Waived: [NJD] Devils place Cory Schneider on waivers (cleared)

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Man I remember how arrogant Devils fans were during the great Holtby vs Schneider debates. Its funny how one has a Cup to his name and the other has two total playoff wins and has now played his way out of the league.
There's another big name goalie from the past ~15 years that a certain fanbase was quite arrogant about who never has and never will win a cup. There's even a chance he was never what one would describe as humble.

I can't quite recall his name at the moment. Perhaps you can help a brother out?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
It must feel great to take pleasure in another (decent) person's misfortune which was no fault of his own.
Where am i taking pleasure snowflake? I pointed out that the devils were never competitive with him and without him they would have had a 9th overall in their depth pool and possibly some other higher up draft picks. If facts are hard for you to handle stay off the internet.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Canucks wasted some of his career, he was ready to be an NHL starter I'd say by 2008-09.

Think if the Devils bought him out he'd sign elsewhere as a back-up.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What happened to him? Injuries?

Seems like he went from a Vezina contender to barely a starter in less than a year. Now he's not even NHL caliber? Yikes.

I wonder if he'll get bought out and get a chance with another team. He's only 33 and doesn't have a huge amount of wear-and-tear on his body.
Hip injury and I don't think he'll ever have a good season again, unless he hits a random hot streak and only plays 20 games or something.

I argued that he should have been bought out after last year, but it would have meant 6 years of a $2 million dollar dead cap hit. We buy him out after this year (and I think we will this time, unless it's LTIRement) and it's still $2 million a year for 4 years, but that's not so bad.

I don't think he'll get a chance with a new team after this. I think if he were bought out after last year, he probably would have been signed to a one year deal for $1 million to be a backup somewhere, based on what he used to be.

But now he'll be 4 years into a decline after this year, and hasn't had a good season in his 30's (barring a miraculous turnaround this year, upon recall) and will turn 35 before the end of next season, so I think he's done in the league after this year. Either way, be it via means of buyout or permanent IR.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The JT part is for JT Miller and he's been gone for over 2 years now and haven't even given it a second of thought until now. I feel like once your known by your user and it is established you're stuck with it.

Kinda like if you made an AOL screen name in 5th grade and it was sk8erguy6969 or for a girl cupcakequeenz you were stuck with it all the way through high school
Dude I'm bustin that's all! Yeah I knew it was Miller, kinda surprised they ever moved him btw!

Last edited:
Reactions: JT Kreider

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
upload_2019-11-18_12-50-40-png.279229

He was far more than "decent".
And those were some horrible devils teams that he posted those numbers on.

Reactions: thethinglonger

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And those were some horrible devils teams that he posted those numbers on.

Devils still missed the playoffs those 3 years.

Schneider acquisition resulted in the Devils ending up with Zacha and McLeod instead of better prospects, had they finished lower in the standings with worse goaltending.

Horrible trade for the Devils.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wow, times have certainly changed
It's crazy that at the time a measly 9th overall pick (Horvat) was a cheap price to pry away Vancouver's promising young goalie.

Phil Brooks

Jun 26, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think it's unfair to say it was a bad trade for the Devils. A 27 y/o Schneider that's played < 100 games in his career at that point with no significant injury history, one would've thought he'd still have a lot of mileage left and be going strong today but unfortunately, got derailed by injuries. No one could've predicted this.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
"Cory Schneider a home run" Said by a certain TV personalty during the 2013 NHL draft when the Canucks (only) got what the 9th overall pick for him.

not really sure what the point of this post was?

Cory Schneider was an elite goalie for the Devils for a good 3+ years. It isn't really his fault that his body failed him. I'm suuuure that the Canucks knew that he would have all these injuries when they traded him...

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Schneider acquisition resulted in the Devils ending up with Zacha and McLeod instead of better prospects, had they finished lower in the standings with worse goaltending.

It was a fine trade in a vacuum. But Lou was really losing it towards the end there and had no awareness and a horrible read on where the Devils were. This really just delayed the inevitable, due to horrible drafting and personnel decisions the talent was barren and the Devils were on the verge of needing a full overhaul and rebuild. Just delusional to think trading a top 10 pick for a goalie was what the franchise needed at that point in time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He gave the Devils championship quality goaltending for years. It’s unfortunate he peeked early and never had a quality team in front of him during that span though.

I still can’t believe it came to this. I was expecting him to put it back together awhile ago but it just never happened. I’m not sure if it’s his injuries or if it’s just mental, he’s not who he used to be.

I'm glad that other fans can see this because there are a lot of Devils fans on our board who refuse to acknowledge this.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

But now we have Zacha for depth (maybe McLeod one day too) and Hughes and Hischier. Everything is as it should be.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Canucks wasted some of his career, he was ready to be an NHL starter I'd say by 2008-09.

Think if the Devils bought him out he'd sign elsewhere as a back-up.

That's another issue. It's fairly rare to see a goalie, even a highly touted one get entrenched as a starter until his mid-20s. For example-whats going to happen with Spencer Knight with Bob on a high $$$ long term contract in front of him?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That's another issue. It's fairly rare to see a goalie, even a highly touted one get entrenched as a starter until his mid-20s. For example-whats going to happen with Spencer Knight with Bob on a high $$$ long term contract in front of him?

I mean I'm not complaining, it was awesome watching Schneider while the Jets were absent. Though on many other NHL teams at the time he would've already have been a starter.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey Devils Acquire:
Cory Schneider · $4,000,000

Vancouver Canucks Acquire:
2013 1st round pick (NJD - #9 - Bo Horvat)

Ouch.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
New Jersey Devils Acquire:
Cory Schneider · $4,000,000

Vancouver Canucks Acquire:
2013 1st round pick (NJD - #9 - Bo Horvat)

Ouch.

Thats not ouch. Schneider had many great years with NJ. Just unfortunate the team wasnt good during that time and obvi injuries caught up to him earlier than most thought

Reactions: thethinglonger

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

There were better options taken after Zacha (Provo, Meier, Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, Konency, Debrusk, Beauvillier)
If you think Dave Conte would have pick from these 3 above PZ in bold, you're wrong:
1 Connor McDavid (C)
2 Jack Eichel (C)
3 Dylan Strome (C)
4 Mitch Marner (C/RW)
5 Noah Hanifin (D)

6 Pavel Zacha (C)

...and from 2016, Conte probably would not have done better with a higher pick:
1 Auston Matthews (C)
2 Patrik Laine (RW)
3 Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW)
4 Jesse Puljujarvi (RW)
5 Olli Juolevi (D)