Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Was thinking of Overwatch for the Switch but Overwatch can suck a butt until Blizzard gets its head out of its ass.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Final Fantasy games on the Switch is just unbelievable. Bought FFX/X-2 and 7 yesterday and I'm just loving it. Perfect platform for them.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
Was thinking of buying a switch.
Was reading about the next PlayStation about to come out next year.
I'm not wanting to buy if Nintendo's next console is coming out anytime soon..
Anybody know if anything new is on the horizon?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Was thinking of buying a switch.
Was reading about the next PlayStation about to come out next year.
I'm not wanting to buy if Nintendo's next console is coming out anytime soon..
Anybody know if anything new is on the horizon?
We just got the Switch v2 and the Switch Lite, so I doubt anything new is coming soon. Actually it’s a great time to jump on.

Reactions: Scygen

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Just started Divinity: Original Sin 2 last night. Have it on PC, as well, but I'm finding a single player experience to be much more enjoyable than playing with four of my friends. I'm noticing so much more detail and getting a lot more of the story beats when I don't have three dudes yelling at each other in my ear.

I also have DQXI to play through, plus The Witcher 3 comes out tomorrow. Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate 2 as well as Planescape: Torment come out tomorrow, as well. I don't think I've ever been this overwhelmed by RPGs before, but I love it and hate it at the same time.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Just started Divinity: Original Sin 2 last night. Have it on PC, as well, but I'm finding a single player experience to be much more enjoyable than playing with four of my friends. I'm noticing so much more detail and getting a lot more of the story beats when I don't have three dudes yelling at each other in my ear.

I also have DQXI to play through, plus The Witcher 3 comes out tomorrow. Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate 2 as well as Planescape: Torment come out tomorrow, as well. I don't think I've ever been this overwhelmed by RPGs before, but I love it and hate it at the same time.

How does it run on the switch? Any performance issues?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
How does it run on the switch? Any performance issues?
Not that I've noticed, no. I'm still in the Fort Joy area, so I haven't seen too much of the game yet, but apart from there being some random loading in handheld mode, it runs very smoothly. I don't think there are many differences between the Switch version and the regular console version apart from graphical fidelity, if there are any at all. Combat is still smooth, even when there are different surfaces in play and different status effects affecting multiple characters. Role-specific moves look good and don't hurt the frame rate, from what I've seen. It's a really, really good port of a really, really good game.

Only thing - and I don't remember if it was like this on PC - is that quick saves and saving in general take upwards of 10 seconds to complete. Makes ending the game in a hurry a bit of a hassle, but nothing unmanageable.

Reactions: sa cyred

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Not that I've noticed, no. I'm still in the Fort Joy area, so I haven't seen too much of the game yet, but apart from there being some random loading in handheld mode, it runs very smoothly. I don't think there are many differences between the Switch version and the regular console version apart from graphical fidelity, if there are any at all. Combat is still smooth, even when there are different surfaces in play and different status effects affecting multiple characters. Role-specific moves look good and don't hurt the frame rate, from what I've seen. It's a really, really good port of a really, really good game.

Only thing - and I don't remember if it was like this on PC - is that quick saves and saving in general take upwards of 10 seconds to complete. Makes ending the game in a hurry a bit of a hassle, but nothing unmanageable.
Gotcha thanks! I added it to my list!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Has anyone played the newish Tales of Vesperia for Switch? I really liked it for my Xbox but I don’t know how I feel about this one. It seems A LOT easier than before.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is anyone picking up Little Town Hero from Game Freak this week? Looks intriguing and its under 35 dollars Canadian which is not terrible.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Got Witcher 3 physical. :vhappy:

Now just need the workday to end. :tmi:
I only played it on PC so I never got any of the extra goodies that come with a physical copy of the game. I’m pretty excited for those.

Also, I read the digital download for the game is 29G, so probably a smart move to go with the physical version. That’s a huge download file for the Switch.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I only own 4 physical game carts. Zelda: BOTW, Skyrim, Witcher 3.....and Splatoon 2. :thumbu:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Two phenomenal games, one really high quality game, and...Skyrim :sarcasm:

I have played very, very little of it. Was a pretty big waste of money in retrospect.

I got far enough to get over encumbered but not far enough to own that house where I can store everything.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Haven't finished the remake version yet, but what's strange is that the weird, goofy premise and overall charm of Link's Awakening is somehow more timelessly executed than the premise of any of the other Zelda games. You get this bittersweet feeling in the second half that is just perfect.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I also played final fantasy for the first time ever when the ffx/x-2 hd remaster came out in April, now J just finished my second play through because I liked the story so much. I almost filled the sphere grid and I beat penance twice, also trashed yiazmat when the ff12 zodiac edition came out mid May and beat ff9 lol. I am a JRPG fanatic now as after beating ff9 I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and and beat it, beat torna and now on playthrough 2 almost maxing every blade should skill grid, beat Ff6 and Crono trigger on my snes classic lol. Now I bought Octopath Traveller and I love that game so much, just stuck on the final boss.

Oh man, finding a new genre and enjoying it as much as i have has been a blast. I have so much more Jrpgs to go and there’s so much more coming.
Earthbound, Mother 3, Final Fantasy IV/VII/Tactics, and Terranigma are worth considering as well.

As far as modern throwbacks go, I definitely appreciated Undertale more than Octopath, too.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
We're thinking about buying a Switch for the kids for Christmas. I'm a PS4 gamer and haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64.

Looks like a decent console but I just had a question...the console comes with two controllers right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad