Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the question misses by the point by being too focused on the quantitative. One hour in a game like Vanquish isn't the same as one hour in Metal Gear.

You need way more than "number of hours played" to settle the qualitative question of "were you satisfied with this game?"
That's exactly what the discussion was meant to address-- and I think the three of us are all in agreement about that. It was spurred on by the recurring sentiment that a short game should not be $60-- an idea that is too focused on the quantitative. Commander Clueless and I both feel that that's more or less the case I think, but seem to differ on the degree that the quantitative considerations are irrelevant to its value.

Commander Clueless's position seems to be that it only has relevance once you consider what the game's going for (basically what you're saying in your example), whereas I don't think it's relevant at all even with those considerations in mind (to me, two extra hours loving every second of Metal Gear is not necessarily greater value than one extra hour loving every second of Metal Gear-- Regardless of the type of approach a game has, as far as duration goes, games should only ever be valued by how appropriate the amount is, not how abundant, IMO). What is the best $/hour game (which everyone seems to be throwing out now for some reason) is something that I don't think ever matters or that there's much of a point in ever considering, personally.

It's not really a debate though-- just bouncing perspectives off each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Commander Clueless

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How does one discuss appropriateness? Some people love excess. Some games I'd say standout in a positive way because of their excessiveness.
What do you mean? I'm just saying that it's not the case that more is inherently better, even when comparing identical things, so it shouldn't be viewed as something that correlates at all with value. What's appropriate is whatever length you think works (doesn't feel lacking or bloated to you). If a ludicrously lengthy duration is what you happen to think works in one case, then so be it-- That may be an appropriate length for that thing.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Super Mario Odyssey
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Luigi's Mansion 3

A perfect Super Mario Bros. themed trilogy.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Anyone else get really bad eye strain from playing handheld?

I recently started playing Overwatch handheld and at that same time my eyes have been hurting really bad and have been super bloodshot. I’m not necessarily sure they’re connected, but it started at the same time and my eyes certainly felt very strained after playing

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Slowly making my way through my Switch back log.

Played through Link's Awakening the past few weeks. I've also been playing Super Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion lately. Once I get through them, I'll probably start up BOTW and Civilization V (first time playing a Civ game). I've tried getting into Divinity: Original Sin 2 but it's a steep learning curve and it's been hard to get motivated to play it - although the writing and story seem fantastic.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Woah, rumor is nintendo switch will be on sale for 299 (226 US) with mario kart 8 on black friday at all major retailers in canada. Gonna have to jump on that, been too cheap until now.

I know I'll just get burned when they announce the switch pro in 6 months but whatever.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Woah, rumor is nintendo switch will be on sale for 299 (226 US) with mario kart 8 on black friday at all major retailers in canada. Gonna have to jump on that, been too cheap until now.

I know I'll just get burned when they announce the switch pro in 6 months but whatever.

I don't think that is true. Here is the sale Nintendo themselves are having. And apparently they are clearing out the HAC-001 version of the Switch if you read the fine print.

NINTENDO SWITCH BUNDLE WITH MARIO KART 8 DELUXE HIGHLIGHTS NINTENDOS BLACK FRIDAY OFFERS - Nintendo Official Site

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think that is true. Here is the sale Nintendo themselves are having. And apparently they are clearing out the HAC-001 version of the Switch if you read the fine print.

NINTENDO SWITCH BUNDLE WITH MARIO KART 8 DELUXE HIGHLIGHTS NINTENDOS BLACK FRIDAY OFFERS - Nintendo Official Site
Ah, that sucks. I might still look at it. However the rumors supposedly come from leaked best by ads so I'm still holding out hope that there are retailer exclusive deals

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Was playing Witcher 3 on the big screen this weekend and its not terrible. I think having your expectations appropriately set (i.e. expecting it to be totally unplayable) helps with adjusting to it, but it definitely works. Obviously looks better on the small screen, but its passable.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I'm kinda bored of Luigi's Mansion.

It does exactly what I expected it to do and pretty much exactly what I wanted, but thats only good for so much gameplay. I am on like the 11th or 12th floor and just have no motivation to keep going.

:dunno:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I picked up the Switch so I can check out Breath of the Wild. Anyone have any tips? I've only done 1 Divine Beast so far (the Zora one).

Occasional Hyrule Castle runs are great for the best weapons and shields.

You basically can get max health by just cooking durians and max stamina by just cooking endura carrots.

When fighting lynels, try to shock them or stun them with arrow headshots and then climb on their backs. That way, your sword won't get damaged as attacks while riding a lynel don't degrade your weapon for some reason.

After probably 50 or so hours of normal gameplay, you'll have an excess of so many regular enemy parts and minerals that you can sell a few hundred of each and essentially break the economy by having so much money.

Upgrading at fairy fountains is a must, so regarding the point above only make sure you sell common parts and minerals and never rarer minerals and beast parts as those are the core upgrade materials.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
And out of curiosity, how many main line Nintendo franchises do you all care about? I've basically realized that while I consider myself to be a Nintendo fan that I actually don't care about the majority of first party Nintendo franchises.

As in...

3D Zelda, 2D Zelda, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart = must buy.

2D Mario, Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox = I've collectively bought two games in these series in the past probably decade, and they were both 2D Marios, though I'm open to playing them.

Pokémon, Super Smash Bros, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing = honestly zero interest in any of them, though I did buy Brawl for the Wii.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And out of curiosity, how many main line Nintendo franchises do you all care about? I've basically realized that while I consider myself to be a Nintendo fan that I actually don't care about the majority of first party Nintendo franchises.

As in...

2D Mario, Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox = I've collectively bought two games in these series in the past probably decade, and they were both 2D Marios, though I'm open to playing them.

Pokémon, Super Smash Bros, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing = honestly zero interest in any of them, though I did buy Brawl for the Wii.
I like the core three: Mario/Zelda/Pokémon. I hope for a return of Star Fox. Love Smash. MOTHER is finished but one can dream. Fire Emblem is great with Three Houses.

don’t care at all for Pikmin. Ambivalent towards F-Zero but hope for a comeback. DK/Yoshi are usually good games along with Kirby. Love Splatoon. AC is good though I’m not as hyped for the new game as some people are.

I’m sure I missed a few franchises...

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Only franchise I would consider "must buy" at this point is Xenoblade, and that's only three games deep (unless you want to count Torna.)

Rest are case-by-case.

I want to be able to say Zelda, but honestly that franchise has been spotty as hell post-Wind Waker.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Zelda and Mario are basically my 1 and 2 as far as videogame IPs go.

Donkey Kong Country is fine, but I haven't really played much of them. Starfox, Pokemon and Kirby are completely off my radar.

Pikmin, Splatoon, Metroid.....they're games I look forward to and hope are good, but I a still not too invested in them.

If anything I am just a Zelda fanboy. But even then I was almost fully done with the series (at least 3D incarnations) until BOTW. I wasn't actually hyped for BOTW at all because Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword bored the living shit out of me. I actually thought BOTW looked kinda bad leading up to release.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa

As in...

It's my first Nintendo system since N64. Lol. Loved Zelda's (all of them but never played anything after N64). Mario Kart. It's hard to remember since it's been so long.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Occasional Hyrule Castle runs are great for the best weapons and shields.

You basically can get max health by just cooking durians and max stamina by just cooking endura carrots.

When fighting lynels, try to shock them or stun them with arrow headshots and then climb on their backs. That way, your sword won't get damaged as attacks while riding a lynel don't degrade your weapon for some reason.

After probably 50 or so hours of normal gameplay, you'll have an excess of so many regular enemy parts and minerals that you can sell a few hundred of each and essentially break the economy by having so much money.

Upgrading at fairy fountains is a must, so regarding the point above only make sure you sell common parts and minerals and never rarer minerals and beast parts as those are the core upgrade materials.
Also how early can you start to do Castle runs? Where it makes sense and won't get killed instantly. I appreciate all the advice everyone is giving.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Also how early can you start to do Castle runs? Where it makes sense and won't get killed instantly. I appreciate all the advice everyone is giving.

I'd probably say that you can try to do hit and runs after you start feeling comfortable fighting single guardians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad