Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
My Link's Awakening boycott lasted about 4.75 days.

Its really neat to see the ancient mechanics of LA updated with modern aesthetics.

I love the roly-poly raccoon in the early game.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Hadn't really gotten into games like Fire Emblem Three Houses before, after reading reviews of it I decided to get it and loved it. Are there any similar type of RPG games on Switch that people would recommend?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My Link's Awakening boycott lasted about 4.75 days.

Its really neat to see the ancient mechanics of LA updated with modern aesthetics.

I love the roly-poly raccoon in the early game.

Did you play A Link Between Worlds? It's probably even better.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Hadn't really gotten into games like Fire Emblem Three Houses before, after reading reviews of it I decided to get it and loved it. Are there any similar type of RPG games on Switch that people would recommend?

Closest thing on the Switch is likely Mario+Rabbids. The combat in Rabbids is actually better than Three Houses but obviously the story is lighter and less involved.

Reactions: Trash Man

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Arlo does a pretty great job here of capturing my thoughts on this game.

I am very much enjoying it, and as a big fanboy I am okay with paying full price for what I got, but as Arlo says, you can have basically the same amount of fun for less than $5 on your 3DS.

I think the review Metacritic is around 88% or something and IMO, speaking as a huge Nintendo and Zelda fanboy, I think tht score is absurdly high. Like Arlo says, any number feels very arbitrary, but I think it could justifiably receive any score from like a 60 to an 80.

On one hand it is amazing to have a classic Zelda game like this recreated so faithfully.

On the other hand, it is ridiculous that a 25 year old game has been remade square-by-square with no effort to update the game at all beyond some slight conveniences afforded by the controller.

IGN gave it a 9.4/10 and to me that score is a complete f***ing joke.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Arlo does a pretty great job here of capturing my thoughts on this game.

I am very much enjoying it, and as a big fanboy I am okay with paying full price for what I got, but as Arlo says, you can have basically the same amount of fun for less than $5 on your 3DS.

I think the review Metacritic is around 88% or something and IMO, speaking as a huge Nintendo and Zelda fanboy, I think tht score is absurdly high. Like Arlo says, any number feels very arbitrary, but I think it could justifiably receive any score from like a 60 to an 80.

On one hand it is amazing to have a classic Zelda game like this recreated so faithfully.

On the other hand, it is ridiculous that a 25 year old game has been remade square-by-square with no effort to update the game at all beyond some slight conveniences afforded by the controller.

IGN gave it a 9.4/10 and to me that score is a complete ****ing joke.

A 60 would imply little effort was put into the game. The only real negative points about it are the price and some minor performance issues.

This is a "From the ground up" remake. New graphics, new music, etc. I didn't watch the video but what were his ideas on what could be added?

Link's Awakening is already a fantastic game to begin with, I'm honestly not sure what they could've put in besides other full games (Oracles, LttP, etc).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I completely agree with the frame rate issues being kind of unacceptable considering what this is (and that could potentially justify all kinds of different ratings, in my mind), but I completely disagree with how people judge games by the quantity of content or effort put into them, the content-to-price ratio, or how new they are. Those considerations are completely irrelevant to me, personally.

Just... how good is the resulting game? If the minimalist experience itself, even ignoring minor enhancements was originally worth $120, then sell it for $120 for all I care. If a game took a gargantuan effort to pull off and is loaded to the brim with new and fully loaded content but doesn't actually translate into anything valuable, it isn't even worth a dollar, in my opinion.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Alright guys,

I'm tempted to get a Nintendo Switch so help me out.
After the Mega Man nostalgia games, what else should I be interested in?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Alright guys,

I'm tempted to get a Nintendo Switch so help me out.
After the Mega Man nostalgia games, what else should I be interested in?

Full price games:
-Breath of the Wild
-Mario Odyssey
-Super Smash Bros
-Mario + Rabbids (wait for a sale though, they're pretty frequent)
-Splatoon 2
-Mario Kart 8
-Super Mario Maker
-Dragon Quest 11
-Luigi's Mansion 3

eShop games:
-Stardew Valley
-Golf Story
-Sonic Mania
-Cuphead
-Into The Breach
-Tetris 99
-Dead Cells
-Shovel Knight

And this is only the games I like/want. There are tons of other games that just don't have big appeal to me but lots of other people seem to love. Fire Emblem Three Houses means nothing to me but lots of people seem to think it is the best game on the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
not really switch related but didnt see a thread anywhere else

anyone playing Mario Kart Tour?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
not really switch related but didnt see a thread anywhere else

anyone playing Mario Kart Tour?

Havent even looked at it. Could hardly care less about mobile games.

Though I am glad people no longer complain about them "taking away" from main console offerings anymore. These are just cash grabs almost wholly unrelated to Nintendo proper.

Reactions: Disclose

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
as a mario kart fan. i played a few games not impressed.
ill just keep waiting for a new version

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Full price games:
-Breath of the Wild
-Mario Odyssey
-Super Smash Bros
-Mario + Rabbids (wait for a sale though, they're pretty frequent)
-Splatoon 2
-Mario Kart 8
-Super Mario Maker
-Dragon Quest 11
-Luigi's Mansion 3

eShop games:
-Stardew Valley
-Golf Story
-Sonic Mania
-Cuphead
-Into The Breach
-Tetris 99
-Dead Cells
-Shovel Knight

And this is only the games I like/want. There are tons of other games that just don't have big appeal to me but lots of other people seem to love. Fire Emblem Three Houses means nothing to me but lots of people seem to think it is the best game on the system.

Bastion is a great eShop game that you can get for like $4 when on sale. The combat mechanics get surprisingly deep when you get later into the game; I was originally turned off by the easy early game but returned to it later and it’s become one of my favourite indie games. Also has one of the best soundtracks I’ve heard in a game.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The fact that Nintendo is still charging full price most of the time for BoTW, MK 8, Odyssey, Splatoon 2 at this point is near criminal.

And I own of the games I've complained about (MK8 and BoTW twice!), but seriously they should be Nintendo Selects titles by now.

Reactions: Winger98

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Bastion is a great eShop game that you can get for like $4 when on sale. The combat mechanics get surprisingly deep when you get later into the game; I was originally turned off by the easy early game but returned to it later and it’s become one of my favourite indie games. Also has one of the best soundtracks I’ve heard in a game.

Bastion is fantastic. Supergiant makes some great stuff.

I personally enjoyed Pyre even more, whacky little gem that it is. Unfortunately I don't think it is ported to the Switch (yet).

A few more indie gems:

The Messenger
Celeste
Ori and the Blind Forest

If you like the platformer and/or metroidvania style of game, these are great choices IMO (and that's coming from someone who historically isn't a big fan of the genre).

If you are feeling too happy and need to be taken down a peg with a good game:

This War of Mine

If you are feeling too sad and need some stupid humour:

West of Loathing

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
And I own of the games I've complained about (MK8 and BoTW twice!), but seriously they should be Nintendo Selects titles by now.

They wont be "Nintendo selects" until they stop selling well and I don't expect that day will ever come.

They do go on sale occasionally. Once, maybe twice a year. There is always a big sale for E3, and I believe they do some good sales for Black Friday.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I sincerely fear I will never, ever finish my backlog of games.

Currently playing Hollow Knight, and I'm trying to do it with zero internet help. It is quite the adventure honestly, but it takes a really long time to just "figure things out". While that's part of the charm, I feel like I will be playing this for like a year (similar to BOTW).

Games I have already purchased but not played yet (cause of good sales):
- Dead Cells
- FFXII
- Bastion
- Crypt of the Necrodancer
- Slay the Spire
- Steamworld Quest
- Celeste

Games on my wishlist that I absolutely will also get:
- Link's Awakening
- Dragon Quest XI
- Pokemon
- That Marvel Diablo game
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- And I'm sure I am forgetting some...

I also got Mario Odyssey as a gift and never finished it.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad