Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Oh, by joy cons, you meant motion controls, right.... I always get that mixed up with the analog controller sticks.

I agree that motion-control-specific capabilities is silly, but honestly, I went through the game without being remotely aware that motion controls were even a thing, and I don't remember any tedious roadblocks. It also helps that I thought a lot of those moves looked kind of dumb, too. Like moving your cap around in whatever direction you like after the throw? Feels like cheating or something.

Having to drum your joycons to run super-fast to outrace an NPC to obtain moons. Awful, awful design. You can play through the game without getting these moons, but it’s pure hell for anyone trying to 100% the game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Having to drum your joycons to run super-fast to outrace an NPC to obtain moons. Awful, awful design. You can play through the game without getting these moons, but it’s pure hell for anyone trying to 100% the game.
What are you referring to? I remember racing NPCs, but I don't remember drumming joy cons to do it.

I remember that bouncing thing in the Snow Kingdom, which was just pressing a button at the right time, and the Koopa racing, which was just about using maneuvering skill.

That said, trying to 100% the game does not sound interesting at all. Most of the optional moon objectives are just insultingly pointless busywork that reflects very poorly on the game regardless of possible joy con issues, IMO.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
What are you referring to? I remember racing NPCs, but I don't remember drumming joy cons to do it.

I remember that bouncing thing in the Snow Kingdom, which was just pressing a button at the right time, and the Koopa racing, which was just about using maneuvering skill.

That said, trying to 100% the game does not sound interesting at all. Most of the optional moon objectives are just insultingly pointless busywork that reflects very poorly on the game regardless of possible joy con issues, IMO.

They were Koopa races that you had to opt in to. Not just the first race, but second and third moons for the same race iirc. Completely unbeatable if you didn’t use your joycons in detached mode. Yeah, they were terrible.

Completely agree with your last paragraph.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They were Koopa races that you had to opt in to. Not just the first race, but second and third moons for the same race iirc. Completely unbeatable if you didn’t use your joycons in detached mode. Yeah, they were terrible.

Completely agree with your last paragraph.
I seem to remember completing at least a couple of those without being aware that motion controls were even a thing (what do the joy cons even do to help in those cases? Speed up the roll?). The dinosaur place and the night-time one where you jump down from the tower, I think (although I had to rely on those fancy hat jump tricks). I actually found them to be among the few fun ones. Didn't do all of them though.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I seem to remember completing at least a couple of those without being aware that motion controls were even a thing (what do the joy cons even do to help in those cases? Speed up the roll?). The dinosaur place and the night-time one where you jump down from the tower, I think (although I had to rely on those fancy hat jump tricks). I actually found them to be among the few fun ones. Didn't do all of them though.
Yup, speed up the roll. Imagine drumming the tiny joycons with giant hands while trying to finely control your direction with the tiny thumbstick. And failing over and over. Screw you, Nintendo.

I feel better now, thanks! lol

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You sure about that? lol
Maybe you know witchcraft or something.
It’s essential for some races.
It really isn't, though.

Here's a completion video that didn't seem to use motion controls and barely used any rolls at all. I approached my Koopa races very similarly purely by using similar running/jumping/leaping/hat-jumping combinations, and it seemed like a pretty effective method. In fact, that's what made them fun, as opposed to all the endless fetch quest moons.

I didn't do all of them myself (only certain that I fully completed the first two), but my experience is more consistent with GreatKeith's than yours, personally.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Been playing Hotline Miami on the Switch mostly in handheld... and holy shit is the rumble way too strong, especially in the sequel. Actually had to physically turn off the joycon HD rumble when playing it. Never had an issue with that in any other game, and more surprised that turning off rumble isn't an option in the game settings as far as I could tell.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The only things that convince me to buy their consoles every time is Zelda, 3D Mario, and Metroid Prime.

I will usually get Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Pikmin, plus Fire Emblem although that series is going in a worrisome direction.

I'd add F-zero but they decided to stop making that series after releasing the best racing game ever.

eh? what worrisome direction is this?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
eh? what worrisome direction is this?
The focus on face-petting/ dating simulator stuff. For the first two decades of the series, the core of fire emblem gameplay had been the mix of short and long term strategy/tactics, and Awakening and especially Fates moved away from that. Three Houses is a step back in the right direction and does certain things very well, making it probably the best FE game since Radiant Dawn, but things like the monastery got tedious quickly and just distracted from actually playing Fire Emblem.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I haven't gotten around to awakening and fates, but Echoes had no petting and was a full on AAA title with a fully voice acted main story. They're definitely getting rid of the dating sim stuff and treating it as a mainstream franchise.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I haven't gotten around to awakening and fates, but Echoes had no petting and was a full on AAA title with a fully voice acted main story. They're definitely getting rid of the dating sim stuff and treating it as a mainstream franchise.

There you are! Where ya'll been my dude, the Football thread isn't the same without your posts.
Wilson is MVP caliber this year

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The focus on face-petting/ dating simulator stuff. For the first two decades of the series, the core of fire emblem gameplay had been the mix of short and long term strategy/tactics, and Awakening and especially Fates moved away from that. Three Houses is a step back in the right direction and does certain things very well, making it probably the best FE game since Radiant Dawn, but things like the monastery got tedious quickly and just distracted from actually playing Fire Emblem.

it's an each their own (truly) but i never understood the hate on the "dating simulator" stuff. to be fair my FE experience is anything POR/Awakening (on) but there were always a "if you match so and so with so and so they do get married so having it more opened and you have a set x of A can marry B never bothered me.

Same with the monastery. i find it very enjoyable and when it getsto the point you don't need to be there you don't have to be there but I don't think it distracts from playing fire emblem, because (again my pov might skewed) - there was always a barracks/base camp to go to. the monastery is just more 3D/open to it vs watching the supports play out, you actually do what you tended to do"off screen" so to speak.

but again i will admit. i am fair easy when it comes to most of my games. I very rarely have issues with zelda, I very rarely have issues with Mario and for the FE's i've played don't have an issue with them either. i've got my favs/least favs, but i always replay them and i do gain a better appreciation of them. but thanks for answering :)

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it's just the literal dating simulator stuff though-- Just in a very broad and general sense, there's something about the wandering leer/thirsty gaze that Fire Emblem titles have in general that I find difficult to respect and not be put off by. Three Houses is supposed to be a move away from that, but I thought it was still a pretty bad offender, personally. There is still unmistakably a palpable Anime waifu fan-service vibe to it that's a definite put-off.

Like, I'm not a complete prude about that stuff in general and I'm not suggesting at all that media shouldn't use sex appeal as a tool at their disposal (even aggressively at times), but the aesthetic aspects and visual design choices of the games are just unapologetically done in such an across the board bland, lazy, and questionable way that I feel it greatly diminishes the soul, personality, and character of these games. Enough for it to be a consistent deal-breaker with the franchise for me, personally, even though its mechanics might otherwise be up my alley.

The response I hear is often "it could be/has been worse" or "if you think that's bad, get a load of this", but I don't find that to be a compelling pass.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The tea times are a bit weird and off-putting, yes, but that is a fairly minor oddity in my books. They are also easily avoidable if they aren't your...*ahem*...cup of tea.

Criticizing the aesthetics is very much valid.

However, in my mind, the game play (both in terms of the time management and the tactics RPG) are very good and make the game excellent. It's (very likely) my personal game of the year for that aspect. The narrative is pretty interesting and the characters are, for the most part, well fleshed out.

But screw that fishing minigame! :laugh:

I'm just speaking for Three Houses and not the franchise, as the latest Fire Emblem was my first. I played Awakening for a very short time, but didn't get into it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Fates definitely had its fair share of "Waifuism" and fanservice. Three Houses has toned that down considerably. The characters are still attractive but not over the top and many of them have hidden layers as explored in the supports.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I may have asked about this at some point earlier but I'll ask again because the definite edition is on sale. How does Diablo 3 run on the switch? Also have people enjoyed it on switch?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
With black friday coming up, anyone see some decent sales? I have been keeping my eye on Slickdeals. Trying to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on sale.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I may have asked about this at some point earlier but I'll ask again because the definite edition is on sale. How does Diablo 3 run on the switch? Also have people enjoyed it on switch?
I watch someone on Twitch play it often and it seems to run pretty smoothly and he enjoys it. Graphics will likely be slightly downgraded some but it still is fine to play.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Anyone here have the Switch lite? Personally I kinda like the more handheld driven design, I don't really care about not being able to play it on my TV. Wondering if it's worth picking it up on sale this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad