Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
if anybody hasn't played it yet, Ni no Kuni: The Wrath of the White Witch is an amazing game and is only $40 CAD on Switch right now, both online and in store. I put almost 150 hrs into it the first time I played.

It's basically Pokemon set in Final Fantasy land, but all the animations were done by Studio Ghibli

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I know people are going to be like "Where's DKC/Earthbound/etc?" but Panel de Pon is legitimately an amazingly fun puzzle game.

Panel De Pon is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time, in my opinion (second only to Tetris for me, personally). I'm a little surprised they didn't use the much more marketable and aesthetically appealing Tetris Attack version, though. Wild Guns is also wildly underrated and holds up really well.

This may be blasphemy, but I think both are significantly better than Donkey Kong Country, for my money.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Panel De Pon is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time, in my opinion (second only to Tetris for me, personally). I'm a little surprised they didn't use the much more marketable and aesthetically appealing Tetris Attack version, though. Wild Guns is also wildly underrated and holds up really well.

This may be blasphemy, but I think both are significantly better than Donkey Kong Country, for my money.
I think the "Tetris" part of the game prevented the game from ever being re-released, so they just worked around it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the "Tetris" part of the game prevented the game from ever being re-released, so they just worked around it.
Interesting, that never even crossed my mind (why are they able to release Tetris 99 then?). Oh well, the Panel De Pon version still looks significantly better than the Pokemon Puzzle League version at least, IMO.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
if anybody hasn't played it yet, Ni no Kuni: The Wrath of the White Witch is an amazing game and is only $40 CAD on Switch right now, both online and in store. I put almost 150 hrs into it the first time I played.

It's basically Pokemon set in Final Fantasy land, but all the animations were done by Studio Ghibli

Well shiiiiiiit, it's $30 in the US. Sure seems like yet another game I'll have to buy. :laugh:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Ni No Kuni was fun, but not great.
Finally found a copy of Xenoblade 2 on eBay for $57. Gonna wait for part 1 though to come out.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Well shiiiiiiit, it's $30 in the US. Sure seems like yet another game I'll have to buy. :laugh:

I loved it, spent 100+ hours on it for main quest, then another 50 hours of messing around.

Ni No Kuni was fun, but not great.
Finally found a copy of Xenoblade 2 on eBay for $57. Gonna wait for part 1 though to come out.

I loved it, one of my favourite games in a long time.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Donkey Kong Country isn't really that great a game. DKC2 is the actual gem of the series.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Interesting, that never even crossed my mind (why are they able to release Tetris 99 then?). Oh well, the Panel De Pon version still looks significantly better than the Pokemon Puzzle League version at least, IMO.
Tetris Attack, unsurprisingly, isn't a Tetris game, and I think the license holders regretted allowing Nintendo name PDP that.

Anyway it's here in two days and I'm so ready for it.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I haven't touched anything in the NES & SNES collection in quite a while, but seeing the praise for Panel De Pon will probably get me to try it out once it gets added.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I randomly managed to get one today (for now at least). Saw a tweet that Best Buy had some in stock, and then was able to wrangle it into my cart, but was refused going from cart to checkout, which is apparently common. Did a bit more browsing and saw people had success with removing from cart, re-adding, and on and on. Finally it just seemed to work so I completed the checkout.

I'm still sort of assuming that Best Buy will cancel it but I guess I'll find out. I've been wanting one for a while and almost decided on a Lite when they were briefly available a week or two ago one day, but ultimately want the option to play on my TV. The only downside if I actually get it is going to be ponying up the $$$ for the games I want after years of being acclimated to Ps4 prices. I guess I won't build up a huge backlog.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I randomly managed to get one today (for now at least). Saw a tweet that Best Buy had some in stock, and then was able to wrangle it into my cart, but was refused going from cart to checkout, which is apparently common. Did a bit more browsing and saw people had success with removing from cart, re-adding, and on and on. Finally it just seemed to work so I completed the checkout.

I'm still sort of assuming that Best Buy will cancel it but I guess I'll find out. I've been wanting one for a while and almost decided on a Lite when they were briefly available a week or two ago one day, but ultimately want the option to play on my TV. The only downside if I actually get it is going to be ponying up the $$$ for the games I want after years of being acclimated to Ps4 prices. I guess I won't build up a huge backlog.

Nintendo has become more competitive with Sony as far as sales go.

You should be able to find most older 1st party games for 50% off this November physical or on the eshop (at least that's been the case the past 2 years) or 30% off a few times a year.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Is it just me or have the eShop deals started to dry up on good games?
I have a wish list on DekuDeals of like 20 different games, and only 2 of them have had tiny sales that were negligible. None of the big indie games seem to go on sale very often (although I shouldn't have passed on Golf Story and Enter the Gungeon's sales in the last few months).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nintendo has become more competitive with Sony as far as sales go.

You should be able to find most older 1st party games for 50% off this November physical or on the eshop (at least that's been the case the past 2 years) or 30% off a few times a year.

Thanks, that's great to know. I made a bit of a habit of checking prices occasionally, but didn't realize they would go quite so low. IIRC there was a sale of some 1st party games for $40 not too long ago, which seems like a decent enough price to jump on.

I got a shipment confirmation so I guess Best Buy won't be trying any funny business and I actually succeeded in getting one. Strange as it might sound, I may drag my feet on powering it up until the new Paper Mario comes out. I'm pretty sure I can hold out that long – I'm finishing up Persona 5 and still have both the original and the remake of FF7 as next on my agenda. That seems like 6 weeks pretty easily.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't touched anything in the NES & SNES collection in quite a while, but seeing the praise for Panel De Pon will probably get me to try it out once it gets added.
It's very deceptively simple and could underwhelm at first glance, but then before you know it, you end up doing stuff like this

Also, one of those games where console slow-down is almost a perfectly designed feature that adds a lot to the experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is it just me or have the eShop deals started to dry up on good games?
I have a wish list on DekuDeals of like 20 different games, and only 2 of them have had tiny sales that were negligible. None of the big indie games seem to go on sale very often (although I shouldn't have passed on Golf Story and Enter the Gungeon's sales in the last few months).

The Celeste sale was well worth it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Is Celeste fun / worth it on portable? I have the PS4 version and was very intrigued, put some hours into it, but didn't get totally absorbed because of how much a challenge it is. I could see it bing something that might be fun to have the portable option with, so maybe I'll keep an eye out for the next time it goes on sale.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Is Celeste fun / worth it on portable? I have the PS4 version and was very intrigued, put some hours into it, but didn't get totally absorbed because of how much a challenge it is. I could see it bing something that might be fun to have the portable option with, so maybe I'll keep an eye out for the next time it goes on sale.
On a Switch Lite, I would say go for it (I think that has an improved D-Pad, right?). But on an undocked normal Switch with the Joy-cons on the side?-- I would say maybe not, unless you won't play it any other way-- That four-individual-buttons-d-pad is going to destroy your thumbs playing Celeste, and using the analogue stick is not ideal. The pro controller also has annoying d-pad input errors that are magnified by how precise Celeste's platforming is, especially if you struggle with the challenge level to begin with.

My best experience with the game has been with a PS4 controller, personally. Unlike the Switch, every mistake feels purposeful and strictly your own fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I played Celeste with a Saturn controller. That pad has probably my favourite d-pad, feels great for Celeste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad