Waived: [NJD] Devils place Cory Schneider on waivers (cleared)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wouldn't be surprised to see him get bought out.

He would cost 2 million in cap space for the next four years. It would save the Devils 4 million for two years then add 2 million in dead space for two years.

They are still paying Mike Cammalleri's buyout for next season at 1.667 too.

Yeah, a buy out seems likely.

if he clears, you almost wonder if you tell him to sit at home until the summer. Because if he gets hurt in the AHL, you can't buy him out.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He sure isn't the PK that won the Norris... but he's far from being one of the real problems this team has. He's fine.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Vancouver easily won. NJ never once was cometitve in his good years so at best all he did was get them worse draft picks.
So if you're Schneider what do you do after this season? You've already made $45 million in your career. Do you spend 2 years in the AHL to get that last $12 million, or just retire? Maybe the Devils just buy him out after this season.

Schneider takes the buyout and they give him a role within the organization. No way we pay him 6 mil down in AHL beyond this season.

As for Vancouver "winning" the deal, I'm not so sure about that. Conte would have likely blown the pick anyway and it's not exactly like Vancouver has been a juggernaut because of the deal.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sucks for him ( well outside him beeing paid really well ). His best years wasted on some pretty bad Devils teams . Worst part is how badly the team managed his injuries . He could still be ok if the team properly let him heal and not rush him back in years where the Devils weren't winning anything.

In a sense Schneider is very similar to Kari Lehtonen who was great on some bad Stars teams and when the Stars stopped beeing bad he was done and mostly from injuries. ( concussions in Lehtonens case ) . Schneiders contract is also very similar to Lehtonen last one.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Sad to hear about Schneider , 33 is young to be waived for what was at one point a top 10-15 goaltender in this league.

That being said Habs offer Cayden Primeau for Taylor Hall...:sarcasm:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nothing more to say other than how much this sucks. Love the guy and know how hard he tried to work back from the injuries he suffered. He just hasn't been able to do it. And what makes it worse is that glimmer of hope that was provided last year behind an AHL caliber team where he put up .920% SV% towards the end of the year.

I hope he gets to get another shot somewhere, he deserves a better end than this.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sucks for him ( well outside him beeing paid really well ). His best years wasted on some pretty bad Devils teams . Worst part is how badly the team managed his injuries . He could still be ok if the team properly let him heal and not rush him back in years where the Devils weren't winning anything.

In a sense Schneider is very similar to Kari Lehtonen who was great on some bad Stars teams and when the Stars stopped beeing bad he was done and mostly from injuries. ( concussions in Lehtonens case ) . Schneiders contract is also very similar to Lehtonen last one.
Lehtonen was so godly overrated

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Weird to think that the Canucks swapped Schneider who was a young goalie at the time, for the 10th overall prick.
They take Horvat, and Horvat is still considered "young" at only 24 but now Schneider is now 33 years old and washed up.

It's weird to me because at the time of the trade they were both "young players" in my eyes and i kind of thought their careers would go side by side the whole way and be compared until they both retire..but now CS is done and Horvat has another 8 years ahead of him

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Weird to think that the Canucks swapped Schneider who was a young goalie at the time, for the 10th overall prick.
They take Horvat, and Horvat is still considered "young" at only 24 but now Schneider is now 33 years old and washed up.

It's weird to me because at the time of the trade they were both "young players" in my eyes and i kind of thought their careers would go side by side the whole way and be compared until they both retire..but now CS is done and Horvat has another 8 years ahead of him

Schneider was older at the time of the trade than Horvat is now.. no-one thought they would retire simultaneously..

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Phil Brooks

Jun 26, 2019
Chicago, IL
Sad to see, I was really hoping for him to do well in NJ (still had 3 really solid years). Great teammate and absolute professional during his time in Vancouver. Wish him all the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad