Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I make almost no effort to finish games "without help".

If I feel like I have wasted 5 minutes playing a game then I will seek out a walkthrough. I have zero patience for feeling "lost" in a game. Its just such a waste of time.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

If I feel like I have wasted 5 minutes playing a game then I will seek out a walkthrough. I have zero patience for feeling "lost" in a game. Its just such a waste of time.

Getting lost and figuring it out on my own might've worked when I was a teenager, but 39 year old me has limited time between wife, work, and kids.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

This is why I gave up on Hollow Knight. Also because I didn't know what to search for and watching walkthrough videos is as much of a waste of time as trying to figure it out.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
This is why I gave up on Hollow Knight. Also because I didn't know what to search for and watching walkthrough videos is as much of a waste of time as trying to figure it out.

Yeah I have a hard time with both platformers and Metroidvanias.

The only games I have patience for are big open worlds that I simply enjoying running in like BOTW or Red Dead.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah I have a hard time with both platformers and Metroidvanias.

The only games I have patience for are big open worlds that I simply enjoying running in like BOTW or Red Dead.
I've learned I"m just not much of a platforming fan other than Mario. Celeste was fun for a bit but became too frustrating.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I just do not understand the love for the Goose game. It's clunky and doesn't feel good to play but all I hear and see is how it's so great.

Baffled.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I just do not understand the love for the Goose game. It's clunky and doesn't feel good to play but all I hear and see is how it's so great.

Baffled.

Its a goofy meme. I understand 100% why videogames media fawns all over it.

I will wait for a steep price cut. It is currently $20 CDN. I will wait for $10.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Finally started BotW last night, it’ll be the first real Zelda game I sink me teeth into. So far it seems like it’ll be a great slow burn for me and I’ve started fishing by throwing bombs into the water. I’m a terrible person.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Enjoying the heck out of Link's Awakening. And I bought it with a gift card that I've had for years, so it feels like I got it for free so I'm not hot and bothered with seemingly common complaint that it's overpriced.

Bare minimum, it's up there with Minish Cap and LttP/ALBW with my favorite 2D Zeldas, but need to think it's overall ranking when I finish.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Finally started BotW last night, it’ll be the first real Zelda game I sink me teeth into. So far it seems like it’ll be a great slow burn for me and I’ve started fishing by throwing bombs into the water. I’m a terrible person.
I’ve never played a zelda game before botw, I ended up immersing myself in the game for hundreds of hours, getting all the Korok seeds beating all the quests all on master mode. I wanted to make sure I don’t want to play that game again for a decade. Lol

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I also played final fantasy for the first time ever when the ffx/x-2 hd remaster came out in April, now J just finished my second play through because I liked the story so much. I almost filled the sphere grid and I beat penance twice, also trashed yiazmat when the ff12 zodiac edition came out mid May and beat ff9 lol. I am a JRPG fanatic now as after beating ff9 I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and and beat it, beat torna and now on playthrough 2 almost maxing every blade should skill grid, beat Ff6 and Crono trigger on my snes classic lol. Now I bought Octopath Traveller and I love that game so much, just stuck on the final boss.

Oh man, finding a new genre and enjoying it as much as i have has been a blast. I have so much more Jrpgs to go and there’s so much more coming.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I also played final fantasy for the first time ever when the ffx/x-2 hd remaster came out in April, now J just finished my second play through because I liked the story so much. I almost filled the sphere grid and I beat penance twice, also trashed yiazmat when the ff12 zodiac edition came out mid May and beat ff9 lol. I am a JRPG fanatic now as after beating ff9 I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and and beat it, beat torna and now on playthrough 2 almost maxing every blade should skill grid, beat Ff6 and Crono trigger on my snes classic lol. Now I bought Octopath Traveller and I love that game so much, just stuck on the final boss.

Oh man, finding a new genre and enjoying it as much as i have has been a blast. I have so much more Jrpgs to go and there’s so much more coming.
And the wild thing is: most of the "best ever" JRPGS were made 20+ years ago. IMO. I've been a JRPG nut since I was like 10-11. I'm in my 30's now.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
It’s so nice when you stumble on a new genre you might not have expected to like.

I find I can’t play too much of one genre at once or for too long; I’m on Zelda after spending the last year playing racing games almost exclusively because they were easy to pick up while working full time. Ideally I should have fully completed Pokemon Let’s Go before I started Zelda because I only have a gym and the Elite Four left but I can’t even bring myself to do that. Might even trade it in. As I’ve posted here I really like what they’ve done with Let’s Go but overall I still think I’ve hit the same brick wall with Pokémon that’s been there for almost a decade now. Won’t be getting Sword or Shield I don’t think.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

Look into Dragon Quest XI and Ni No Kuni as recent Switch games

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
And the wild thing is: most of the "best ever" JRPGS were made 20+ years ago. IMO. I've been a JRPG nut since I was like 10-11. I'm in my 30's now.
I whole heartedly agree. I’m in my mid 20’s and used to watch my brother play these games, I honestly thought he was odd playing these game and idk why. I would just walk in and see him battling without any concept of the story going on and t never looked fun to me. After getting convinced by him into just trying out FFX, I simply can’t get enough of them now. The extreme plot twists in ffx captivated me and ive never felt caught so into a story as I have in this game ever. I wanted to know what happens next, loving that game made me want to do the Chocobo race for the sun crest or dodging the 200 lightning bolts for the Venus sigil. Not stopping until I have all celestial weapons for earth character fully maxed.

But yeah playing chrono trigger and ff6 completely blind was also something else. Absolutely love this genre and it will be a lifelong thing now.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It’s so nice when you stumble on a new genre you might not have expected to like.

I find I can’t play too much of one genre at once or for too long; I’m on Zelda after spending the last year playing racing games almost exclusively because they were easy to pick up while working full time. Ideally I should have fully completed Pokemon Let’s Go before I started Zelda because I only have a gym and the Elite Four left but I can’t even bring myself to do that. Might even trade it in. As I’ve posted here I really like what they’ve done with Let’s Go but overall I still think I’ve hit the same brick wall with Pokémon that’s been there for almost a decade now. Won’t be getting Sword or Shield I don’t think.
i still like pokemon and preordered both, but I am slowly losing my interest. I bought let’s go eevee because it is a pokemon game but I was just never into it. I filled my Pokédex on usum and have competitive team but to me pokemon fell off after ORAS. It is my favourite gen from now anybody forever. I’ll give This gen a fair chance, but I don’t like what theyre selling me I don’t think I’ll go back to pokemon again.

Look into Dragon Quest XI and Ni No Kuni as recent Switch games
Thanks for the suggestions, I was going to buy dragon quest but I’ve wanted to play Octopath for so long so I oukled the trigger haha. My brother told me Oninaki is great so either that or dragon quest will be my next buy.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
i still like pokemon and preordered both, but I am slowly losing my interest. I bought let’s go eevee because it is a pokemon game but I was just never into it. I filled my Pokédex on usum and have competitive team but to me pokemon fell off after ORAS. It is my favourite gen from now anybody forever. I’ll give This gen a fair chance, but I don’t like what theyre selling me I don’t think I’ll go back to pokemon again.

Yeah I played OR, was good for the nostalgia hit but the last game I really enjoyed was HG. Last one I loved was Emerald. I’ve just lost track of all the new mechanics and don’t love the grind of building a team. In terms of RPGs I think Zelda is the way to go for me now, can do the story or just open it up and fluff around for a while. Can go months without playing and not feel utterly lost coming back. Same reasons I love Forza Horizon I suppose.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So i thought Link's Awakening was pretty great. A rare case of the remake actually improving on the original.

In my opinion, it probably has the best tone setting i've ever seen in a game

The Face Shrine is the 6th dungeon in the game. The music here is incredibly eerie and sorrowful, almost like you're at funeral, execution of someone or something. It's when you get to the boss you learn the truth about the island; wake the Wind Fish, and everything and everyone on the island disappears, since it is a dream. The music does a great job setting the tone throughout the dungeon as you just listen and feel uneasy as if something wasn't right.

So, so masterfully executed and i can't get over it. Really gives what looks like a cutesy game on the surface some deep emotional weight.

You can say a lot about Nintendo, but their music is still the best in the business, bar none.

Reactions: robertmac43

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
New Zelda rankings for me:

- Zelda Rankings -
Breath of the Wild
Link to the Past
(Okami)
A Link Between Worlds
Wind Waker
Minish Cap
Link's Awakening
Twilight Princess
Ocarina of Time
Zelda 2
Zelda 1
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Hyrule Warriors
Majora's Mask
Link's Crossbow Training
Skyward Sword

- Haven't Played Yet -
Oracle of Seasons & Ages
Four Swords
Four Swords Adventures
Tri Force Heroes
Cadence of Hyrule

LA might be my new favorite Zelda ending, though.

And for ranking purposes, I consider Okami a spiritual Zelda game, deal with it. Not including Okamiden as I barely remember it and haven't finished it. And I'm including Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule as Zelda games as they're games on Nintendo consoles with Hyrule in the title. Expanded universe.

Now bring on an Oracles remake so I can take a crack at those.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
To those looking at Dragon quest, I heard the newest one was given a close to 10 hour demo in the store (took this from Reddit, haven't actually played it). It's on the list to play after Astral Chain is done.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Confession: I don't think I've ever truly enjoyed a Zelda game. I liked the one on 3DS a bit, but I've just had such a hard time connecting with them.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Picked up Smash Brothers and Fire Emblem. Started Smash last night and boy oh boy do I feel old :laugh:

I had Smash 64 back in the day but did not pick up any of the other ones until this one and I am struggling big time even on normal :shame:

Also big thumbs down for not having a nice version of Gourmet Race! All we have is the super obnoxious metal one?!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Picked up Smash Brothers and Fire Emblem. Started Smash last night and boy oh boy do I feel old :laugh:

I had Smash 64 back in the day but did not pick up any of the other ones until this one and I am struggling big time even on normal :shame:

Also big thumbs down for not having a nice version of Gourmet Race! All we have is the super obnoxious metal one?!
Pretty sure the 64 and Melee versions are there.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Cadence of Hyrule is on my to buy list, and Crypt of the Necromancer was on sale a few days ago, so I bought it. Tipped my toe in for the first time last night, and even as a rhythmless goon it's a damn fun experience. Adding the Zelda aesthetic and more polish to the sequel makes me think it should be damn good, so I'll definitely give Cadence of Hyrule a try soon.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Overwatch comes out next week. I'm hoping there's a huge noob boost from players that have never played before, just like you see after Christmas in popular games. Jeff from the team also said that Smash can use any of their heroes and recommended Tracer, who would make a lot of sense for the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->