Waived: [NJD] Devils place Cory Schneider on waivers (cleared)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What happened to him? Injuries?

Seems like he went from a Vezina contender to barely a starter in less than a year. Now he's not even NHL caliber? Yikes.

I wonder if he'll get bought out and get a chance with another team. He's only 33 and doesn't have a huge amount of wear-and-tear on his body.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So many injuries to a goalie is gonna be tough to recover from. Feel bad for him, but it's the right move for the Devils right now.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
he's almost certainly gonna clear. not too long ago he was considered in the upper echelons of NHL goalies.

Reactions: Morrison

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017

Seems like he went from a Vezina contender to barely a starter in less than a year. Now he's not even NHL caliber? Yikes.

I wonder if he'll get bought out and get a chance with another team. He's only 33 and doesn't have a huge amount of wear-and-tear on his body.
He has a ton of wear and tear. He's been largely injured the last 3 years.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Schneider has 6 wins in the last 31 games he started for the Devils since game 3 win against the Lightning in the playoffs.

Coaching staff have no faith in him to win games and it's probably justified.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
I meant from gameplay. I'm not familiar with his injury history.
Groin / hip issues. He got rushed back too quickly after them as well, specifically in the playoff year in 17-18 when his year long losing streak would start. Got hurt in Boston during it and tried to play through it then got hurt worse.

played hurt in those playoffs too.

Devilinlillinois

Jun 5, 2015

Pretty much injuries think he has had a few surgeries on his hip and after that he really never been the same.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Safe to say now that Vancouver won the trade?
Regardless, Schneider was a decent goalie in the first few years of his career with Vancouver and New Jersey but he’s fallen off a cliff due to injuries

Felt like Schneids was one of the best goalies in the league early in his New Jersey career.

But definitely Van won the trade, although no one could have predicted his injuries and subsequent drop-off.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I would just LTIRetire and collect my cheques with dignity. He just isn't an NHL player anymore, injuries killed him.

It's been discussed on the Devils board. The problem is that his contract doesn't have cheap years at the end, so they can't trade it to a LTIR team like Toronto or Ottawa for a late pick, and the Devils are not going to spend $6 million over the cap in real dollars anyway, so LTIR wouldn't actually do much. This might be a buy out as there are no bonuses so it would go from $6 million a year for 2 (more) years to $2 million a year for 4.

This is heartbreaking, Schneider is beloved and worked very hard to come back from his injury and took all the responsibility for his losses this year. There's still a small chance that he finds his game in Binghamton and can come back as an NHL caliber goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad