Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Supposedly that effect creates an optical illusion of sorts that makes the things on screen look more like real, miniature objects/toys.

It's too bad you need the blur for it to work, but I think it does the job and the game has a really interesting/charming look and feel partly because of it.

Tilt Shift Photography for Spectacular Miniature Effect

In photos it works great. I don't think they quite got the right look using it in game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Sounds like Switch Lites have drifting Joycons as well.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm going to get a Switch soon, what games would people recommend as must-buys?
I think I'll start with:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Link's Awakening
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Smash Bros
And then in the future get Mario Kart, Super Mario Maker 2, Into the Breach, and Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Also, what are Amiibos and are they worth getting?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I think I'll start with:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Link's Awakening
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Smash Bros
And then in the future get Mario Kart, Super Mario Maker 2, Into the Breach, and Divinity: Original Sin 2.

I would just rent or borrow Odyssey if you can. I've also read that Link's Awakening is short as well (which I bought yesterday, but it's new to me).

Amiibos are little plastic figures that have NFC chips that can give costumes, extra hearts, treasure chests in certain games when tapped against the reader in one of the joycons. They started out in Smash on the Wii U, as character trainers.

Worth getting is subjective. People view them as physical DLC, I just see them as another video game figure to try and collect. (some are considered 'rare', and annoyingly some are store exclusives.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think I'll start with:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Link's Awakening
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Smash Bros

These are the ones that I stuck with and hold up best to me:

Celeste
Inside
Into the Breach
Tetris 99
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
Downwell
Link's Awakening
Dark Souls Remastered
Ikaruga
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Hollow Knight

Mario Maker's neat too.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
These are the ones that I stuck with and hold up best to me:

Celeste
Inside

Into the Breach
Tetris 99
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
Downwell
Link's Awakening
Dark Souls Remastered
Ikaruga

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Hollow Knight

Mario Maker's neat too.

I've played the bolded on Xbox One, but I never made much headway with Hollow Knight (only an hour or two in) and Dark Souls so I'll probably pick them up eventually.

What accessories are worth looking into? I was thinking the pro controller and Gamecube controller adapter (just for Smash) would be worth it.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Mario is really long if you go for all the moons.
but other wise its still a pretty damn fun game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've played the bolded on Xbox One, but I never made much headway with Hollow Knight (only an hour or two in) and Dark Souls so I'll probably pick them up eventually.

What accessories are worth looking into? I was thinking the pro controller and Gamecube controller adapter (just for Smash) would be worth it.
I just have a pro controller. My can't-miss recommendation would be Downwell. It's literally only $3-4, is addictive as hell, and is built around an ingenious/original concept that's perfectly designed. I like it as much as Celeste/Into the Breach, which I've been a broken record about.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
By the way, I'm playing Link's Awakening right now, and while I love the game itself (it's like a shorter Earthbound-lite charm-wise, but with better game design) and what they've done with it aesthetically, the frame-rate issues are even worse than expected. It's far more persistent and disruptive than any of the reviews have made it sound like-- Happens literally and noticeably every time you transition to a slightly different area. And I'm someone who generally doesn't care about frame rates.

I think I'm going to wait and see if they patch it before continuing.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
By the way, I'm playing Link's Awakening right now, and while I love the game itself (it's like a shorter Earthbound-lite charm-wise, but with better game design) and what they've done with it aesthetically, the frame-rate issues are even worse than expected. It's far more persistent and disruptive than any of the reviews have made it sound like-- Happens literally and noticeably every time you transition to a slightly different area. And I'm someone who generally doesn't care about frame rates.

I think I'm going to wait and see if they patch it before continuing.

It's not game breaking, but considering I play docked...very disappointing. I can't imagine how bad it stutters handheld.

Either in the key or color dungeon, it really slowed down at a point when a bunch of enemies appeared at once. The amount of loading screens annoys me as well, maybe more so than the FPS, in comparison to BOTW, which can continually load the world when outside.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's rare to see Nintendo put out a game with such obvious technical issues. And $80 for a remake is a bit tough to swallow. The original is a great game, but this thing needs some patching.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I just have a pro controller. My can't-miss recommendation would be Downwell. It's literally only $3-4, is addictive as hell, and is built around an ingenious/original concept that's perfectly designed. I like it as much as Celeste/Into the Breach, which I've been a broken record about.

I'll check it out, thanks. Can't really go wrong with a $3-4 price tag, and I love me some minimalist/retro indie games.

Anyone here play Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee? I haven't played a Pokemon game in forever (Blue/Red/Yellow on GB), I'm thinking this would be a good one to jump back into.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think I'll start with:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Link's Awakening
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Smash Bros

If you’re into RPGs enough to get Divinity, I’d recommend giving Three Houses a shot.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'll check it out, thanks. Can't really go wrong with a $3-4 price tag, and I love me some minimalist/retro indie games.

Anyone here play Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee? I haven't played a Pokemon game in forever (Blue/Red/Yellow on GB), I'm thinking this would be a good one to jump back into.

I'm not into Pokemon games at all but Sword and Shield are coming out soon and they seem to have people more excited. Let's Go has a bit of a bad rep but I aware that a lot of it comes from raging 15 year olds :laugh:

Just wanted you to know that two new Pokemon games are coming out fairly soon.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

I’m playing the Pikachu version l at the moment, really enjoying it overall. I do miss some of the missing things that seem unnecessarily changed like no bikes or safari zone. The wild encounter and catching mechanics have grown on me though. Imo they’re good games, but since it’s another remake of the original games and also geared to new/GO players, it won’t exactly catch you up on what you’ve missed.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All I know is that I'm about the furthest thing possible from someone spoiled by modern gaming standards and this obsession with games hitting a smooth 60 fps, given that I don't like modern games enough to play them very often, and the frame rate bothered me enough to be fed up with it and stop until it's fixed, despite this being my most highly anticipated game of the year.

It doesn't make it unplayable, but it's bad enough to significantly detract from the experience, IMO.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So started Astral Chain yesterday. All I can say is WOW. This game is awesome. I can see why it was getting the high ratings as it did. The graphics really are phenomenal and the transition from cutscene to gameplay is top notch.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I signed up for the online service to get the old school games. I tried the super nintendo tennis game and gave up, I was so bad it. I crave Virtua Tennis. Mario Tennis Aces is fun though.

I hope they continue to expand their old school games library. Tecmo SuperBowl is just so much better than Tecmo Bowl I really hope they add it into the library. I still have my original NES that I got for Christmas as a kid in the 80s and Tecmo Super Bowl, but I would rather not hook it up.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
they update and add games every now and then. i wish any other version of Tecmo would make it, instead of that one.
so hopefully they put it in the SNES version..

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I’m playing the Pikachu version l at the moment, really enjoying it overall. I do miss some of the missing things that seem unnecessarily changed like no bikes or safari zone. The wild encounter and catching mechanics have grown on me though. Imo they’re good games, but since it’s another remake of the original games and also geared to new/GO players, it won’t exactly catch you up on what you’ve missed.

It's definitely good for that nostalgia itch but you're right that they did strip away alot of the features like bikes, fishing, safari.

I enjoyed it and I stopped playing Pokemon around Crystal (the follow-up to Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad