for the next little while. I wouldn't say either team lost the trade, it's just circumstances, injuries, and Horvat's development has swung the trade in favour of the Canucks.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
It will be a shame if Schneider's NHL career comes to an end only a few months after Luongo's.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
At least the contract is easy to buy out, unlike some of those SB-heavy contracts.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He gave the Devils championship quality goaltending for years. It’s unfortunate he peeked early and never had a quality team in front of him during that span though.

I still can’t believe it came to this. I was expecting him to put it back together awhile ago but it just never happened. I’m not sure if it’s his injuries or if it’s just mental, he’s not who he used to be.

Reactions: HBK27 and Dialamo

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Canucks haven’t had horrible goaltending since before Luongo joined the team. Miller and Markstrom were at least okay for the team despite an atrocious defence and Markstrom was great last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad