Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I'm still stuck in the "acknowledge that it's impressive/lovingly crafted and probably a really good game, but don't find it immediately appealing/addictive so I'm procrastinating to even play it" phase. I bought it, started it, and died a couple of times, but didn't really get anywhere notable yet.

I'm not sure I find that combat style that satisfying yet. There's something about fast, pin-point-accurate movement on an isometric map that has never felt quite natural to me. That's been a bigger barrier for me than the roguelite thing so far (a lot of my favorite games actually are randomly generated rogue-lites (I think-- never been clear on how those genre labels work). Downwell and Into the Breach for example.

With Dead Cells it was more that I didn't like the idea of extensive maps, exploration, and progression being randomly generated. For games where the point is less level design and more mastery of mechanics in small isolated challenge rooms, it makes a lot of sense to me for that to be randomly generated (it's like Tetris-esque at that point). Not sure where Hades will land for that, but if it starts to feel massive and sprawling yet random, that might start to get on my nerves.

Brutal.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I know this would require some type of 5G transmitter or something but I'd like to see the switch pro have the dual screen capability of the Wii U. It seems like BotW had this ability on Wii U but stripped it out because they didn't want it to seek like the "better version" on the Wii U. Maybe it's not realistic since it makes development more complicated, but still.

Also, Dead Cells is an okay game. I beat the base difficulty with the Kings Bodyguard final boss but didn't go farther, a bit too repetitive for me.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm still stuck in the "acknowledge that it's impressive/lovingly crafted and probably a really good game, but don't find it immediately appealing/addictive so I'm procrastinating to even play it" phase. I bought it, started it, and died a couple of times, but didn't really get anywhere notable yet.

I had pretty much the same experience for the first month. Once you hit 5-10 hours in game, something kind of clicks where you learn how to make great builds, the storyline progresses, and you unlock more overall content. It’s annoying you need to wait for the game to get great, but it was worth it IMO. I beat it recently and am on the fence about going back to unlock more of the storyline.

I'm not sure I find that combat style that satisfying yet. There's something about fast, pin-point-accurate movement on an isometric map that has never felt quite natural to me. That's been a bigger barrier for me than the roguelite thing so far (a lot of my favorite games actually are randomly generated rogue-lites I think-- never been clear on how those genre labels work). Downwell and Into the Breach for example.

With Dead Cells it was more that I didn't like the idea of extensive maps, exploration, and progression being randomly generated. For games where the point is less level design and more mastery of mechanics in small isolated challenge rooms, it makes a lot of sense to me for that to be randomly generated (it's like Tetris-esque at that point). Not sure where Hades will land for that, but if it starts to feel massive and sprawling yet random, that might start to get on my nerves.

Ah, I gotcha, that makes sense regarding your take on roguelites. I think Hades does the random chambers and procedure really well overall in terms of how they don’t use too much variation/randomization and keep a narrative going. You won’t have that last point as an issue, it stays the same scope the whole time.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Personally I think Hades is great and I'm not a big fan of the genre. I have taken a bit of a break from it though. Think I'll enjoy it more if I don't try to bumrush my way to the end.
They remade it for SNES and DS, which I would prefer to play.
That is definitely a preferable way to play the game but even with the improvements, it's still a pretty weak game. I got through it once and that was enough for me.

I didn't even want to try the original as I just watched gameplay and by modern standards it looks like an absolute slog to play through.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Personally I think Hades is great and I'm not a big fan of the genre. I have taken a bit of a break from it though. Think I'll enjoy it more if I don't try to bumrush my way to the end.

That is definitely a preferable way to play the game but even with the improvements, it's still a pretty weak game. I got through it once and that was enough for me.

I didn't even want to try the original as I just watched gameplay and by modern standards it looks like an absolute slog to play through.
It was more of prefer if I was forced to choose. The DS version is pretty easily a bottom two English-release FE game.

And can confirm about the NES version. It's not enjoyable

Reactions: HanSolo

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm not wading into Game of the Year picks since I'm nowhere near finished with the games I want to finish first, but I'll say I'm absolutely smitten with Hades despite generally disliking and being godawful at those genres. I really can't say enough about how well that game is balanced...every step further felt earned, every defeat a lesson, the drip feed of story keeping me wanting to learn more... I feel neither lucky or overpowered when I have success, one of which tends to be a necessity for me to see the fifth screen of a game like this.

Apparently the only way to get me to defend myself is when games ditch the dodge/parry mechanic for a dash. I'll dash all over the damn map, but refusing to dodge in any game ever has been one of my trademarks since Street Fighter II was in the arcade.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I grew tired of my Chromecast not always connecting (for Netflix), so I hooked up my Wii U to my main TV. Totally forgot I have Earthbound on there. What a difficult game.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Anyone here play Burnout Paradise Remastered? Considering picking it up at 50% but curious to see if the Switch port runs well. I just want to play it for the Burnout nostalgia, but Paradise wasn't anything amazing so I'm on the fence.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My BOTW data was corrupted and it look like I lost everything. Is there anyway to get it back?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Crysis Remastered is on sale for 40% off ($22.67 CAD). I haven't played it in about 10 years but might pick it up as the Switch has been light on shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad