Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Anyone have a favorite baseball game on the Switch? I’ve tried the demo for Super Mega Baseball 2, and apparently the sequel is coming out next month. I’m tempted to buy Desktop Baseball as well, as I used to have a similar game on Android. Maybe they’ll have mercy on us and put a SNES Griffey game on Nintendo Online this summer.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Just bought Animal Crossing. It's already the 20th on my account and system so I get to play slightly earlier. I haven't played an AC game since Wild World but I remember liking it quite a bit, and since we're under confinement here I'll be able to properly get into it. Probably a non-buy for me if life was back to normal.

Would it be okay for a switch lite (ie no motion controls required?) and is it a good game to jump into the animal crossing world?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Would it be okay for a switch lite (ie no motion controls required?) and is it a good game to jump into the animal crossing world?
So far I haven't noticed any motion controls so it should be fine on a Lite. So far I'm finding it to be a good re-introduction, though it's a bit slow starting so I'm manipulating my system clock until everything is up and running.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I'm playing on the Switch Lite and the only difference I can tell boils down to screen size.

This is effectively my first Animal Crossing game and that hasn't held me back at all.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
New Bravely Default looks really cool. Definitely underwhelming to see Arms as the new Smash character, I thought they would go for something more out there or classic to get the hype going for the new pass. Arms just does not do it for me personally!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
@Big McLargehuge Catherine is coming to the Switch

I still haven't had a chance to play the PS4 edition (it released the day after I started my travels)...but having it portable would help solve that...

New Bravely Default looks really cool. Definitely underwhelming to see Arms as the new Smash character, I thought they would go for something more out there or classic to get the hype going for the new pass. Arms just does not do it for me personally!

A couple of the DLC fighters have been from series I couldn't possibly care less about...but at least Terry has a place in video game history and Banjo has a friggin' ton of fans...but does anyone even like Arms? I feel like I haven't heard anyone talk about that since a month after it came out.

Feels like it had that "this is kinda fun for a few minutes" vibe that couldn't carry a $60 price tag, so everyone just moved on almost immediately.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I still haven't had a chance to play the PS4 edition (it released the day after I started my travels)...but having it portable would help solve that...

A couple of the DLC fighters have been from series I couldn't possibly care less about...but at least Terry has a place in video game history and Banjo has a friggin' ton of fans...but does anyone even like Arms? I feel like I haven't heard anyone talk about that since a month after it came out.

Feels like it had that "this is kinda fun for a few minutes" vibe that couldn't carry a $60 price tag, so everyone just moved on almost immediately.

My thoughts exactly. From what I remember Arms got bad reviews, had little content, and was deemed the gimmick game of the Switch from the beginning. Not a great place to start in trying to sell the new pass, especially after the mixed reactions to Byleth's addition.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
As someone who always heard that Xenoblade Chronicles was good but never played it, the Definitive Edition is interesting...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While I prefer these port-heavy Directs to the Smash/Pokemon focused ones, and things like Bioshock and Catherine are moderately intriguing (the club house thing makes it feel more complete as well, even though its unlikely I'll be getting into that, and I like the 3D hand-drawn integration in Bravely Default), I gotta say, since buyng the Switch and loving it, I've found the new releases to be pretty lackluster. I expected more gems, indie titles, and remasters to be regularly released or teased with each Direct. It's been less than a year though, so maybe I'm just being impatient.

There still being nothing Metroid related on the Switch is frustrating as well.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wish Clubhouse Games was out today. Need that while we're all stuck inside.
Same. I loved the DS game.

ARMS character isn't really an exciting reveal but I liked the game. At first it didn't have a whole lot of content because they planned on releasing free updates throughout the year ala Splatoon. It's a fairly robust game nowadays.

also have to assume Rex/Pyra aren't far behind.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
While I prefer these port-heavy Directs to the Smash/Pokemon focused ones, and things like Bioshock and Catherine are moderately intriguing (the club house thing makes it feel more complete as well, even though its unlikely I'll be getting into that, and I like the 3D hand-drawn integration in Bravely Default), I gotta say, since buyng the Switch and loving it, I've found the new releases to be pretty lackluster. I expected more gems, indie titles, and remasters to be regularly released or teased with each Direct. It's been less than a year though, so maybe I'm just being impatient.

There still being nothing Metroid related on the Switch is frustrating as well.

This is a head scratcher. They should be looking to release the Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered (they just need to improve upon the WiiU release), ideally with some of the handheld games added in, while they work on a new Metroid game. I never played the Prime games as I never had a Gamecube/WiiU, so they would be awesome to experience now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Honestly the only thing in the lineup that excited me was Burnout Paradise and I suppose the Bioshock collection.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
The more concerning thing for me is how we haven't had anything more regarding the new Shin Megami Tensei yet.
It was revealed to be in development during the actual Nintendo Switch reveal, and I believe there has only been one small trailer beyond that and nothing more.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
As a huge Burnout fan, I really don't get why they chose Paradise to remaster. Burnout 3: Takedown would be the obvious choice, but even Burnout: Revenge would be better (or ideally, having both 3 and Revenge remastered together in one package). Paradise was a huge step down for me. The racing and tracks felt worse as a result of the open/sandbox environment, having no crash mode was disappointing, and the soundtrack wasn't quite as good as the previous games. Burnout 3: Takedown is probably a top 5-10 game of all time for me, so it's disappointing that it has been neglected over the last decade.

Edit - actually it makes perfect sense, EA is a cheap ass company and Paradise is the newest, easiest one to port since they pretty much only need to update the FPS and resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Honestly the only thing in the lineup that excited me was Burnout Paradise and I suppose the Bioshock collection.
I thought those along with the Borderlands stuff was cool to seen on a Nintendo system, the problem is I have played them all on other systems already... So really anything 'new'.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I think people have forgotten that the new Metroid had to be completely scrapped and Nintendo switched over to Retro Studios for them to create it from the ground up. It's only been a little over a year since this happened. We aren't getting it anytime soon still I believe. If we do, I'd be shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad