Proposal: NJ - Calgary (Gaudreau)

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
How does Hall have more upside? He's almost 2 years older and trending down, whereas Gaudreau is trending up.

Hall has more raw talent. Gaudreau may be trending up, he may be worth more now, but I would rather gamble on Hall.
In my opinion Hall's flaws can be coached and overcome. Edmonton is a joke of a franchise and I see him doing a hell of a lot better in NJ. If he turns things around he's a better player than Gaudreau, and I don't even thing it's close.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hall has more raw talent. Gaudreau may be trending up, he may be worth more now, but I would rather gamble on Hall.
In my opinion Hall's flaws can be coached and overcome. Edmonton is a joke of a franchise and I see him doing a hell of a lot better in NJ. If he turns things around he's a better player than Gaudreau, and I don't even thing it's close.

Wow. Ok then. You're entitled to your (delusional) opinion. I would think with the handful of coaches Hall had in Edmonton, his flaws would have been coached and overcome.

Gaudreau has infinitely better vision and defensive IQ.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Nice to have a young core filled with players other teams fans covet finally, but this trade isn't happening

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Wow. Ok then. You're entitled to your (delusional) opinion. I would think with the handful of coaches Hall had in Edmonton, his flaws would have been coached and overcome.

Gaudreau has infinitely better vision and defensive IQ.

Nonsense. Hall may have fallen out of favor while Gaudtreau has been trending up, but Hall's raw talent is a league above Gaudreau. It's not even close.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Nonsense. Hall may have fallen out of favor while Gaudtreau has been trending up, but Hall's raw talent is a league above Gaudreau. It's not even close.

What do you mean by raw talent? Size? Speed? Because he certainly doesn't have the same feel for the game Gaudreau has.

I'll echo Overman's comments.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
ITT: people saying Hall > Gaudreau when they've clearly never see Gaudreau play.

Not sure why people think Hall is some goal scoring machine and will hit 40 with NJ, he never even hit 30 with the Oilers playing with better offensive players.

Gaudreau hit 30 in his 2nd year and led his team to the playoffs in his rookie year.

Hall wishes he was as good as Gaudreau and I like Hall, think he'd be great here in Calgary playing along side Gaudreau.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
No thanks from the Flames. Gaudreau, despite his size, is a more complete player than Hall.

moon*

Depends on what Gaudreau's contract demands are. If they are ridiculous than sure I will easily trade him for Hall, if they are less than $6 million a year then it would be a tougher decision.

Hall is the better player but seems to get hurt and that is potentially linked to his style out play more than just freak accidents.

I also think the fan hype around Gaudreau would be a factor and especially with the negative bias many fans have around Hall, it would be a tough sell to the fans. Although that obviously shouldn't matter to the GM I do wonder if it matters to people above him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Depends on what Gaudreau's contract demands are. If they are ridiculous than sure I will easily trade him for Hall, if they are less than $6 million a year then it would be a tougher decision.

Hall is the better player but seems to get hurt and that is potentially linked to his style out play more than just freak accidents.

I also think the fan hype around Gaudreau would be a factor and especially with the negative bias many fans have around Hall, it would be a tough sell to the fans. Although that obviously shouldn't matter to the GM I do wonder if it matters to people above him.

Why would Gaudreau demand anything less than 7M/year, let alone 6M, after FF just signed for 6M?

moon*

Why would Gaudreau demand anything less than 7M/year, let alone 6M, after FF just signed for 6M?

Forsberg seems like a pretty good comparable so $6 million sounds about right.

But the main reason I used $6 million as a number is that is what Hall is making so if Gaudreau takes more or less than that then salary considerations come into play as well as on ice value.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Forsberg seems like a pretty good comparable so $6 million sounds about right.

But the main reason I used $6 million as a number is that is what Hall is making so if Gaudreau takes more or less than that then salary considerations come into play as well as on ice value.

Gaudreau handily outscored Forsberg this year. He will get paid more than Hall, which is one of the reasons it would make sense to the Flames to consider moving him.

The season he just had would have netted him 9-10M+ on the UFA open market. It will be less because he's an RFA, but not that much less.

moon*

Gaudreau handily outscored Forsberg this year. He will get paid more than Hall, which is one of the reasons it would make sense to the Flames to consider moving him.

The season he just had would have netted him 9-10M+ on the UFA open market. It will be less because he's an RFA, but not that much less.

Yes he did outscore him this year but the year before they were pretty close and both close in the Calder voting. Also contracts shouldn't be handed out on one year.

I dont think it is as easy as saying Forsberg got 6 so you get 6 but I think it is a good base to work off of.

I also agree that Gaudreau making more than Hall would be a big incentive to make the move.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes he did outscore him this year but the year before they were pretty close and both close in the Calder voting. Also contracts shouldn't be handed out on one year.

I dont think it is as easy as saying Forsberg got 6 so you get 6 but I think it is a good base to work off of.

I also agree that Gaudreau making more than Hall would be a big incentive to make the move.

6 is a floor. But given that he outscored FF by 25% this year, he could very easily be looking at a 7.5M contract.

And while you might think contracts shouldn't be handed out for one year, they usually are . . .

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
What do you mean by raw talent? Size? Speed? Because he certainly doesn't have the same feel for the game Gaudreau has.

I'll echo Overman's comments.

Hall is the more dominant player, and generates more offense, more shots. You fail to realize that Gaudreau's point totals are propped up by power play points. When it comes to 5v5 Hall is the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad