Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The 2nd one? How is the play quality on the switch? I heard when it was released it was iffy.

I can't speak specifically to the Switch version, but on PC it earns the title of "Early Access". Fun, but very raw. Not something I would recommend yet personally, but I was interested enough that I will keep an eye on its development.

I don't know about the original, although Shogun has me intrigued now...

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Rune Factory 4 comes out on Switch next month.
For those who have played it previously, is it worth a pick up? I have Stardew Valley on the Switch, and while it does seem to be pretty similar, what can RF4 offer that Stardew doesn't?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Terranigma is such an unfortunate case. It's legitimately better than most of the classic RPGs released during that time that get praised ad nauseum, far superior to stuff like Secret of Mana or Illusion of Gaia and on arguably a similar level to FFVI or Chrono Trigger.

Probably the ballsiest that the SNES ever got in terms of cinematic sprite usage, IMO.

I really hope they eventually bring out Tetris Attack to SNES online. It's one of the greatest games on the console (and a rare case that legitimately holds up as great even by modern standards), but they always neglect it. It's way better than other Tetris/block puzzle spin-offs that regularly gain traction these days, and it's a Nintendo property with recognizable Nintendo characters looking their best, so it's not like there should be any licensing or marketability issues. Looks great, sounds great, plays great, ridiculously addictive, surprisingly rich and competitive mechanics, yet easy to pick up and understand.... what's the hold-up?

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
So they don't update for weeks and then their big drop is that?

At this pace, they're still going to be releasing a trickle of NES and SNES for the Switch 7 in 2053.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, it's really underwhelming. It's actually been a while since anything's been announced with the Switch or showed off at a Nintendo Direct that I've been really excited about, personally (all of these Smash, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem updates do absolutely nothing for me). Maybe they know that they can't compete with the upcoming huge releases of the year by other consoles and are laying low for now?

I've been crossing my fingers for something Metroid-related for a while now (even if it's just a re-release/remaster).

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I was sort of wondering about there being some classic old games available on the online subscription that I could give a shot, having never played any of them due to not owning a Nintendo until the 64 (fairly late in its life).

I get the distinct impression that Nintendo's offerings have been lackluster, and there isn't a ton to make the sub worth it?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was sort of wondering about there being some classic old games available on the online subscription that I could give a shot, having never played any of them due to not owning a Nintendo until the 64 (fairly late in its life).

I get the distinct impression that Nintendo's offerings have been lackluster, and there isn't a ton to make the sub worth it?
The more obvious must-play staples are in there (Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 3, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Super Metroid are all legitimately great, with a handful being genuinely among the best all time), and it's absolutely worth paying the subscription fee just to experience them if you haven't already and otherwise wouldn't elsewhere. In my opinion, the best way to experience them is by buying a SNES Classic (if you can find one), hacking it to add all the emulated games it's missing, and having the authentic experience, controllers and all, but this way may be more convenient/feasible.

It's more underwhelming for a lot of people just due to the fact that they started off by releasing an inferior collection of the existing SNES Classic offerings (which shouldn't require much effort at all on their part), and they're just slowly doling out obscure games that generally aren't worth playing, despite the fact that there exists a treasure trove of significantly better games available for that console that they're taking their sweet time with for no reason other than because they can milk it over a longer period of time.

Considering how limited the library is right now, if I were you, I would just subscribe, beat those games (maybe try a handful of others like the Super Mario Bros 1, 2, F-Zero, and Super Mario Kart), and then cancel.

I mean, Super Metroid alone is better than most $60 games today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickmo82

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The more obvious must-play staples are in there (Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 3, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Super Metroid are all legitimately great, with a handful being genuinely among the best all time), and it's absolutely worth paying the subscription fee just to experience them if you haven't already and otherwise wouldn't elsewhere. In my opinion, the best way to experience them is by buying a SNES Classic (if you can find one), hacking it to add all the emulated games it's missing, and having the authentic experience, controllers and all, but this way may be more convenient/feasible.

It's more underwhelming for a lot of people just due to the fact that they started off by releasing an inferior collection of the existing SNES Classic offerings (which shouldn't require much effort at all on their part), and they're just slowly doling out obscure games that generally aren't worth playing, despite the fact that there exists a treasure trove of significantly better games available for that console that they're taking their sweet time with for no reason other than because they can milk it over a longer period of time.

Considering how limited the library is right now, if I were you, I would just subscribe, beat those games (maybe try a handful of others like the Super Mario Bros 1, 2, F-Zero, and Super Mario Kart), and then cancel.

I mean, Super Metroid alone is better than most $60 games today.

The strange part is that Nintendo has been doing this since they launched the virtual console on the Wii and 3DS. I remember some of my favourite games not being available on the Wii, and I believe SNES games weren't even an option on the 3DS. It's such a bizarre decision that it has made me curious what Nintendo's motives are behind this decision. Like, they obviously would make a lot of money off a very little amount of work in porting the games over, so what gives? Are they worried people won't ever buy those games again in the future and they are saving them for more dire times when the stock/company isn't doing well? The whole thing baffles me.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The old 3DS didn’t have the power to run SNES games, the New 3DS has a lot of them available for sale. Sometimes it’s a matter of licensing issues. Sometimes the IP is still profitable for the publisher/devs, so the game isn’t available for Virtual Consoles or Nintendo Online. The Mega Man collections still rake in cash for Capcom, and Tecmo still has versions of Tecmo Super Bowl for sale, for example.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There is also the very simple fact that there are only so many SNES games that get people excited.

Releasing them very slowly makes the most business sense.

disneybuff

Dec 20, 2013
I'm looking to dive into some RPG games. I havent ever really played any, I mostly stick to simple side scroll games, but Im looking for something new. Any suggestions for a beginner? Nothing to difficult please!

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
There are quite a few nowadays and many subgenres also covered. There are older JRPGs like Final Fantasy 7 and Ni No Kuni, newer ones like Xenoblade 2, turn based combat with Fire Emblem, and western RPGs like Skyrim and Witcher 3...and tons more, we need a bit more info on what you enjoy to give a good suggestion.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'm looking to dive into some RPG games. I havent ever really played any, I mostly stick to simple side scroll games, but Im looking for something new. Any suggestions for a beginner? Nothing to difficult please!

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a fun simple game, the digital copy is on sale for CAD$19.99 in the Nintendo E-Shop right now.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've generally found that for myself, most modern RPGs aren't all that worthwhile, especially considering the investment. Without minimalist charm, eccentric personality, and a "do a lot with a little" sense of ambition, a lot of it feels like pointless busywork to me now (and I've never been a fan of grindy leveling systems/stat-watching games). And storytelling in videogames in general (especially when they take themselves seriously) leave a lot to be desired. Classic JRPGs were great because they weren't afraid to be dumb/silly/out there yet inspired. Those specific sensibilities seem to be a dying artform to me.
Try Undertale.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Dragon Quest XI S is the best JRPG I've played on the Switch, personally. The Witcher 3 still takes the cake for the best RPG on the console, though, in my opinion.

Reactions: Jovavic

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

South Park Fractured But Whole

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What are some good cheap games for this console?

Ive tried windjammers which is super addicting found out there’ll be Windjammers 2 coming out!

I was a big fan of Mario Strikers in the game cube anything similar to that?

Doggie Ninja The Burning Strikers for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

Chiki-Chiki Boxy Pro Wrestling for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

found these I’m tempted!
Not similar to Windjammers but...
How recent? This year specifically or within the past few? Does Into the Breach count as one of the big ones?

Downwell has flown criminally under the radar, IMO (and it's only $3 and isn't a huge time investment, so there's no excuse not to give it a real shot). It's one of the most elegantly crafted yet simple games of the decade, in my opinion. As I mentioned in another thread, I genuinely think it's a tighter game than Hollow Knight, which might be blasphemy to a lot of people.

Downwell for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

I've been keeping an eye out for Windjammers 2, but there hasn't been any news for it in a long time, despite being previously expected to be ready by 2019.

Reactions: gopinator09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad