Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The Xbox One X with star wars is now 20 dollars cheaper than a Nintendo switch. Come on Nintendo, it's been 3 years.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
That isn't how supply and demand work though.
Actually that literally is how it works. Higher price always lowers demand, though that doesn't work with certain items like basketball sneakers or wristwatches (where it's actually reverse). Regardless, you lower price to sell more.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Actually that literally is how it works. Higher price always lowers demand, though that doesn't work with certain items like basketball sneakers or wristwatches (where it's actually reverse). Regardless, you lower price to sell more.

The Switch is still selling well so Nintendo can justify the current price tag. While economics of elasticity (the last sentence in your post) is a viable business model (most games on Steam), Nintendo never elects to go this route and it seems to have worked for them for the most part.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The Switch is still selling well so Nintendo can justify the current price tag. While economics of elasticity (the last sentence in your post) is a viable business model (most games on Steam), Nintendo never elects to go this route and it seems to have worked for them for the most part.
Well, about half the time, Nintendo 64, GameCube, and Wii U got crushed badly.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Well, about half the time, Nintendo 64, GameCube, and Wii U got crushed badly.

Not sure about N64/Wii U, but I know the GameCube had really large profit margins. Nintendo generally has very cheap to manufacture products and justify higher price tags by innovation/their IP franchise games. Even when their products don’t sell as well as the competition, they’re making way more profit per unit than Microsoft/Sony. So total sales are a bit misleading when it comes to the success of their products.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So it's about time for a Nintendo direct that is not focused on anyone franchise. I feel like it's been for ever since we got one of those and I really don't know much about what is happening in 2020 other than Animal Crossing, Mystery Dungeon, and the various expansions. Give me new news please!

Hoping for something in March!

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Completely didn’t notice that they’re remaking Mystery Dungeon, will be getting that at launch for sure. I fondly remember being 10 years old, walking into an EB Games and my parents buying me Red Rescue team spur of the moment. I also didn’t know it was coming out. Almost every other game I got as a kid I had to save up for so it’s pretty special.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just bought Saint Row: The Third. If you’re into GTA/open world games this is pretty fun. Plus the 4th one is coming out soon!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looks like there was a leak for a Nintendo Direct..One of the art pieces was a Lego Super Mario logo, could be interesting!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Waiting for this to be released. Last year's crop of indie games were really disappointing, but this looks right up my alley.

Hyper Light Drifter meets Celeste meets Dead Cells? Yes, please.

Reactions: CPTN71

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Waiting for this to be released. Last year's crop of indie games were really disappointing, but this looks right up my alley.

Hyper Light Drifter meets Celeste meets Dead Cells? Yes, please.

I actually tried out the early access off of the Xbox app on PC last night (it's part of the Game Pass), and I have to say it's very good.

I haven't played Dead Cells or Hyper Light Drifter personally, but the platforming feels very much similar to Celeste and the combat reminded me a lot of smashing a roguelike/lite on top of The Messenger in the way that you can use attacks for momentum and height.

I'm not normally much of a roguelike/lite type of person, but this might buck that trend. We'll see.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I actually tried out the early access off of the Xbox app on PC last night (it's part of the Game Pass), and I have to say it's very good.

I haven't played Dead Cells or Hyper Light Drifter personally, but the platforming feels very much similar to Celeste and the combat reminded me a lot of smashing a roguelike/lite on top of The Messenger in the way that you can use attacks for momentum and height.

I'm not normally much of a roguelike/lite type of person, but this might buck that trend. We'll see.
Sounds good. I'm probably going to wait for an official release and reviews. So far it's admittedly entirely surface level appeal for me, but that look and feel is a huge huge draw for me and I'm easily suckered into that stuff.

I actually stayed away from videogames around the time when Roguelike/lite became a thing, so I'm unfamiliar with the history and a little lost regarding why so many people seem to be put off by it. Seems like quite a few of the games I love get mixed in with that category, though (Into the Breach, Downwell).

The pixel style/music (minus the metal stuff) seems to be very similar to Hyper Light Drifter, and I'm just going off of the Celeste Meets Dead Cells tagline-- not sure about the actual gameplay, but it all sounds promising.

The growly aggressive music...... will need to grow on me. Seems like it could become offputting.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I actually stayed away from videogames around the time when Roguelike/lite became a thing, so I'm unfamiliar with the history and a little lost regarding why so many people seem to be put off by it. Seems like quite a few of the games I love get mixed in with that category, though (Into the Breach, Downwell).

I haven't delved much at all into Roguelike/lite - only a few games.

Something about the style grows old very quickly for me, but it is hard for me to describe exactly what. Into the Breach is probably my one exception so far. I love that game. Still have to get around to trying Downwell...

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Do any of you Switch players have the Hasbro Game Night pack by any chance? Or just Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit. I'm looking for people to play online with to pass the time.

Otherwise I've got Mario Kart, Rocket League and CTR to play online. I'm pretty useless at all of them though. Feel free to add me by friend code SW-0911-0564-6127.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Just bought Animal Crossing. It's already the 20th on my account and system so I get to play slightly earlier. I haven't played an AC game since Wild World but I remember liking it quite a bit, and since we're under confinement here I'll be able to properly get into it. Probably a non-buy for me if life was back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad