NJ Hfboards Yahoo Fantasy Hockey (Keeper League Discussion)

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
We do, congrats @billingtons ghost must be nice having McDavid, Mackinnon, and Hughes for the next however many years haha.

Haha. Thanks @bildo. I think you had the best team on paper this year. If anyone wants a rundown on how my team was built and the philosophies behind it, just dm me.

I drafted all three of those guys as late fifth (first) or sixth round picks, drafting tenth or eleventh. I even dropped MacKinnon, had someone else pick him up and drop him and then picked him up two years later off of waivers.

Hint: don't let Bedard slip to twelve this year.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Jun 26, 2013
Congrats @billingtons ghost! I was 3 good pickups by Peter away from taking you on again. Landeskog being out all year really hurt me. Anyway, not about me -- congrats to you! Your team is a wagon.

To all -- Thank you for playing this season! I have such a good time in this league and I don't really want to change anything. But, if there is anything we all can think of to up the activity level, I'm all ears. This year, we had 3 trades and 4 teams made 12 moves or fewer. Last year there was 1 trade and 4 teams made 10 moves or fewer. 2020 was 1 trade. Maybe it's just how we all are as fantasy owners, which is fine. But wanted to throw the question out to the group. Anything we want to change?

Next Year's Draft Order:
1 - tmg @tmg
2 - Concussion Junction @Henry Killinger
3 - Billdo @Billdo
4 - Rented Mule @south jersey devil
5 - Number 1 Team @MakoSlade
6 - KovalchukFistPump @KovalchukFistPump
7 - JustWin @Just Win
8 - PopsFreshenmeyer @Pops Freshenmeyer
9 - HBK27 @HBK27
10 - Book Him Dano @SJinNewJersey
11 - Peter Sidorkiewicz @PeterSidorkiewicz
12 - billingtons ghost @billingtons ghost

I'll check back in around August to make sure everyone is still interested in playing. I will definitely be agonizing over my keepers all summer.

Hope at the draft next year, we'll all talk about the Devils' amazing cup run! Congrats again, BG!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Congrats @billingtons ghost! I was 3 good pickups by Peter away from taking you on again. Landeskog being out all year really hurt me. Anyway, not about me -- congrats to you! Your team is a wagon.

To all -- Thank you for playing this season! I have such a good time in this league and I don't really want to change anything. But, if there is anything we all can think of to up the activity level, I'm all ears. This year, we had 3 trades and 4 teams made 12 moves or fewer. Last year there was 1 trade and 4 teams made 10 moves or fewer. 2020 was 1 trade. Maybe it's just how we all are as fantasy owners, which is fine. But wanted to throw the question out to the group. Anything we want to change?

Next Year's Draft Order:
1 - tmg @tmg
3 - Billdo @Billdo
7 - JustWin @Just Win
9 - HBK27 @HBK27

I'll check back in around August to make sure everyone is still interested in playing. I will definitely be agonizing over my keepers all summer.

Hope at the draft next year, we'll all talk about the Devils' amazing cup run! Congrats again, BG!
I'd like it if more ppl were active for sure.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Next Year's Draft Order:
1 - tmg @tmg
3 - Billdo @Billdo
7 - JustWin @Just Win
9 - HBK27 @HBK27

Congrats to @billingtons ghost.

As for changes, next year I would like to see 1 or 2 IR spots added. I think one was taken away this year. Teams are at a disadvantage when their players are injured. At one point his year I had 4 out of my 5 keepers injured. Should add at least one.

Also, there should be no pickup limit or have it raised to 75. If managers want to make lots of changes, it gives them more opportunities to drop players that other managers may pick up.

Last suggestions is something I am not sure if it's doable, but shorthanded points should be added to powerplay point. Probably not possible, but it really should be.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I agree with most of what people are saying.

I would love more trades. I think I might have been involved in all but one of the successful trades the past few years. I don't know how to incentivize trades except that I think they are key to winning.

I think maybe we have to ask the people who don't make allot of moves why they drop away? Is it just they give up early when they are down or lose interest? Do we just need replacement players?

Another IR slot would be great.
Shorthanded points would add another dimension. That sounds cool.

I initially argued for the higher pick up limit last year, but there was a good counterargument that it keeps folks from just turning over rosters, and that at the time I was the only guy up against it. I think two or three managers would have hit it, and I definitely held off on two or three moves bc I was close going into playoffs.

I'm fine with bouncing it to 60 or 75.

Thanks again for the congrats. LGD.

Going for the threepeat.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Maybe we drop acquisition limit from 4 per week to unlimited. It gives teams opportunities to be really aggressive on using the waiver wire.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
One more point: I'm kinda surprised at the lack of trade deadline deals... Especially for teams that are out of it who could certainly deal for keepers on IR...As you could probably do two or three for one of high quality guys and get back draft picks or a Landeskog, Svechnikov, Barzal etc.. or a kid who projects well but won't be of help this year. I got a very good offer for Hughes last year and this year and might've pulled the trigger last year, so...

Did my first draft pick deal this year giving up my first rounder so someone has two picks in the first...

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If anyone also drops out for next season please send me a dm. I’m very active in fantasy (especially with trades) and would love to be in well run keepers league.

No matter how old this msg is plz send a dm if I can grab a team.

(I noticed someone else sent a similar msg so figured I’d do the same to be in the line)

Pops Freshenmeyer

Jun 26, 2013
Hi all,

I have renewed the league for this upcoming year. The first games of the season are 10/10, so we have to figure out draft day. But, first things first, please respond here or send me a message through the league that you will play again this year. I am tagging everyone in this post, so hopefully they see it.

Draft Day Options
1. Weekend right before the game starts. October 6, 7, or 8th. I usually like 7 or 7:30pm as a draft time.
2. During the week the week before. October 2-6. I tend to have commitments during the week, so this would not be my pick.
3. Two weekends before. September 29, 30, October 1. I cannot do Sept. 30. Two weekends back means the keeper deadline is the week previous, which can get a little dicey with potential injuries in the preseason.

I plan on going with option 1. Maybe October 7 at 7pm. Let me know your thoughts.

League Rule Change Options
A. Currently there are 2 IR spots. Proposal to add 1 or 2 IR spots by @SJinNewJersey with @billingtons ghost support. I am okay with this, but I do think this would actually hinder more trades and we have so few already. That said, as someone who constantly stresses about dropping someone injured, we can give it a shot. Anyone opposed to adding 1 IR spot?
B. Proposal to raise the season's max acquisitions from 50-75 by @SJinNewJersey with @billingtons ghost support. I think this goes hand-in-hand with @Peter Sidorkiewicz suggestion on weekly acquisition limits. Personally, I like acquisition limits because it prevents people from constantly adding and dropping to ensure they get the win for the week. I do like the way this happens at the end of the playoff week with the race to get one more block or one more hit. But, during the season might get frustrating. There are 26 weeks in a season (weeks 24, 25, and 26 are playoffs). So, it seems a little odd to have a 4/week max, but then a 50 total max. So, I am okay with keeping the 4 acquisition/week max and raising the season max to 75. Anyone opposed to raising the season acquisition max to 75?
C. Adding shorthanded points to score. Proposal by @SJinNewJersey with @billingtons ghost support. This is something that can be added. I love this idea. Anyone opposed to adding shorthanded points to the scoring rules?
D. Any other rule change proposals?

Keeper Rules Reminder
5 keepers, 1 of which can be a goalie. Keeper deadline will be 1 week before the draft.

Traded Draft Picks
The league has that @south jersey devil owns both @billingtons ghost and @Henry Killinger first round picks. @Henry Killinger owns @south jersey devil 3rd round pick and @billingtons ghost owns @south jersey devil 7th round pick. Let me know if this is not correct.

Next Year's Draft Order:
1 - tmg @tmg
2 - Concussion Junction @Henry Killinger [1st round pick goes to Rented Mule]
3 - Billdo @Billdo
4 - Rented Mule @south jersey devil [3rd round pick goes to Concussion Junction and 7th round pick goes to billingtons ghost]
7 - JustWin @Just Win
9 - HBK27 @HBK27
12 - billingtons ghost @billingtons ghost [1st round pick goes to Rented Mule]

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I’m in!

All those draft days work for me. A week earlier than your earliest option would have been a no-go for me but all of those are good!

I’m happiest at 3 IR+ slots (and note IR+ is the position we presently have two of, not just IR!)

I’ve always liked weekly transaction limits (3 or 4) and no need for a full season one. If there’s weekly I’m happy with upping the full season to 75 but I’m happier with removing full season entirely.

I don’t love Shorthanded Points as a category, but I like it a lot more than Faceoffs Won, which is really about finding players who take a lot of faceoffs but yahoo has granted a winger designation - or lucking into yahoo doing so for a center you already own. It’s a very gimmicky category that causes player value to be too dependent on Yahoo’s seemingly arbitrary assignment of winger designations.

So that’s my proposed rule change - add SHP alongside removal of FW.

SJinNewJersey

Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I'm back in.

I am definitely for adding an extra IR spot. Last year I had 4 of my keepers hurt and not enough spots.

I like the increases of the numbers of acquisitions.

I like to add shorthanded points, they should be added to the Power play point category. So that category could be called special teams points.

I would keep face offs won as its own category; I know it seems random centers get winger designations. But it is part of the game, it still doesn't stop people from playing centers as wingers.

Last edited:

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I like to add shorthanded points, they should be added to the Power play point category. So that category could be called special teams points.
That isn’t a Yahoo-configurable head to head scoring category. If we’re using Yahoo for this we are bound to the scoring categories they offer in commissioner tools.

south jersey devil

Aug 27, 2019
I’m in.(Rented Mule)

-I’m good with the extra IR+ spot.

-I like the limited moves per week….maybe eliminate the max per season…..75 is fine tho.
(Actually wouldn’t mind if it were increased to 5 or 6 moves per week….but not a biggie)

- The more stat categories the better!

As for draft time, I’m good with whenever.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm in. I prefer simplified scoring but am down for whatever. As far as everything else I'm fine with whatever everyone wants. For the draft if we could try and get one during the week I'd much rather that. It's a hard sell for the wife and kids that I can't go out or do something on a Saturday night bc of a fantasy hockey draft but again, I'll figure it out if need be.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'm back again

Epic post Pops, my thoughts are as follows:

Draft day, my preference is Sunday 8th. If it is on Friday or Saturday i'll probably miss it but will set up some pre draft rankings.

OK to add the extra IR spot and lift the acquisitions to 75 per season. If we are lifting yearly acquisition, we should lift the weekly limit to 6 per week.

Regarding SHP as an extra category. Not a fan because 1 SHP could win a weekly category for a team. They don't come around often. Its more luck that drafting players that PK.

SJinNewJersey

Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I'm back again

Epic post Pops, my thoughts are as follows:

Draft day, my preference is Sunday 8th. If it is on Friday or Saturday i'll probably miss it but will set up some pre draft rankings.

OK to add the extra IR spot and lift the acquisitions to 75 per season. If we are lifting yearly acquisition, we should lift the weekly limit to 6 per week.

Regarding SHP as an extra category. Not a fan because 1 SHP could win a weekly category for a team. They don't come around often. Its more luck that drafting players that PK.
Shorthand goals and assists aren't common; however, they dramatically impact a game when they happen. We should be counting them; we have a power play points category to count those and then don't count shorthanded points, which in an actual game are more valuable. Just like penalties, this will actually make elite penalty killers have value as owners will look to draft a player or two who might make a difference for that category. All in all, if there aren't that many shorthanded points, it will also just be a push as both teams will be even.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm in. Keep everything the same bc I won. Jk.

I support all the rule suggestions, and agree we should keep weekly limit to avoid people going nuts all season.

Idk how to encourage more trading except to say that it works for me.

I think I broke the seal on the draft picks being traded at the deadline; and I think it's a good thing for the league. Making good (and bad) trades has always made the difference for me in winning, and I think the draft pick thing is especially great for teams that are out of the playoffs near the deadline. Rented Mule has a couple of extra first rounders that might make him into a powerhouse.

Glhf this year guys.

Edit:thanks Pop for your work.
Sunday is best for me too.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Hi all,

I have renewed the league for this upcoming year. The first games of the season are 10/10, so we have to figure out draft day. But, first things first, please respond here or send me a message through the league that you will play again this year. I am tagging everyone in this post, so hopefully they see it.

Draft Day Options
1. Weekend right before the game starts. October 6, 7, or 8th. I usually like 7 or 7:30pm as a draft time.
2. During the week the week before. October 2-6. I tend to have commitments during the week, so this would not be my pick.
3. Two weekends before. September 29, 30, October 1. I cannot do Sept. 30. Two weekends back means the keeper deadline is the week previous, which can get a little dicey with potential injuries in the preseason.

I plan on going with option 1. Maybe October 7 at 7pm. Let me know your thoughts.

League Rule Change Options
A. Currently there are 2 IR spots. Proposal to add 1 or 2 IR spots by @SJinNewJersey with @billingtons ghost support. I am okay with this, but I do think this would actually hinder more trades and we have so few already. That said, as someone who constantly stresses about dropping someone injured, we can give it a shot. Anyone opposed to adding 1 IR spot?
B. Proposal to raise the season's max acquisitions from 50-75 by @SJinNewJersey with @billingtons ghost support. I think this goes hand-in-hand with @Peter Sidorkiewicz suggestion on weekly acquisition limits. Personally, I like acquisition limits because it prevents people from constantly adding and dropping to ensure they get the win for the week. I do like the way this happens at the end of the playoff week with the race to get one more block or one more hit. But, during the season might get frustrating. There are 26 weeks in a season (weeks 24, 25, and 26 are playoffs). So, it seems a little odd to have a 4/week max, but then a 50 total max. So, I am okay with keeping the 4 acquisition/week max and raising the season max to 75. Anyone opposed to raising the season acquisition max to 75?
C. Adding shorthanded points to score. Proposal by @SJinNewJersey with @billingtons ghost support. This is something that can be added. I love this idea. Anyone opposed to adding shorthanded points to the scoring rules?
D. Any other rule change proposals?

Keeper Rules Reminder
5 keepers, 1 of which can be a goalie. Keeper deadline will be 1 week before the draft.

Traded Draft Picks
The league has that @south jersey devil owns both @billingtons ghost and @Henry Killinger first round picks. @Henry Killinger owns @south jersey devil 3rd round pick and @billingtons ghost owns @south jersey devil 7th round pick. Let me know if this is not correct.

Next Year's Draft Order:
1 - tmg @tmg
2 - Concussion Junction @Henry Killinger [1st round pick goes to Rented Mule]
3 - Billdo @Billdo
4 - Rented Mule @south jersey devil [3rd round pick goes to Concussion Junction and 7th round pick goes to billingtons ghost]
7 - JustWin @Just Win
9 - HBK27 @HBK27
12 - billingtons ghost @billingtons ghost [1st round pick goes to Rented Mule]
Hey, I would say to replace me. I just forgot to set up my team way too often last year and realized I am more about the occasional daily fantasy as opposed to a season-wide thing. You should ask around to see if anyone else wants in. (I got a team in a bad state when I first joined lol - so sorry if I leave one like that)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad